The Student Room Group

Welcome to TSR MUN II!

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Agent Smith, and I will be your Secretary General for this MUN. In the unlikely event of an emergency, exits are via 1) withdrawal or expulsion from the UN and 2) the little [X] button in the top right of your screen that will make TSR go away if it all gets too much. Thank you.

These are the final reps in MUN MkII, by continent:

UK - Wootcannon
Ireland - fr_browne
France - Carl
Belgium - Uma!r
Germany - aiman
Austria - austrian guy
Switzerland - turbochargedk
Italy - Dhesi
The Holy See (Observer) - smellielli
Malta - Roger Kirk
Spain - hello_miffy
Portugal - Dimez
Greece - ElWilson
Russia - jangliss
Latvia - MaxBlue
Lithuania - Kaiser124
The Ukraine - RichyP
Poland - belis
Hungary - n u c l e a r b u d d h a
The Czech Republic - ladydeborah
Albania - Witone
Norway - aronl
Sweden - nemell
Denmark - PadFoot90
Iceland - benthe
Bosnia and Herzegovina - NickC
Serbia and Montenegro - sr4470
Turkey - Jacques Derrida

The Sudan - amar183
Egypt - Scheherazade
Senegal - dismal_laundry
Nigeria - omonija
Zimbabwe - jasperstory
South Africa - javalinnn

Israel - gemgems89
The Palestinian Authority (Observer) - WHO?
Lebanon - Hobbesian
China - Nightowl
Taiwan - redeyejedi (Reallocation Pending)
Vietnam - deej2
Thailand - donniedarko
North Korea - thebucketwoman
South Korea - simeon125
Pakistan - ledzep15
India - brimstone
Sri Lanka - henryt
Iran - Socrates
Iraq - TSR_Princess
Japan - Lord Waddell
Syria - MMA
Afghanistan - Multiplexed
Uzbekistan - Bismarck
Kazakhstan - DPM
Saudi Arabia - 6+6=6
The United Arab Emirates - digitalparadox
Bahrain - groseille

Australia - Kalis
New Zealand - vierstein
Singapore - Knogle
Malaysia - strawberry
Indonesia - evertonia
The Marshall Islands - LoneFox

The US - JonathanH
Mexico - [B]paddylad[/B
Cuba - aaronc2
The Bahamas - Jack Twist
Canada - Dexnell
Brazil - UnaChance
Argentina - Refused
Venezuela - Northumbrian
Uruguay - Syntax
Peru - alispam

NB: PLEASE note: All reps are required to be at least moderately active, otherwise what's the point? If you bag a country but don't take part in the MUN you're wasting a perfectly good slot that another user could fill more productively. I hate to start the schoolteacher act right from the off, but that was one of the recurring problems of the first TSR MUN.

EDIT: If people other countries need representation more urgently than the ones we've got, I'm happy to change things.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First clash - aiman vs Kondar over the US. I have to inform you both that technically, aiman was first.
Reply 2
googlefight!

that should so be a MUN mechanism
Reply 3
Agent Smith
First clash - aiman vs Kondar over the US. I have to inform you both that technically, aiman was first.
Do you really think it is wise to hand the lone super power over to someone with less than 200 posts?

I am an American and I have been very active in D&D. Ive never even heard of aiman.

I submitted my request as soon as I saw the thread. Only four hours after you posted it, not four days.. I did it as soon as I was aware of it.
Reply 4
Kondar
Do you really think it is wise to hand the lone super power over to someone with less than 200 posts?

I am an American and I have been very active in D&D. Ive never even heard of aiman.

I submitted my request as soon as I saw the thread. Only four hours after you posted it, not four days.. I did it as soon as I was aware of it.
agreed....
Reply 5
Well, aiman got in 20 minutes after. Keen. According to the signup rules, that consitutes a claim to representing the US. If you feel strongly that your claim is a better one because your experience outweighs aiman's keenness, I would suggest you discuss it with him via PM.
Reply 6
Hang on, since when did a change in SG mean the whole UN gets turned upside down?
Reply 7
Well, deej2's decision to step down coincided with lots of people deciding that radical reform was needed to breathe life into the MUN. What's the problem? I made it clear in the, for want of a better word, election campaign, that this would happen if I was elected SG. And I did ask for any objections when I accepted the post.
Reply 8
Is Israel not in the Europe (WEOG) group?
Well if Israel is part of Europe then Turkey definitely is.
From a geographical stand-point.
Reply 10
Agent Smith
Well, deej2's decision to step down coincided with lots of people deciding that radical reform was needed to breathe life into the MUN. What's the problem? I made it clear in the, for want of a better word, election campaign, that this would happen if I was elected SG. And I did ask for any objections when I accepted the post.

You accepted the post less than 24 hours ago, I havent had time to check the posts in that timeframe. I havent seen anything that stated you would reassign all the UN member states to TSR members. I did see something to the effect that you would contact members or confirm that they wanted to retain their position.

--------------

Carl
Is Israel not in the Europe (WEOG) group?

Yes, because none of the Arab nations accepts its position in the Middle East.
Reply 11
"Western Europe and Others" meaning things between Europe and Asia? It might as well be, yes. But geographically I think it counts as Asia. It's not of any real consequence, it was just so people knew roughly what was what on the signup list.

--------------

Iran is in WEOG, apparently, and that I would certainly class as Asia.
Reply 12
Lets not get all excited, we can work through this as a group. I think it is a bad idea to just hand out countries to the first person who asks for them. I think participation is crucial to the survival of the UN. I also think that people should be informed ahead of time about any decisions before they are implemented.

Why not continue with the signup and find out where interests lie, then make a decision based on that in a few days- after EVERYONE has a chance to contribute.
Reply 13
I did imply (and the universal consensus was that it was badly needed) that re-jigging would be on the cards. Would you have preferred a full-on manifesto?

If you didn't have time to check the posts, then it's just bad luck that others managed to. I can't help that. Like I said to Kondar: if you feel your claim is stronger, take it up with the other claimants. Or I could even post a poll - when there are several evenly-matched takers for the very biggest countries, that might be the fairest way of sorting things out.
Reply 14
Agent Smith
"Western Europe and Others" meaning things between Europe and Asia? It might as well be, yes. But geographically I think it counts as Asia. It's not of any real consequence, it was just so people knew roughly what was what on the signup list.

--------------

Iran is in WEOG, apparently, and that I would certainly class as Asia.
Yes but politically Israel is in the same group as Europe and North America, for the reason given by Vienna. Check the original UN reps list where I link the groups. Since this is a political organisation geography doesn't really come into it.
Reply 15
Kondar
Lets not get all excited, we can work through this as a group. I think it is a bad idea to just hand out countries to the first person who asks for them. I think participation is crucial to the survival of the UN. I also think that people should be informed ahead of time about any decisions before they are implemented.

Why not continue with the signup and find out where interests lie, then make a decision based on that in a few days- after EVERYONE has a chance to contribute.
It's a fair point. While 'allocations' can still be on a first-come-first-served basis, you are absolutely right that they shouldn't be definite, but rather expressions of interest. Then, if there is a big fight over one country, things can start happening to resolve it.
Reply 16
Agent Smith
I did imply (and the universal consensus was that it was badly needed) that re-jigging would be on the cards. Would you have preferred a full-on manifesto?

If you didn't have time to check the posts, then it's just bad luck that others managed to. I can't help that. Like I said to Kondar: if you feel your claim is stronger, take it up with the other claimants. Or I could even post a poll - when there are several evenly-matched takers for the very biggest countries, that might be the fairest way of sorting things out.

i) It wasnt universal because I and others(if we take beekeepers list of inactivity to be a guide) werent aware of it, and didnt ok it. Its an odd state of affairs when the General Assembly is stripped of its powers without the consent of the General Assembly. It seems unfair that members can be removed and assigned in under 24 hrs at the call of the SG and with a few other voices, without having any warning of such a motion. As far as I was aware you were intending on giving each representative the necessary warning in regards to their position.

ii) The fact that I am representative for the US hasnt changed. If someone wants to take that off me, they are welcome to ask and I may discuss it. The fact that it has already been allocated to me is, as you say, bad luck to those who want it.
Reply 17
OK, Vienna, have a look at the US's "signed-up" status on the signup post.

You could look at it like this: Many of the others, like fr browne for example, have "left" and then instantly "rejoined" again as the same country; you, never having "left", count as having got your vote in before everybody else, but their claims still count as well. If it does come to a vote, and I still think that's probably the only fully fair way to decide things (once there's a reasonable number of MUNers), getting your application in first does not guarantee you victory.

If anyone else shouts for Ireland, fr browne (Ireland last time) is as near as makes no odds to being in exactly the same position as you.
Reply 18
So every single member who has not come in to give up their position still retains their country?

If that is the case then almost over nation you have listed is already taken??!?~

--------------

Again, I dont mean to be aggresive, but there is no reason to rush this. Lets wipe the slate clean and gather a consensus and move on in a few days.
Reply 19
Agent Smith
OK, Vienna, have a look at the edit to the signup post.

You could look at it like this: Many of the others, like fr browne for example, have "left" and then instantly "rejoined" again as the same country; you, never having "left", count as having got your vote in before everybody else, but their claims still count as well. If it does come to a vote, and I still think that's probably the only fully fair way to decide things (once there's a reasonable number of MUNers), getting your application in first does not guarantee you victory.

Hehe, you've just reworded it! Presumably those who want a shakeup already have countries. If they arent happy, they can resign and badger someone else to give them the country they want. If you want to sort out who isnt or doesnt wish to participate, send out an ultimatum to the relevant representatives.

Latest

Trending

Trending