The Student Room Group

What was so bad about Corbyn?

I watched a lot of these “journalists interviewing ordinary people on the street about the election” videos recently and I keep hearing that people support Labour and heir policies but can’t stand Corbyn. What is so repulsive about him? He has consistently held the same views, not flip flopping like Boris, is pro-union, pro-nhs, pro-education, wants to tax wealthy people a tad more to pay for vital public services, etc. Are these things so bad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nothing really. It's just that most people are idiots and suck up the propaganda of the right-wing media.
Voting for the Tories because you don't like Corbyn is like putting shjt on your toast because you don't like Marmite.
Original post by QE2
Nothing really. It's just that most people are idiots and suck up the propaganda of the right-wing media.
Voting for the Tories because you don't like Corbyn is like putting shjt on your toast because you don't like Marmite.

tbh seems like Corbyn was throwing around some propaganda too... still though #screw-Boris-and-Trump
Reply 3
Original post by QE2

Why do you think everyone who holds a different opinion to yourself as stupid? I get this impression a lot with your posts.
Reply 4
Original post by adam271
Why do you think everyone who holds a different opinion to yourself as stupid?

I don't.
There are plenty of people who agree with me who are stupid, and others who disagree who are clearly not.
However, the evidence suggests that a large proportion of people are indeed idiots, and I don't see why we should pretend otherwise.
Original post by akbar0123
I watched a lot of these “journalists interviewing ordinary people on the street about the election” videos recently and I keep hearing that people support Labour and heir policies but can’t stand Corbyn. What is so repulsive about him? He has consistently held the same views, not flip flopping like Boris, is pro-union, pro-nhs, pro-education, wants to tax wealthy people a tad more to pay for vital public services, etc. Are these things so bad?

Off the top of my head.

1. Too extreme and left wing.
2. Too willing to impose taxes and get the country into more debt.
3. Outdated dinosaur on economics.
4. Too willing to nationalise.
5. Weak leader in dealing with issues, and running his own party. Bullying, Anti semitism
clkaims etc.
6. Weak on defence, no respect for armed forces or sticking up for the UK when tough defence decisions need to be made.
7. Dubious past acquaintances

These are all things to do with him and is why some people felt he was unelectable.
He was seen as too extreme on the left wing, and due to the median voter theorem, the tories swooped in and gained most of the votes in the middle. This also combined with not taking a definitive stance on Brexit, led to people steering away from him.
he's a weird celebrity-wanna be.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Off the top of my head.

1. Too extreme and left wing.
2. Too willing to impose taxes and get the country into more debt.
3. Outdated dinosaur on economics.
4. Too willing to nationalise.
5. Weak leader in dealing with issues, and running his own party. Bullying, Anti semitism
clkaims etc.
6. Weak on defence, no respect for armed forces or sticking up for the UK when tough defence decisions need to be made.
7. Dubious past acquaintances

These are all things to do with him and is why some people felt he was unelectable.

As I said, many people sucked up the right-wing propaganda.
Original post by QE2

Which bit is propaganda?
Reply 10
He was a very weak leader, which I think was his biggest downfall.

He stated when first elected that Labour would become a more democratic party, which never really happened. He also promoted more "grown up politics" which didn't last long. He caved in very quickly after becoming leader and wore a dark suit like everyone else, despite supporters loving his originality. He failed to remove his former lover Diane Abbot from the top job, despite her making racist comments and a series of blunders that would have got any other MP sacked or at the very least demoted. He couldn't make his mind up on Ken Livingston who seemed to stay suspended forever. He seemed to change his mind on the EU, despite a lifetime of being against it (I think from there on, he lost his reputation as an honest man). He was unable to take a tough stance when anti-semitism became an issue in the party and he made the party's official position on Brexit a lukewarm one, infuriating leave and remain voters.

This is against a backdrop of showing support for the IRA, showing support for Argentina's claim of The Falkland Islands, support for Gibraltar becoming Spanish, despite the people who live there wanting to stay British (it seems that he doesn't believe in self-determination) and he wants the UK to give up its nuclear weapons.

He only seemed strong and motivated when his position as Labour leader was challenged.
Reply 11
Because I don't believe his style of economics or politics would work (covers a lot of things). But also because I don't like his choice of front bench... and because a large portion of his primary support base are a bunch of intolerant, abusive, extremist numpties, and he's done nothing at all to try to get them to tone down the aggression and bullying tactics.

But also him. His beyond useless position on things like Trident and defence, and that he appears to be one of those people (there are many of them) whose default position on any contentious issue involving 'the West' is to veer towards supporting the other side. Fair enough if you want to lead a protest, not so good if you want to lead a country.
Everything is bad about him
Original post by QE2

It’s just a pity that most people don’t share your vast intellect.

He was too polarising and he seemed to love the spotlight above all else.
Reply 14
Original post by YaliaV
It’s just a pity that most people don’t share your vast intellect.

But if most people shared it, it would no longer be so vast.
Imagine an enormous pizza. If everyone had a small piece, it would no longer be an enormous pizza but lots of little pizzas.

He was too polarising

The question was "what was so bad about him", not "why wasn't he more popular".

and he seemed to love the spotlight above all else.

Really? Are you sure you know who Jeremy Corbyn is?
Original post by QE2
Really? Are you sure you know who Jeremy Corbyn is?

Even his own party found his extreme views polarising and he wasn’t a good leader. He loved his pseudo-celebrity status and I think he was very arrogant. You should drop the arrogance and accept that people have different views.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Which bit is propaganda?

All of it.
Original post by QE2
All of it.

Do you have any evidence those werent his policies?
That the leadership of his party was effective?
He was strong on defence?
That there was no bullying or anti semitism , that was inadequately dealth with?
That he didnt intend to nationalise large parts of the economy?
That he had exctensive spending plans that would have to be paid for by taking the rich and much more borrowing?
That he wasnt too left wing for the tastes of the country?
Reply 18
Do you have any evidence those werent his policies?
That the leadership of his party was effective?
He was strong on defence?
That there was no bullying or anti semitism , that was inadequately dealth with?
That he didnt intend to nationalise large parts of the economy?
That he had exctensive spending plans that would have to be paid for by taking the rich and much more borrowing?
That he wasnt too left wing for the tastes of the country?

All those points are merely opinions or misrepresentations - predominantly voiced by the RW media. To some people, some of those points are positives rather than negatives.
If you really want, we can go through them in detail.
Original post by QE2
All those points are merely opinions or misrepresentations - predominantly voiced by the RW media. To some people, some of those points are positives rather than negatives.
If you really want, we can go through them in detail.

Well why not just respond in a similar manner instead of blaming it all on the media?
I can look past the media and cant see the controversy in identifying those as weaknesses in him being the leader, the way he led, ran the labour party and the policies he chose to run on. As much as the media might try many of those were about Corbyn.

Feel free to go through them.

Boris is hardly a shining knight though. Man y p[eople chose on who was least worst.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending