The Student Room Group

Who regrets the outcome of Brexit??

Poll

What do you favour?

Poll attached. Me personally I voted leave got carried away with their rhetoric but it was utter BS. I regret it and we should have kept the deal we had. I wish we still had free movement guaranteed in our future.
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Poll attached. Me personally I voted leave got carried away with their rhetoric but it was utter BS. I regret it and we should have kept the deal we have. I wish we still had free movement guaranteed in our future.
350 million to the NHS bus.
I favour re joining but dunno how practical it is. The half in half out approach or Cananorway 2.2+ etc was never going to work so I don't consider that.
It is pleasing to see a Brexiter concede that they fell for the vacuous rhetoric.

Rather than trying to address the fiscal and economic issues Britain faced, 52% of the population decided to disavow themselves of any sense of responsibility for the state of our country and blame the EU for our problems. And here we are, having dug the hole even deeper.

If it become politically viable, I'd happily re-join the EU.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Gazpacho.
It is pleasing to see a Brexiter concede that they fell for the vacuous rhetoric.
Rather than trying to address the fiscal and economic issues Britain faced, 52% of the population decided to disavow themselves of any sense of responsibility for the state of our country and blame the EU for our problems. And here we are, having dug the hole even deeper.
If it become politically viable, I'd happily re-join the EU.

Wouldn't we have to join the euro if we did? I think the single market and customs union is a better idea. So long as we had free movement that would be enough.
Wouldn't we have to join the euro if we did? I think the single market and customs union is a better idea. So long as we had free movement that would be enough.
probably, we had a decent deal but messed it
Ed Davey should have rejoining within the liberal democrat manifesto because Keir certainly will not.

But that's just it, weren't these 'half in half out' options all touted and we got roundly told to get lost? We seemingly totally failed to read the room in our demands there.

The fact we didn't need to join the Euro before just underlines the cushy special treatment we already had and threw away, and after what we've let happen to the £ we don't have many reason left to sneer at the Euro.
Original post by StriderHort
But that's just it, weren't these 'half in half out' options all touted and we got roundly told to get lost? We seemingly totally failed to read the room in our demands there.
The fact we didn't need to join the Euro before just underlines the cushy special treatment we already had and threw away, and after what we've let happen to the £ we don't have many reason left to sneer at the Euro.

The idea of being in a 'USE' and in the euro is actually pretty romantic. We could be a republic and everything. Just a shame the euro seems so dysfunctional in what it's done to southern Europe.
Rejoining the EU or, keeping the Brexit that we have whilst I flex my EU Citizenship.
Given that we had a favourable membership before, I can't imagine we'll get the same by going back. But yes, I favour rejoining rather than banging the "will of the people" drum for the rest of my life.
Original post by random_matt
Ed Davey should have rejoining within the liberal democrat manifesto because Keir certainly will not.
Didn't they effectively do that in 2019, and proceed to be trounced?
Original post by Smack
Didn't they effectively do that in 2019, and proceed to be trounced?
The majority of polls show a preference of rejoining. The past is kind of irrelevant, a bunch of people got suckered bad. Anyway, I will only vote if that is part of a manifesto, they can all **** themselves otherwise.
Original post by random_matt
The majority of polls show a preference of rejoining. The past is kind of irrelevant, a bunch of people got suckered bad. Anyway, I will only vote if that is part of a manifesto, they can all **** themselves otherwise.

The main political parties will be running focus groups to determine what the key issues are amongst the voters they are targeting. Even though apparently the polls are showing a majority to re-join, it doesn't look like it's a particularly big issue amongst voters any more, otherwise more parties would be taking a stronger re-join stance.
Original post by Smack
The main political parties will be running focus groups to determine what the key issues are amongst the voters they are targeting. Even though apparently the polls are showing a majority to re-join, it doesn't look like it's a particularly big issue amongst voters any more, otherwise more parties would be taking a stronger re-join stance.

So true to form, they only wanted to rejoin when the public didn't. Now they do, they can't rejoin. Seems like politicians just love screwing the people of this country so much.
Reply 15
Poll attached. Me personally I voted leave got carried away with their rhetoric but it was utter BS. I regret it and we should have kept the deal we had. I wish we still had free movement guaranteed in our future.
I voted Leave and would vote leave again. Most people I know voted leave and many of these were Polish people living in the UK - they know how corrupt the EU is. The actual problem with Brexit is how it was enacted once the vote was cast. Going from one system of being in the EU and then totally out of it just because a few % of the population voted one way was wrong. We should have respected the 48% who wanted to remain and said - we will work with the EU to keep the status quo for 1-2 years whilst we all work out the legal complexities - it would have maintained better relations with the EU countries and better for trade for all of us. But we had gungho poliiticans in charge at the time who had no respect for anyone.
Original post by mike44
I voted Leave and would vote leave again. Most people I know voted leave and many of these were Polish people living in the UK - they know how corrupt the EU is. The actual problem with Brexit is how it was enacted once the vote was cast. Going from one system of being in the EU and then totally out of it just because a few % of the population voted one way was wrong. We should have respected the 48% who wanted to remain and said - we will work with the EU to keep the status quo for 1-2 years whilst we all work out the legal complexities - it would have maintained better relations with the EU countries and better for trade for all of us. But we had gungho poliiticans in charge at the time who had no respect for anyone.

Lets face it, regardless of which way you voted the fact that such a wide reaching and near irreversible decision was made on the basis of a simple majority vote was always mental and going to end in lots of bitterness.
If you voted leave, I pretty much have no sympathy for you.

Remainers warned about the consequences of leaving the EU and saw that the government was spreading lies but were dismissed as project fear. Should’ve listened to us, you didn’t and have now put the UK (even those with EU citizenship) in this mess. 🫵🏾☠️
I don't regret the eu referendum or brexit.
Maybe there should have been a higher threshold level provision requiring a minimum 66%-75% of valid votes cast for the triggering article 50 to start the process of ending eu membership.

But I do regret the idiotic Boris and May government negotiations with the eu.
Particularly agreeing to the eu citizens settlement scheme, uk paying a financial settlement of tens of billions to the eu and the uk remaining within echr jurisdiction.
I think that a no deal without the echr or financial settlement provisions would have been vastly preferable to the Boris deal.
So the whole thing about the EU Army being a dangerous fantasy ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending