The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Law Paper 2 (7162/2) - 6th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Hajiraahm
I talked about them in the context of primary victim, how many marks do you think I’ll lose

They mark law positively (i.e. you gain marks up to a cap rather than lose them) so you may have only lost a few marks if the rest of your answer is good. It'll depend on how you've argued your points of course but you might not be penalised too heavily
I used Watt v Hertfordshire Council instead of Bolton v Stone because of the 'importance of the activity' outweighing duty of care, as the risk was socially important (saving someones life)
today's exam was interesting. just so grateful that it was fault and vicarious liability!!!!

and no occupiers liability!!!
How did everyone answer the 1st 5 marker, it stumped me
Original post by Hajiraahm
Was Zen not a primary victim as they were directly involved in the incident since it said they saw it?

He was a secondary victim and he wasn’t in the zone of danger from the ambulance, however he could claim whilst Yasmin couldn’t as she didn’t witness the event and wasn’t in the immediate aftermath considering she was in the shower and it was saying ‘eventually’ indicating some time had passed since the ambulance collision between Will and Xavier.
Original post by Strawberrysh
How did everyone answer the 1st 5 marker, it stumped me

Which one, the conditional fee agreements?
Original post by Starrytillymae
today's exam was interesting. just so grateful that it was fault and vicarious liability!!!!

Original post by hannah9982
I used Watt v Hertfordshire Council instead of Bolton v Stone because of the 'importance of the activity' outweighing duty of care, as the risk was socially important (saving someones life)

I used both, however I said it fails considering the context was too simplistic in context to be a social benefit and the driver would have seen the child frosting
Original post by Salaalalaa192993
He was a secondary victim and he wasn’t in the zone of danger from the ambulance, however he could claim whilst Yasmin couldn’t as she didn’t witness the event and wasn’t in the immediate aftermath considering she was in the shower and it was saying ‘eventually’ indicating some time had passed since the ambulance collision between Will and Xavier.

actually i've seen a lot of mixed views on whether he was a primary or secondary victim! personally i believe he was a primary victim as it states in the textbook that bystanders can claim for what they have seen. although i do also agree that he wasn't in the vicinity where he could've feared personal danger. i guess that's the debate the examiners wanted us to have
Yeah, if all depends on how well you solidify your side of the debate - that’s law in a nutshell 😅
Reply 69
Original post by t8rtaglia
mfw I spend two years learning and revising Occupier's Liability only for it to not come up at all

soooo annoyed is an understatement
Reply 70
Original post by unknown05
soooo annoyed is an understatement

same all the teachers i asked said it was probably this
got to learn everything
i have to say i missed some detail i should have included in the last 30 marker :frown:
Reply 71
Original post by Joeshirley
Nuisance - liable. Injunction for night time, not for day time as only affects tv (hunter v Canary Wharf) also public benefit would outweigh at day time (miller v Jackson)
RvF - straight forward. Liable, defence of stranger fails as D is aware of the action.
Negligence - complicated, not liable as I found no DOC as not J,F,R (Hill v CC West Yorkshire) and no breach, ambulance can’t go slower due to emergency, also contributory negligence.
Nervous shock 1 - not liable fails Alcock test (prox of relationship)
Nervous shock 2 - not liable as again I argued D not negligent!

I agree with the majority apart from the liability in psychiatric harm. I said that the neighbour does satisfy the Alcock criteria. Although she doesn’t have close ties of love and affection she knew the boy since birth which was over 10 years which can be a close type of relationship. So I said she can claim for psychiatric harm
Reply 72
Original post by kalitorus
Yh I got that too. I said if she had answered the door when zen was calling for her and saw will in his state when he had just gotten hit then that would’ve been fine but as she only witnessed him in tears it doesnt qualify as immediate aftermath

i said the mum failed bcos of the ronayne v liverpool womens hospital case that a hospital sight is not sufficient enough for psychiatric injury do you think that’s okay - i said she didn’t witness the horrific event but didn’t use a case for the time proximity, just the womens hospital one
Reply 73
Original post by lawenghis
i said the mum failed bcos of the ronayne v liverpool womens hospital case that a hospital sight is not sufficient enough for psychiatric injury do you think that’s okay - i said she didn’t witness the horrific event but didn’t use a case for the time proximity, just the womens hospital one

i used a similar case and said the same thing
Reply 74
Original post by Jacobcx1
I agree with the majority apart from the liability in psychiatric harm. I said that the neighbour does satisfy the Alcock criteria. Although she doesn’t have close ties of love and affection she knew the boy since birth which was over 10 years which can be a close type of relationship. So I said she can claim for psychiatric harm

It’s the public policy situation, something I wrote about in the ELS section of Q11, the tests are so strict to limit the amount of people that can claim, I may be mistaken but I believe to pass the Alcock test, you have to be either parent/child or husband/wife relationship
Reply 75
It’s the public policy situation, something I wrote about in the ELS section of Q11, the tests are so strict to limit the amount of people that can claim, I may be mistaken but I believe to pass the Alcock test, you have to be either parent/child or husband/wife relationship

It is to limit claims but as in Alcock there's only a requirement for close ties of love and affection. The exact definition of that is uncertain - there are presumptions (child-parent and spouses) which will succeed majority of times (estranged spouses or children may be cause for rejection of the claim). A friend probably wouldn't succeed but the traumatic element of the event actually increases the people who can claim (also established in Alcock lmao) so it would depend. That's why in law essays you more argue perspectives than give absolutes because we are not judges and know a limited number of cases
Reply 76
No l

Original post by Salaalalaa192993

Zen cannot claim. She doesn't pass step 1 of the Alcock criteria despite her being a close friend/neighbour as the close ties of love and affection only apply to Parents, Children and Spouses.

Yasmin, on the other hand, can claim.immediate aftermath passes Under McLoughlin v O'Brien and the case of Galli-Atkinson, the time lag was presumably less than 8 hours and courts accept anything up to 8 hours but prefer closer to 2.

And it was unaided senses. Xavier should've been found negligent and so both were secondary victims
Reply 77

Yeah this is right, under the Alcock criteria, not even siblings could claim so I'd find it hard to believe a close family friend would be able to
Reply 78
actually i've seen a lot of mixed views on whether he was a primary or secondary victim! personally i believe he was a primary victim as it states in the textbook that bystanders can claim for what they have seen. although i do also agree that he wasn't in the vicinity where he could've feared personal danger. i guess that's the debate the examiners wanted us to have

I argued secondary purely for the fact that Zen cam outside after she heard the incident, meaning she didn't initially witness it. Can see how bystander would work though! Definitely a debate they wanted to have but I was running out of time to debate it 😩
Original post by kiwibear18
No l

Zen cannot claim. She doesn't pass step 1 of the Alcock criteria despite her being a close friend/neighbour as the close ties of love and affection only apply to Parents, Children and Spouses.

Yasmin, on the other hand, can claim.immediate aftermath passes Under McLoughlin v O'Brien and the case of Galli-Atkinson, the time lag was presumably less than 8 hours and courts accept anything up to 8 hours but prefer closer to 2.

And it was unaided senses. Xavier should've been found negligent and so both were secondary victims

nah. I talked to my teacher about it and she said that Xen is able to claim considering it explicitly stated she knew him 'since birth' there's inference clearly he had built a relationship since young age and there's bound to be clear affection - and Yasmin is unable to claim considering she didn't witness the event in the immediate aftermath. Either way its positive marking regarding law as my teacher marked the papers for A level last year and the year before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending