The Student Room Group

Is a chicken donner kebab healthy

Hi, my parents want a kebab takeaway tonight and im a bit worried about what to have. I usually have chicken sheish but i was maybe thinking of having a change and ordering a chicken donner? I'm worried about the calories in it and fat, is it unhealthy? I know i shouldn't be worrying about this because i have anorexia and right now I'm trying my best to recover. But i still wanted to ask to see what people think. Thank you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Starqxu
Hi, my parents want a kebab takeaway tonight and im a bit worried about to have. I usually have chicken sheish but i was maybe thinking of having a change and ordering a chicken donner? I'm worried about the calories in it and fat, is it unhealthy? I know i shouldn't be worrying about this because i have anorexia and right now I'm trying my best to recover. But i still wanted to ask to see what people think. Thank you :smile:

It can be incorporated into a balanced diet.

It will no doubt be more calorific then a shish kebab and how you have it i.e regular or large, pitta or chips can make a difference as well.

It's really about how often you eat takeaways imo, obviously you cant eat this every day but on a weekend as a treat is absolutely fine. And with kebabs you can also put on salad which offers some nutritional value. I
Get that doner kebab
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
It can be incorporated into a balanced diet.

It will no doubt be more calorific then a shish kebab and how you have it i.e regular or large, pitta or chips can make a difference as well.

It's really about how often you eat takeaways imo, obviously you cant eat this every day but on a weekend as a treat is absolutely fine. And with kebabs you can also put on salad which offers some nutritional value. I

Thank you! I always get a small because anything bigger is too much and i never have anything else like chips haha. I get just a kebab with chilli sauce and lettuce.
Reply 4
Original post by AnxiousNobody
Get that doner kebab

I might haha 🤭
Original post by Starqxu
Hi, my parents want a kebab takeaway tonight and im a bit worried about what to have. I usually have chicken sheish but i was maybe thinking of having a change and ordering a chicken donner? I'm worried about the calories in it and fat, is it unhealthy? I know i shouldn't be worrying about this because i have anorexia and right now I'm trying my best to recover. But i still wanted to ask to see what people think. Thank you :smile:

hi lovely
i think it's good to change up your order and have the donner instead of the shish. even if you don't like it in the end you should be proud of yourself for trying something different!
obviously it's not healthy for you but if you get it with salad and pitta for example there will be multiple food groups so that's good and it tastes nice too. even if it is unhealthy, it's not like you're living off kebabs so it's perfectly fine to have it every now and then!
hope you enjoy it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by cheese toes
hi lovely
i think it's good to change up your order and have the donner instead of the shish. even if you don't like it in the end you should be proud of yourself for trying something different!
obviously it's not healthy for you but if you get it with salad and pitta for example there will be multiple food groups so that's good and it tastes nice too. even if it is unhealthy, it's not like you're living off kebabs so it's perfectly fine to have it every now and then!
hope you enjoy it :smile:

Thank you! This makes me feel a bit better 🤗
How is chicken doner not healthy? In my opinion I don’t think it’s unhealthy I think it’s average
Original post by Emal oriakhel
How is chicken doner not healthy? In my opinion I don’t think it’s unhealthy I think it’s average

Depends what your idea of average is, a chicken doner generally has more calories than a standard McDonald’s meal. I hate the word unhealthy because everything is fine as part of a balanced diet.
Chicken doner is quite literally cooked in it’s own fat (from things like the skin) and often other fat like lamb fat, which are all much fat denser than just a grill and in large quantities (as in regular basis) awful for your arteries!
If you are comparing just a Shish to a doner then a shish is ‘healthier’ by a long shot, it’s far ‘better’ for you although a greasy doner hits the spot when hungover and does taste beautiful 😭
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Starqxu

It's great that you're considering different options and being mindful of your choices, especially during your recovery journey. It's understandable to have concerns about the calories in different foods, especially when you're going through an eating disorder like anorexia.
When it comes to choosing between chicken sheish and chicken donner, it's essential to consider both your preferences and your nutritional needs. Both options can be part of a balanced diet, but there are differences in their nutritional profiles.
Recovery is about nourishing your body and mind, so it's okay to enjoy your favorite foods in moderation and keeping in mind your calories intake. I am on a fitness journey and I use a tdee calculator to keep a track on my calories consumption for a healthy life. It's not just about the number of calories, but also the nutritional quality of the food you're eating.
I hope you focus on incorporating a variety of nutrient-dense foods into your diet to support your overall health and well-being. If you want to keep a track about calorie intake, consider keeping a food diary or use online tools like tdee calculator or myfitnesspal to help you stay on track with your goals

Quick Reply

Latest