The Student Room Group

Fish finger undercooked

Cooked some aldi fish fingers to the right temperature and right time but when I bit into some of them they were cold. Not raw, just cold. The others weren't that bad so i started eating the rest but ended up chucking 90% of it all. Why weren't they cooked properly and more importantly do i now have food poisoning? Since then i've been pretty gassy
Original post by civicpride2506
Cooked some aldi fish fingers to the right temperature and right time but when I bit into some of them they were cold. Not raw, just cold. The others weren't that bad so i started eating the rest but ended up chucking 90% of it all. Why weren't they cooked properly and more importantly do i now have food poisoning? Since then i've been pretty gassy

Either your misread the temperature or time specified on the packet, or your oven isn't working properly. Is it a fan oven? Is not, then that might help explain the uneven cooking (as a fan is designed to distribute the hot air).

No, you don't have food poisoning.
Original post by DataVenia
Either your misread the temperature or time specified on the packet, or your oven isn't working properly. Is it a fan oven? Is not, then that might help explain the uneven cooking (as a fan is designed to distribute the hot air).
No, you don't have food poisoning.
It's an electric oven. Definitely didn't misread the temp or time specified on the packet, i did read them before and after doing it and i've cooked the same ones before with no issue.
when you bit into the fish fingers and they were still cold, did you not think to put them back in the oven for a couple minutes instead of continuing to eat them?
Original post by Spelunker
when you bit into the fish fingers and they were still cold, did you not think to put them back in the oven for a couple minutes instead of continuing to eat them?
I didn't eat the cold ones i just ended up chucking the whole thing.
It's an electric oven. Definitely didn't misread the temp or time specified on the packet, i did read them before and after doing it and i've cooked the same ones before with no issue.

Electric ovens have an element which heats up when a current passes through it (similar to the element at the bottom of a kettle). These can fail; if it failed part-way through, it may have stopped heating at that point.

Electric ovens have thermostats which they use to establish when the desired temperature has been reached. These can fail.

Next time you cook something, play close attention to whether it cooks the way you'd expect it to.
Original post by DataVenia
Electric ovens have an element which heats up when a current passes through it (similar to the element at the bottom of a kettle). These can fail; if it failed part-way through, it may have stopped heating at that point.
Electric ovens have thermostats which they use to establish when the desired temperature has been reached. These can fail.
Next time you cook something, play close attention to whether it cooks the way you'd expect it to.
20 hours on I have no symptoms, I think I'm ok.
20 hours on I have no symptoms, I think I'm ok.

Agreed. :smile:
I didn't eat the cold ones i just ended up chucking the whole thing.

What a strange thing to have done?

'This food isn't cooked yet, guess I'll bin it'
Original post by StriderHort

I think I would have starved to death if I used that policy. :smile:
Original post by StriderHort

Yeah don't know why I did it tbf I think I just got a bit freaked out

Quick Reply

Latest