The Student Room Group

Exploring law conference

I managed to get a place on the Cambridge Exploring law conference. It's a residential so I would miss 4 days of school but this could be really good for my application. I'm worried because I can't find any reviews of the experience.

Could anyone give me advice? Should I go or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hicweondksc
I managed to get a place on the Cambridge Exploring law conference. It's a residential so I would miss 4 days of school but this could be really good for my application. I'm worried because I can't find any reviews of the experience.
Hi, I have also received email about being accepted. But the dates mentioned in the email for payment are in February, while the email is received on 7th Mar. Has anyone received a similar email with such dates?
Original post by stud89
Hi, I have also received email about being accepted. But the dates mentioned in the email for payment are in February, while the email is received on 7th Mar. Has anyone received a similar email with such dates?

In the email it told me that 7th of March is the deadline for accepting your place at the conference, whilst the residential would be from the 25th to 28th of March. This should be your Easter School Holiday week (as it is for most schools).
Reply 3
Original post by stud89
I have that as well. I think that means we were waitlisted and some people didn't accept their places so they sent these emails to us without changing the dates.
Reply 4
Original post by peachymuffin
In the email it told me that 7th of March is the deadline for accepting your place at the conference, whilst the residential would be from the 25th to 28th of March. This should be your Easter School Holiday week (as it is for most schools).
It's weirdly not during my Easter holiday week, I think that may be due to my county's holidays being different from the rest of the country sometimes.
(edited 1 month ago)
It's weirdly not during my Easter holiday week, I think that may be due to my county's holidays being different from the rest of the country sometimes.

Oh that's super weird!! When is your holiday week then? But I'm sure your teachers would excuse your absence as this is for academic reasons, so it shouldn't affect your attendance (if you tell them ofc).
Reply 6
Oh that's super weird!! When is your holiday week then? But I'm sure your teachers would excuse your absence as this is for academic reasons, so it shouldn't affect your attendance (if you tell them ofc).
The week after! I'm sure my school will allow it anyway though.
The week after! I'm sure my school will allow it anyway though.

Yeah they should! Double check with your teachers! But does that mean you're going to the law conference? 😁
Reply 8
Yeah they should! Double check with your teachers! But does that mean you're going to the law conference? 😁
I will be going, it's a good opportunity
I will be going, it's a good opportunity

That's amazing! See you there 😁
hi! i'm in the same position. i finish the week after the conference takes places, so i'd have to miss 4 days of school - have you contacted your school to let them know? will it affect your attendance? :smile:
I did the law conference last year - highly recommend :smile:
Original post by erin11
I did the law conference last year - highly recommend :smile:
is there anything in particular to bring? no need for laptop? was the food nice?
Original post by Anonymous #1
is there anything in particular to bring? no need for laptop? was the food nice?
yes, laptop and the food was great! you have a bit of free time though so can go to the shops if you don’t like it lol - you have a decent bit of freedom as you’re basically treated like a proper student (to a certain degree)
(edited 1 month ago)
Thnx for replying:smile:
is laptop just for personal use? Not necessary to bring? There's free wii fi connection?
Is there drop off point/parking for parents to drop us off? And pick us up too
Original post by erin11
yes, laptop and the food was great! you have a bit of free time though so can go to the shops if you don’t like it lol - you have a decent bit of freedom as you’re basically treated like a proper student (to a certain degree)
Oh is the Accommodation nice? Individual rooms or sharing?
Original post by crude-ferment
Thnx for replying:smile:
is laptop just for personal use? Not necessary to bring? There's free wii fi connection?
Is there drop off point/parking for parents to drop us off? And pick us up too
Im not sure about parking as I travelled independently by train.
You don't have to bring your laptop, but I do recommend it and most people used laptops during lectures - if you prefer to use pen and paper for lectures, thats also fine :smile:
For accommodation, you will be randomly allocated to a college (I was at St Catherines) and we all had individual rooms
Original post by erin11
Im not sure about parking as I travelled independently by train.
You don't have to bring your laptop, but I do recommend it and most people used laptops during lectures - if you prefer to use pen and paper for lectures, thats also fine :smile:
For accommodation, you will be randomly allocated to a college (I was at St Catherines) and we all had individual rooms
When did you receive information about times and where you were staying? It's in a week and I haven't heard anything yet
When did you receive information about times and where you were staying? It's in a week and I haven't heard anything yet
I heard around the 6th March 2023 for the conference on 27-29th March 2023
Reply 19
Yes, I havent heard anything about accommodation as well. I sent an email today to ask about it, but curious to know if anyone else has received information about accommodation.
Also, I was hoping to receive detailed program schedule for the days of the conference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending