The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Assumes that logical fallacies get corrected. They often don't. Indeed, people will just repeat them over and over - often until there is ad homming.

What I find offensive may also not correspond with what a mod finds offensive, what happens there?
Reply 81
President_Ben
Assumes that logical fallacies get corrected. They often don't. Indeed, people will just repeat them over and over - often until there is ad homming.

No, I assume that logical fallacies have the capacity to be corrected through discussion and argument.

What I find offensive may also not correspond with what a mod finds offensive, what happens there?

I am the law.
Reply 82
Vienna
I am the law.

Arbitrii mihi iura mei
Reply 83
yawn
Free speech is [not a right, it is] a privilege since it is not enjoyed by all people everywhere.

Freedom from torture is not a right, it is a privilege since it is not enjoyed by all people everywhere.
President_Ben
Will there be any rules to actually improve D&D to make it more... "robust" as a place of discussion or will it continue to be a place of 'fun' with occasionally intelligent debate?

Things like canning strawmen, slaps on wrists for people who post without having read the thread, threadjacking etc.

whatever happened to:
President_Ben
Ideally, moderation will be with few and light touches. People falling into the new line rather than being pushed into it.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=4714443&postcount=109
:biggrin:
Reply 85
Methinks President Ben just fell foul to research. Good work PQ
Reply 86
:own3d:

Note the word, "ideally" :wink:
And also... the difference between 'the rules' and the enforcement of them needed are different things altogether.

I am the law.

And I am God, currently disguised as a sharp mango in the underpants of Marcus Bent.
Reply 89
Lawz-
Freedom from torture is not a right, it is a privilege since it is not enjoyed by all people everywhere.

Well if we're going to go down that route, here's another;

Annual holidays are not a right, they are a privilege since they are not enjoyed by all people everywhere.

My point was that since we are able to enjoy free speech we should also exercise restraint with that free speech (only inasmuch as it causes unnecessary distress to others) as a matter of consideration to others.

Of course, if people insist on having their say (perhaps because of some sense of self importance) regardless of its impact on others then that says much about them. :rolleyes:
Reply 90
yawn
Well if we're going to go down that route, here's another;

Annual holidays are not a right, they are a privilege since they are not enjoyed by all people everywhere.

Precisely my point. Your post boils down to "there is no such thing as a right".

My point was that since we are able to enjoy free speech we should also exercise restraint with that free speech (only inasmuch as it causes unnecessary distress to others) as a matter of consideration to others.

So speech is only free when people are not offended by it?

You can say what you like, only so long as its fine with the rest of us?

Of course, if people insist on having their say (perhaps because of some sense of self importance) regardless of its impact on others then that says much about them. :rolleyes:

So you would have banned Darwin? You would have Banned Galileo?

Lots of people found that offensive...

Would you ban the Quran? Many people take exception to that.
Reply 91
Lawz-
Precisely my point. Your post boils down to "there is no such thing as a right".

So speech is only free when people are not offended by it?

You can say what you like, only so long as its fine with the rest of us?

So you would have banned Darwin? You would have Banned Galileo?

Lots of people found that offensive...

Would you ban the Quran? Many people take exception to that.

Your statements ^ are yours, not mine. You are making a whole load of assumptions that bear no relation to my opinions.

Most people are far too hasty in saying "I have my rights", but neglect to say "I also have responsibilities along with those rights."

As I said, I would remind myself of those responsibilities before insisting on my freedom to say whatever I wanted.

I shall desist from making outlandish and irrelevant comparisons and instead, indulge you by giving you the right to debate at a differing level through your comparisons to Darwin, Galileo and the Quran - for me, it is not a matter of extremes, it is a matter of common courtesy and respect. Qualities that are sadly lacking in today's society.
Reply 92
yawn
Your statements are yours, not mine.

That's gone right over my head.
Reply 93
Lawz-
That's gone right over my head.

Probably just as well, since we are at risk of highjacking this thread, which is frowned upon by our new mods. :wink:

And if you hadn't deleted the [^] symbol from my post that you have quoted from you wouldn't be so confused.
Reply 94
yawn
Probably just as well, since we are at risk of highjacking this thread, which is frowned upon by our new mods. :wink:

Yes - a new iron fist regime it seems
Reply 95
The "Islam - a threat?" thread was removed because the opening post was unsuitable for D+D. I'm aware there were a number of posts after that, some of which would have been worthwhile keeping. I could have edited that post, but I decided to remove the thread in order to make a point: Please, for everyones sake, make an effort when creating new threads.

The thread may reappear after some editing.
Good choices all round, I think.

Agent Smith
Offensive? I think you mean annoying. Do you genuinely feel hurt deep down inside when you see someone commit a logical error?

Does anyone on here really "genuinely feel hurt deep down inside" when some anonymous person insults them on the internet? :biggrin:
Reply 97
JonathanH
Good choices all round, I think.

Does anyone on here really "genuinely feel hurt deep down inside" when some anonymous person insults them on the internet? :biggrin:

Jon!! You're back in D&D! Welcome back! :biggrin:

Oh and I do! *raises hand*
- Luckily it hasn't happened much to me, but tbh, I don't tolerate racism towards me, my people or my friends.
Someone pleased to see me :eek:

Hello Hel, still being sickeningly nice to everyone? :biggrin:
Reply 99
JonathanH
Someone pleased to see me :eek:

Hello Hel, still being sickeningly nice to everyone? :biggrin:

Yeh..you irritate the hell out of me sometimes and I most definately do not agree with all your politics - but you can be amusing and interesting as well. :p:
I notice you have a third shiny! Congrats! :biggrin:

:rofl: - I am what I am..whatever that may be. :p:
In this new system btw you'll have to tone down the uh..vehemance with which you sometimes post lol. The new mods. are rather strict - rule D&D with an iron-clad finger with which to press the WARNING button. :wink:
Nah - they're great really, but flaming isn't allowed anymore...not that it was in the first place...still - that doesn't really affect me as I'm 'sickeningly nice' apparently. :p:

Does it affect you? :wink: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending