The Student Room Group

Dream came true

Well my friend who lives in the UK had a dream of his cousin getting shot who lives in Pakistan. 2 weeks later his cousin did get shot in the leg. Now I know this isn't final destination but is there any reasonable explanation here? I was shocked to hear this, and just couldn't believe what had happened. But thank god He's OK and is recovering in hospital...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just coincidence one believes.
Reply 2
pumpkin7
just coincidence one believes.

:withstupi
Reply 3
*just coincidence i believe..

better?
Reply 4
Hmmm.. So you think its a coincidence. Maybe ur right but everything happens for a reason.
sunny316
Hmmm.. So you think its a coincidence. Maybe ur right but everything happens for a reason.
Maybe to you, but I dont't believe in all that fate stuff.
Reply 6
Scientists recently announced that the laws of probability no longer apply and hence coincidences can never happen
Reply 7
sunny316

Yes, I have 5,549 hairs on my left arm. Any more and everything would be ****ed up!! :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Originally Posted by sunny316.
Well my friend who lives in the UK had a dream of his cousin getting shot who lives in Pakistan. 2 weeks later his cousin did get shot in the leg. Now I know this isn't final destination but is there any reasonable explanation here? I was shocked to hear this, and just couldn't believe what had happened. But thank god He's OK and is recovering in hospital...

I agree it happened for a reason.....just don't know why! Anyways is (s)he alright? Where was bouts was this in Pakistan? Yeah, danger exists everywhere.
Reply 9
SNAZZ42
I agree it happened for a reason.....

You jumped to that conclusion how exactly?
There is only one connection I can think of: your friend was fearful that his cousin was going to be shot, because for whatever reason (e.g. he was on the run from a gang/in the special police squad, whatever) there was a high chance of it, and consequently this fear crept into his dreams. Because there was this high chance in reality, he actually did get shot.

I refuse to believe that dreams are some sort of ethereal future prediction. What I'm fairly sure they are is a surfacing of subconscious fears, desires, etc.
Anthony Arundel
There is only one connection I can think of: your friend was fearful that his cousin was going to be shot, because for whatever reason (e.g. he was on the run from a gang/in the special police squad, whatever) there was a high chance of it, and consequently this fear crept into his dreams. Because there was this high chance in reality, he actually did get shot.

I refuse to believe that dreams are some sort of ethereal future prediction. What I'm fairly sure they are is a surfacing of subconscious fears, desires, etc.

Very good, we were all (or some of us) thinking it but it would involve too much typing to say it.
Coincidence....
Reply 13
What everyone's said.

The strangest thing that's happened to me was during my work experience. I met a guy called Sanil (also on work experience in the hospital). His mother had died a few years beforehand due to cancer. A friend of mine lost his mother to cancer a week, possibly 2 weeks before I did my work experience, his name also being Sanil. Strange.
Reply 14
Omgz I'm A Spiritualist Now!
Simple explanation: how many dreams have you had in your life and how many have come true? Exactly.
Reply 16
cheesecakebobby
Simple explanation: how many dreams have you had in your life and how many have come true? Exactly.

Yeah but like a dream came true. OMGZ!
sunny316

The only reason that something happens is because of the defined set of preceding events that had their exact permutation.
Reply 18
cheesecakebobby

The chances of dreams like that coming true are extremely small, yup. But I do think there are moments where weird stuff happens and it's not just a co-incidence. When I was 8 or 9, I dreamt about my grandmother for the first time, cant remember what happened but we came back in the afternoon after going out and there was a message on the answering machine from my granddad that she was not well. Freaked me out. 3 weeks later, I had another dream (only the 2nd time I'd dreamt about her). I remember it quite well, she gave me a basket which some presents and small amounts of food inside and faded away. The next morning she had passed away.

But

"I refuse to believe that dreams are some sort of ethereal future prediction. What I'm fairly sure they are is a surfacing of subconscious fears, desires, etc."

Is probably right though.
I tend to agree with the line of thought that Anthony Arundel says. That dreams can often be linked to what we are thinking/feeling. To give a really simplistic example, you have an exam coming up and you are worried that you are going to fail it. You get worked up about it and end up dreaming that you have failed it - prehaps dreaming about reading the results slip and finding you have failed, or your tutor talking to you about it etc. You then go into the exam (more worried that you will fail) and then lo and behold, you fail it. There - dream came true. Just a coincidence that you dreamt that, and there was a large chance of it coming true - and it did.

Another point, think about all the times you have dreamt about various things, silly things, but also things that might happen. Hardely any of them will ever happen, so you forget about them, there is no reason to remember them. The one occasion that a dream does appear to become true, it seems a big deal, but think about all the 1000s of dreams that everyone has that never happen.

Latest

Trending

Trending