The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE French Writing Higher Tier 4H (8658/WH) - 5th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA GCSE French Higher tier Writing exam go?

AQA GCSE French Writing 4H (8658/WH) - 5th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 5th June 2023, pm
Length: 1h 15mins (standard time)

Resources
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/languages/gcse/french-8658
2023 GCSE exam thread directory
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
does anyone know of good subjunctive sentences I could try to use in my french writing? or general french sentences that show off a bunch of french technique-y things that could tick some boxes? I worry that my writing is too simple
Original post by greenthing
does anyone know of good subjunctive sentences I could try to use in my french writing? or general french sentences that show off a bunch of french technique-y things that could tick some boxes? I worry that my writing is too simple

For an environment question, you could say, “Je veux que les gens fassent plus pour protéger l’environnement / contre le changement climatique.” (I want people to do more to protect the environment / against climate change.)

For a family question, you could say, “Je m’entends bien avec ma famille parce qu’ils me soutiennent quoi que je fasse.” (I get on well with my family because they support me no matter what I do.)

For a past experience, you could say, “Avant que nous partions / avant de partir, mon père voulait que nous prenions des photos.” (Before we left / before leaving, my dad wanted us to take photos.”

You don’t need to use the subjunctive to get 32, but 5 correct tenses (perfect, imperfect, present, conditional and either future tense) with 2 opinions and reasons and a range of grammar points (like “en regardant”, “après avoir fait”, “avoir l’intention de”, “il est essential de”, “ce que j’aime le mieux / le plus” and other things) can help you achieve the same, even if the story you’re telling is quite basic.

Hope this helps!
Il faut bien travailler à l'école pour que vous puissiez avoir des bonnes notes dans vos examens.

You need to work well in school so that you can get good grades in your exams.
Reply 4
Does anyone have any advice for the writing exam? I'm sitting it on Monday, writing is one of my strongest exams and I can use a wide range of tenses, but I only know basic vocabulary. I am sitting the higher paper. Also, for the translation, I don't know when to use à/au/aux vs. en/dans/avec in certain cases. Can anyone help?
À is for precise locations like cities, shops and towns. Remember though that à + le becomes au.
Dans is used to say that you are inside a place. Like au cinema could be to say you are AT the cinema, while dans le cinema could be to say you are IN the cinema.

En is for feminine countries like Paris and au is for masculine countries like Canada. Aux is for plural countries like Netherlands (Pays-Bas).

For vocabulary, blooket is good to revise. It is like kahoot but has more game modes. For more in depth revision I recommend quizlet, using the flashcards and then the test section for memorisation. However unless you have premium, you can only do 1 test per section and then to do another test you have to choose a different teacher's set.
Bit long, but I hope it helps :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
does anyone know where "parfois" should be

J'adore ma meilleure amie parce qu'elle est tres drole et gentille mais elle est casse-pieds parfois

or

j'adore ma meilleire amie parce qu'elle est tres drole et gentille mais elle est parfois casse-pieds
Original post by user987789

J'adore ma meilleure amie parce qu'elle est tres drole et gentille mais elle est casse-pieds parfois

or

j'adore ma meilleire amie parce qu'elle est tres drole et gentille mais elle est parfois casse-pieds

It means sometimes
Reply 8
Original post by user987789

or

The second one is the correct version :h:
Hope this helps!
Reply 9
how will the writing be strutured?
Will we get a choice between questions from three themes for the 90 words and 150 words
Reply 10
Does anyone have any good complex phrases?

I have a few:

Je me suis rendu compte que- I realised that.

Ce n'est pas la mer à boire- It's not the end of the world

Il me semble que- It seemed to me that

Nous ne nous sommes pas amusés- We didnt have fun
Reply 11
Original post by Harshi_789
how will the writing be strutured?
Will we get a choice between questions from three themes for the 90 words and 150 words

I am doing aqa and for that you get a choice between 2 themes for both the 90 words and 150 words.
They only got 3 themes last year which is really annoying

Hope this helps!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by ishaml_
I am doing aqa and for that you get a choice between 2 themes for both the 90 words and 150 words.
They only got 3 themes last year which is really annoying

Hope this helps!

cheers
Reply 13
Is it nous sommes alle for we went or is it nous avons alle or can you say both?
Is it nous sommes alle for we went or is it nous avons alle or can you say both?

It’s nous sommes allés

Nous sommes allés, On est allés

P. ex. Nous sommes allées à l'école/On est allées à l'école, Nous sommes allés au zoo/On est allés au zoo.
Anyone got any A* phrases for tmrws exam writing. And also some tenses phrases I can use to boost my grade plsssssssssss
For the aqa french writing exam will not knowing the accents heavily impact my acurracy mark? because I can't remember accents for the life of me, I usually just put a straight line on top of a random letter and hope for the best. Are the exam strict on accents? there's just so many to remember, I can spell the words but I just don't know about the accents
Reply 18
Anybody have any predicted topics for the french writing tomorrow
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 19
Does anyone have any advice for how to get full marks in GCSE French writing 150 words? And are there any top grade sentences that would be useful? Many thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending