The Student Room Group

Why do people leave their front door unlocked???????

As per above. I see it when watching TV and someone enters the Home of someone they know or a complete stranger.

However in reality, I know a story of someone who got attacked at Home by intruders which would have unlikely happened if they locked their front door.

It just ponders on my mind, why would someone leave their front door unlocked?

When I was at University, I always locked my uni room door, whether out or in and I managed to avoid some weird people entering my room who were drunk while I was sleeping which clearly saved me from some possible trauma I would have gone through.

Are there people who don't take security seriously? I think it's serious. Like I always close my curtains at night and lock my car when driving or away from car, even if I leave passengers inside while I may be popping into the shop etc.

Is it that people need more education on how to keep their home safe?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Currently sharing a house and yes, there are people who don't take such things seriously. Whether they just don't care or get distracted, I don't know. I used to be distracted and forget to lock it till I saw a video of how a lady went missing. Someone just opened the door which wasn't locked, walked in and scooped her off the couch with her blankets. She was never seen again. I can't forget so I don't forget to lock the doors.

My flatmates still don't lock it, though. And I can't wake up to do it when they stumble in at 3 or 4 am so I lock my room door, and have a screwdriver to remove my window guard if I ever have to escape through it. All of them are tiny. I'm the biggest one there and I'm still built like spaghetti! Who's gonna fight if someone breaks in? I'll get folded like a lawn chair. I've complained so many times.
Reply 2
Original post by adgadfadf
intersting - my neighbours don't seem to lock their door either. Of course only when someone is home. it's weird because anyone could stroll in at any moment.

Guess they have that much trust in the area!

They shouldn't assume that they won't be targeted. When I lived at my parents years ago, there was a house housing some young unemployed people and they appeared to have issues which was just through the lane and up the road and it always looked dodgy.

I had a housemate some years ago who walked out, always leaving the front door open or unlocked. Thankfully a family living across came over and left a note of concern and I informed the Landlord who sent out a warning, Weeks later the guy moved out, which means I believe he was evicted over violating Health and Safety in the property.

Some doors are automatically locked outside, meaning you can only get in with a key. But people should think that their home always needs child proofing.
Reply 3
Depends where you live. My parents have only ever locked their door at night. Neighbours and friends drop in when they want.
I have friends that live on Guernsey and they don’t lock the door ever. They feel that crime is low and if anything were to happen the perpetrators couldn’t go far on an island.
Reply 4
Unthinkable by me.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
Unthinkable by me.

For me too. But I live in a city, not a little hamlet.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Euapp
For me too. But I live in a city, not a little hamlet.

I don't live in a city, I'm on the edge of a town and am surrounded by farms and woodland. It's still terrible. Unthinkable in the hamlets by me, too. It's feral round here the past ten years.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
I don't live in a city, I'm on the edge of a town and am surrounded by farms and woodland. It's still terrible. Unthinkable in the hamlets by me, too. It's feral round here the past ten years.

😱😱😱
Original post by JVM2020
As per above. I see it when watching TV and someone enters the Home of someone they know or a complete stranger.

However in reality, I know a story of someone who got attacked at Home by intruders which would have unlikely happened if they locked their front door.

When I was at University, I always locked my uni room door, whether out or in and I managed to avoid some weird people entering my room who were drunk while I was sleeping which clearly saved me from some possible trauma I would have gone through.

Are there people who don't take security seriously? I think it's serious. Like I always close my curtains at night and lock my car when driving or away from car, even if I leave passengers inside while I may be popping into the shop etc.

Some people don't care, get distracted. And for some with ADHD (especially with many inattentive symptoms) they may even forget to close the front door. And the reasons you mentioned.

Original post by DarylO
Currently sharing a house and yes, there are people who don't take such things seriously. Whether they just don't care or get distracted, I don't know. I used to be distracted and forget to lock it till I saw a video of how a lady went missing. Someone just opened the door which wasn't locked, walked in and scooped her off the couch with her blankets. She was never seen again. I can't forget so I don't forget to lock the doors.

My flatmates still don't lock it, though. And I can't wake up to do it when they stumble in at 3 or 4 am so I lock my room door, and have a screwdriver to remove my window guard if I ever have to escape through it. All of them are tiny. I'm the biggest one there and I'm still built like spaghetti! Who's gonna fight if someone breaks in? I'll get folded like a lawn chair. I've complained so many times.

What is the link to the video? (out of curiosity) And how tiny are your flatmates?

If someone breaks in, all that's necessary is to deal enough damage that the person goes away, or hold the intruder off until the police arrives. Alternatively, tire out the intruder (easier said than done) and make a run for it. If you can't do any of this then just run, and call the police.

If your complaints don't go anywhere, perhaps you should move to a new house, or learn self-defence, and brush up your running/strength training.
I simply depends where you like. (TV is not a good reference for what people actually do)
Original post by justlearning1469
What is the link to the video? (out of curiosity) And how tiny are your flatmates?

If someone breaks in, all that's necessary is to deal enough damage that the person goes away, or hold the intruder off until the police arrives. Alternatively, tire out the intruder (easier said than done) and make a run for it. If you can't do any of this then just run, and call the police.

If your complaints don't go anywhere, perhaps you should move to a new house, or learn self-defence, and brush up your running/strength training.

It was on one of those YT crime documentary channels. I watched it about two years ago but I'm subscribed to so many that I can't tell exactly which channel it was. It was scary, though. Her flatmates were right in the kitchen and they didn't hear her screaming or struggling.

Two of my flatmates are like 5 feet, 80 to 100 pounds. The other two are my height, 5'8 but I have the most muscle mass and I'm 140 pounds so picture people even slimmer. I've been looking into martial arts classes or self defence because if anything happens now, none of us can fight. With the way the house is built, if an intruder blocks the only entryway, we're done. Absolutely done.

Also, they let random hookups in at 4 am. One stumbled in on me half-dressed. It's annoying. It's an all-girls flat. I shouldn't be walking into random men in my house at 4 am. Honestly, I'm thinking of taking the guards off the windows and putting them back during each check. I know it violates our policy but there's no other entryway. At least, I can jump out if I have to.

Also, I'm moving this September. I've already secured another place so that part's sorted.
Reply 12
It depends where you live, maybe you’d be surprised to know that in other parts of the world especially in asia they don’t have proper locks or doors, or they don’t ever close their door apart from night. i think it really depends on the community and valuables you keep in your homes.
In my childhood home my parents only lock front door at night or when they're leaving and there's no one else in the house. Either way, the front door on the outside doesn't have a moveable handle so even if it wasn't locked a random wouldn't just be able to normally open the door and walk in.
Original post by DarylO
It was on one of those YT crime documentary channels. I watched it about two years ago but I'm subscribed to so many that I can't tell exactly which channel it was. It was scary, though. Her flatmates were right in the kitchen and they didn't hear her screaming or struggling.

Two of my flatmates are like 5 feet, 80 to 100 pounds. The other two are my height, 5'8 but I have the most muscle mass and I'm 140 pounds so picture people even slimmer. I've been looking into martial arts classes or self defence because if anything happens now, none of us can fight. With the way the house is built, if an intruder blocks the only entryway, we're done. Absolutely done.

Wow... maybe the flatmates were busy doing other things or on their headphones, but even then...

In that case... 80 pounds? That is very underweight, that's a BMI of 15.6 which is simply unhealthy.
None may be able to fight alone, but together it's plausible. One person only has two arms and two legs anyway. When you're behind in everything else, the only thing you can do is use numbers. Quantity has a quality of its own, after all. However if he has a weapon, that is even worse.

Considering the biological difference in strength/endurance between men and women... the best you could do is delay long enough for the police to save you.
Original post by JVM2020

this not a funny question. i think that you should do your research before coming on to this app and spreading false information. in england it is common to leave doors unlocked in order to invite any guests in as you sleep. it's all about being polite for me.
Original post by DarylO
Also, they let random hookups in at 4 am. One stumbled in on me half-dressed. It's annoying. It's an all-girls flat. I shouldn't be walking into random men in my house at 4 am. Honestly, I'm thinking of taking the guards off the windows and putting them back during each check. I know it violates our policy but there's no other entryway. At least, I can jump out if I have to.

Also, I'm moving this September. I've already secured another place so that part's sorted.

4am is very annoying, I wouldn't want to be woken up at this time. If it's for your safety, then fine, take the guards off.

Good for you, hope the other place is good.
Wow... maybe the flatmates were busy doing other things or on their headphones, but even then...

In that case... 80 pounds? That is very underweight, that's a BMI of 15.6 which is simply unhealthy.
None may be able to fight alone, but together it's plausible. One person only has two arms and two legs anyway. When you're behind in everything else, the only thing you can do is use numbers. Quantity has a quality of its own, after all. However if he has a weapon, that is even worse.

Considering the biological difference in strength/endurance between men and women... the best you could do is delay long enough for the police to save you.

True! And the scarier part is that one walked in just 5 minutes after to shut the door, thinking the girl had gone to her room.

And you're right. We certainly can't fight alone. Even together, I think they would just abandon me in the fight so I would rather run. I'm not whimsical enough to think I can fight a guy alone or hold him off with zero training.
4am is very annoying, I wouldn't want to be woken up at this time. If it's for your safety, then fine, take the guards off.

Good for you, hope the other place is good.

Exactly! When I complained, they just called me a prude. They can get laid 24/7. I don't care but I nearly had a heart attack. A little warning would be nice:colonhash:.

Thanks. The other place is amazing. :h: A ton of security. You can't even get through the main gates without a fob. Plus, it's a studio.
Reply 19
We don't lock our doors and never really have. If I lived in the city again then I would but outside the town here it pretty secluded and it's never been an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest