The Student Room Group

English literature degree?

Hi guys.

I know TSR (like many other websites) is generally very STEM-advocate, but if I could have some unbiased advice I’d appreciate it.

I’m currently on a gap year and have been considering - for the LONGEST time - what I should study at university. The one thing I keep coming back to is English, but there seems to be such a divide on whether it’s a good idea or not.

I know ultimately it’s something I need to decide for myself, but I need some advice. I’ve thought about engineering and computer science and all the cushy STEM degrees that everyone promotes, but I unfortunately have little interest in them.

My worst nightmare is falling back into retail once I’ve graduated, so I’d like to know if there’s anything I could do to minimise the chances of that happening should I undertake a literature degree?

I don’t really want to go into teaching. Marketing, technical writing, advertisement, etc, all sound like pretty cool opportunities, but I’ve heard they’re extremely competitive and whether I’d even have a shot.

Any input would be great, thanks.
Reply 1
Hey, this is a stage where most people get confused about what to do and it is quite normal. What I will suggest is to give time to yourself and explore your hobbies and interest. Once you have explored it, then discover various career opportunities that are linked to your hobbies and interest. Do not look at the competition, there is competition in almost every field. So, do not look that way. Once you explore your hobbies and interests, do let me know. Happy to suggest some career options available similar to that. :smile:
Original post by m0on4ge_d4ydreAm
Hi guys.

I know TSR (like many other websites) is generally very STEM-advocate, but if I could have some unbiased advice I’d appreciate it.

I’m currently on a gap year and have been considering - for the LONGEST time - what I should study at university. The one thing I keep coming back to is English, but there seems to be such a divide on whether it’s a good idea or not.

I know ultimately it’s something I need to decide for myself, but I need some advice. I’ve thought about engineering and computer science and all the cushy STEM degrees that everyone promotes, but I unfortunately have little interest in them.

My worst nightmare is falling back into retail once I’ve graduated, so I’d like to know if there’s anything I could do to minimise the chances of that happening should I undertake a literature degree?

I don’t really want to go into teaching. Marketing, technical writing, advertisement, etc, all sound like pretty cool opportunities, but I’ve heard they’re extremely competitive and whether I’d even have a shot.

Hi,

It's great to hear you are thinking of doing an English degree! I have just completed mine at Southampton and can honestly say the experience has been incredible. It is common to hear that the career opportunities for English graduates are limited, however having a quick look at the Southampton career page on the English section tells a very different story. In summary the page explains how an English degree will really develop your skills in critical thinking, research, presenting, project management and writing, all of which are attractive skills for employers. The page also outlines some of the careers that English graduates at Southampton have gone on to have. These include: administration, advertising, business, creative writing, government, including the civil service, journalism, marketing, media, publishing, public relations, teaching and translation.

From this it can be seen that there are lots of career opportunities for those holding an English degree and hopefully it gives you some inspiration to explore the opportunities that are currently out there. I would encourage you to take the time to think about what it is that you genuinely enjoy and think you could spend three years studying. A degree is an investment of time as well as money and therefore you should follow your genuine interests as this will turn out to be far more rewarding in the long run.

Whilst it is true that some industries are competitive, if you don't try you will never know if you could have been successful. Putting yourself in the best position through getting as good a degree as possible, getting relevant work experience and showcasing genuine enthusiasm will really help and you may be pleasantly surprised at where you end up. You have just as good a chance as anyone else, if you really want something go for it!

I will link the Southampton page below, I'd encourage you to have a look. The department and the course have really been amazing and I couldn't recommend it enough.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/english-degree-ba#careers

If you have any more questions, please do ask.

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Hi guys.

Hello there,

I'm currently a student studying English Literature and Creative Writing at Lancaster University. I'm going to graduate next month and I can honestly say the opportunities and experience you gain from doing an English degree is incredible. While STEM subjects are often promoted as the big subjects that grant opportunity, Literature absolutely offers equally valuable life skills for your CV. It isn't just about the fictional side. Universities offer a wide range of courses that I am in no doubt will satisfy what you want to achieve.

While the job market is incredibly competitive, there is no shortage of internships and other paid opportunities (at least at my university) that will cater to what you're invested in. You mention not wanting to go into teaching, but the truth is any subject you do at university will give you the opportunity to become a teacher or university lecturer in that subject, so you won't have to worry about that because you chose English; I don't know many course mates who want to teach. In fact, because I also do Creative Writing alongside the literary modules, I know a lot of students who want to go into academic journalism, non-fiction writers and literary critics. If writing isn't your passion, universities do offer various joint majors (i.e at my university alongside English Literature, students may also do History, Politics, Geography, a foreign language etc. There is no real opportunity limit when you're looking for a university. You will find one that caters to the exact profession you are interested in, including marketing, technical writing and advertisement).

If you're invested in getting a degree, make sure you take the time to look at your university department constantly for internship opportunities and maybe consider a placement year. Though I did not do a placement, I have a friend who took one and worked in marketing for a year via internship. Lancaster also has four literary journals (Flux, Errant, Lux and Cake) which you can apply for if you want more jouranlistic practice.

I will link Lancaster University's departmental page for literature if you want to take a look: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/english-literature-ba-hons-q300/

If you scroll to the bottom you can see the plethra of potential joint majors. In your first year you are also able to choose an optional module in practially any humanities subject as well which you can drop at the end of the year without it affecting your degree if you're struggling on degree pathways!

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions!

Dominic,
English Literature and Creative Writing Student Ambassador at Lancaster University
Hi guys.

Outcomes for STEM and non-STEM graduates in the long term tend to be similar.

Your employability is primarily based on what you do to make yourself employable, not what degree you study. Most graduate schemes don't have any subject requirements and indeed do not even care what you studied (or where you studied it) as the degree is just a tick box, and provided you tick that box they will assess the rest of your application.

What will make a difference in getting a job as a graduate is having pursued internship/placement/work experience opportunities wherever possible to build your CV, and preparing for the assessment centres and psychometric tests used to ensure you pass through to interview.

If you just turn up to your lectures for 3 years and take the exams but have nothing else to show for your time at uni, you will be about as employable as a school leaver, regardless of what subject you studied.
Reply 5
Hi guys.

Hi,

My name is Emmanuel and I'm a 3rd Year student of History & Politics at Lancaster University. I was also very much in a position where important figures in my life were encouraging and pushing me toward a STEM degree in my final year at school. However, I made the decision that was best for myself, and those people in my life have come round to the benefits of the decision I made. I guess I will just list down some important considerations from my experiences that may help you in your decision:

1) A degree is going to take (in most cases) no less than three years of your life. STEM degrees might sound appealing on paper, but the act of getting up and studying for something to suit a distant end goal can become a struggle very quickly. Employability is obviously a huge component of the decisions people make in terms of the choice of their degree and uni, but how much are you willing to sacrifice in order to achieve this goal?

2) Lots of other people that might not love or excel the most at STEM degrees might be in similar positions to you and so that is a factor that increases competitiveness. I personally found it a lot easier to just focus on myself and my passions and what would maximize the skills I have at my disposal.

3) This is the big one for me: not all paths to success are uniform. And employability isn't exclusively the product of your degree. That's why I love being at Lancaster University, because I've become a Student Ambassador at the Uni for the History and Politics Departments, done a lot of student volunteering, and gained a lot of transferrable skills through part time employment that have been really useful in interviews and job applications. I'm planning to study a Master's but rejected jobs offer I received earlier in the year and the work I did outside of my degree helped so much on that journey. I also do Sport's Journalism as freelance work and so I'd say any opportunities you have to build up your portfolio and do what you love at your convenience are just as important as what goes on in the lecture hall or the seminar room.

Regarding English, I have many friends that are taking different paths after their Undergraduate degrees, so I guess it's a case of seeing what you don't want to do (classic route of teaching in your case) and seeing how you could connect with other opportunities you mentioned of interest to the skills and topics you might grasp from an English degree. More and more people have degrees these days, so from my experience and networking, often it's a Master's and/or additional extracurriculars that set people apart with regard to employability. And there's always something to be said for enjoying the experience of learning for its own sake. If you've deliberated a long time and feel English is what you want to do, there's probably something in that.

Hopefully those reflections from myself are a little useful and don't hesitate to get back in touch with me if you wish to ask questions or discuss more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending