The Student Room Group

Has anyone done the English Literature and Creative Writing Course

Hi, i wanted to do the combined Lit and CW course when i go to university, but was hoping someone could tell me if it is good, and what universities are best for the course?
Original post by qdxisy
Hi, i wanted to do the combined Lit and CW course when i go to university, but was hoping someone could tell me if it is good, and what universities are best for the course?

Hi!

I'm currently studying for the MA in Creative and Critical Writing here in Suffolk.

Our BA offers you the option, in your second year, to choose between linguistics, creative writing or English pathways, where you select between different modules and focus on the things you're passionate about. You can of course, combine literature with the creative writing work. And it's definitely something that links well together!

If you would like to chat with some of our students, you can do so on the Unibuddy app or simply on our site. I will link the course page right here where you can see the modules we have and all other important information: https://www.uos.ac.uk/study/ba-english/

Hope that helps and good luck with your search!
Milena 🙂
Original post by qdxisy

Hi!I studied English Literature and Creative Writing at the University of Manchester, so I'll tell you what I think would be helpful to you:

I usually had 2/3 of my week and work be Literature based. So being expected to read 2/3 texts a week, and then go to the lecture and seminar on them. This gives you a range of knowledge about different genres and historical books/poems/plays. For assessment, you would pick one of these to write about and have around 2 weeks to write an essay and research it with sources and quotes.

My other 1/3 was Creative Writing (and I'm like you where I'm very passionate about this!) For this class, we worked on a rota where you would bring in a short story or poem to be workshopped, so everyone would critique it and give feedback, then you could hand it in for your coursework. I really enjoyed writing, but didn't find this the most useful and sometimes it was tricky to come up with stuff when not inspired. Having the literature alongside helped inspire me, and I loved the Creative Writing classes we had as well.

If this sounds like a good mix to you then those are the kinds of questions to ask unis at open days! Things like how it will be assessed and the split between Literature and Creative Writing will be useful, as well as if you can meet any of your professors! (and ask if they will be the one teaching you!)I hope that helps and best of luck with your degree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending