The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Computer Science Paper 1 (H446/01) - 12th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your OCR A-level Computer Science Paper 1 exam go today?

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 12 Jun 2023/ PM
Length: 2h 30m
Congratulations on finishing your exam today
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
whenever anyone sees this, what predictions do you all have for questions/topics . Lmc is almost definite i think
Reply 2
Original post by helluzaa
whenever anyone sees this, what predictions do you all have for questions/topics . Lmc is almost definite i think

i mean the spec is limited and the ammount of questions they can ask is also limited i.e a register is a register 3 years later, explain FDE cycle is still gone be the same explain FDE cycle so to be honest is hard to predict but also easy, it gonna be the same things recycled
Reply 3
cs is easy honestly just learn the definitions
never something to be scared for
Reply 4
(Original post by unknown0609)cs is easy honestly just learn the definitions
never something to be scared for

as long as you learn how to create psudecode for things and sharpen your probelm solving skillls and learn the key skills you should be ayt
Reply 5

Yeah LMC always shows up. Usually there's a bit of everything. I hope applications generation isn't as those questions are harder to answer
any advice on how to answer pseudocode questions?
Reply 7
Original post by Pwca

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 12 Jun 2023/ PM
Length: 2h 30m

Does anyone have notes made on a google docs or something?? i have some missing parts in mine 😭
Reply 8
How certain are you guys about networks coming up?
I also really hope we get a lot more HTML/CCS questions, i prefer them over databases lol
Reply 9
Networks always shows up
Original post by amroelata
How certain are you guys about networks coming up?
I also really hope we get a lot more HTML/CCS questions, i prefer them over databases lol
Original post by cicciosisi
i mean the spec is limited and the ammount of questions they can ask is also limited i.e a register is a register 3 years later, explain FDE cycle is still gone be the same explain FDE cycle so to be honest is hard to predict but also easy, it gonna be the same things recycled

bro can you please tell me the fde cycle step by step, because every website i use tells me something different, from what I understand it is this:
Fetch stage:
1)The PC loads the address of the next instruction to be executed
2) The contents of the PC are copied to the MAR
3) The MAR sends the address to main memory via the address bus and waits for a control signal
4) The main memory receives a signal from the control unit and pushes the data on the data bus to the MDR
5) the MDR temporarily holds the Data until the contents of the PC are incremented by 1
6) the contents of the MDR is copied to the CIR

Decode Stage:
1) the data stored in the CIR is split into opcode and operand, opcode tells us what the instruction is and the operand tells us who to preform it on.

Execute:
the relevant instructions are carried out

please tell me if i missed anything or got anything wrong.
Reply 11
Original post by gogetter2k19
bro can you please tell me the fde cycle step by step, because every website i use tells me something different, from what I understand it is this:
Fetch stage:
1)The PC loads the address of the next instruction to be executed
2) The contents of the PC are copied to the MAR
3) The MAR sends the address to main memory via the address bus and waits for a control signal
4) The main memory receives a signal from the control unit and pushes the data on the data bus to the MDR
5) the MDR temporarily holds the Data until the contents of the PC are incremented by 1
6) the contents of the MDR is copied to the CIR

Decode Stage:
1) the data stored in the CIR is split into opcode and operand, opcode tells us what the instruction is and the operand tells us who to preform it on.

Execute:
the relevant instructions are carried out

please tell me if i missed anything or got anything wrong.

The main points are:
1. Data is copied from pc to mar
2. Pc is incremented by 1
3. Data in mar is passed onto address bus
4. read signal is sent into control bus
4. ram copies data from location specified by the address bus onto the data bus
6. data on the data bus is passed onto the Mdr
7. data is copied from mdr to cir
decode
8. load instruction from address in mar pointed to mdr
9. Instruction copied from mdr to cir and is decided into opcode and operand by the control unit in the cir
execute
10. the appropriate instruction opcode is carried out on the operand by the processor
do we have to know the methods of implementation? like phased, direct, pilot and parallel?
Reply 13
Original post by hhhhheeeee
do we have to know the methods of implementation? like phased, direct, pilot and parallel?

doing gcse and a level of CS and i never heard of that ??
Reply 14
anyone got a list of things that they think may come up. I'm thinking LMC, two's complement/sign and mag, and also normalisation of numbers. What could the longer mark questions (12 marker and 9 marker) be about?
Reply 15
9 markers on the as paper 1 this year were magnetic vs flash storage for storing video and peer-to-peer vs client-server networks, so safe to say we wont get big questions on those topics
Reply 16
ill cry if twos complement comes up icl
Reply 17
ill cry if twos complement comes up icl

It's not looking good for u i can't lie as this is a fundamental
Original post by Mo123412
It's not looking good for u i can't lie as this is a fundamental

do u know aobut normalisation
Reply 19
anyone got key points and tips for normalisation of numbers (floating point binary etc.) and for twos complement and sign and mag

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending