The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Ask a BCU Student

Hello everyone!

I’m Emily, a BA(Hons) Fashion Design student at BCU.

Before I started last year, I had loads of questions about university so feel free to ask any questions in this thread and I’ll try my best to answer.

Your questions can be anything you would like to know about BCU, Birmingham, your course, the campus, student life, or anything else you can think of. And although I study fashion design, I can try and help answer questions about other courses too.

There are no silly questions! So, if there’s something you want to know about BCU, please ask.

Looking forward to hearing from you ask away!
Reply 1
Hi I wanted to ask, what would be the timetable like for adult nursing, like how many days in will we be in uni and what time does it start and end, Also I wanted to ask the same question regarding radiography *(diagnostic)

Thank you!!

And one final question sorry ;-; uni is three years right, when will the final day as in the final year end as in the month and date (for both courses) :0

Thanks!!
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I wanted to ask, what would be the timetable like for adult nursing, like how many days in will we be in uni and what time does it start and end, Also I wanted to ask the same question regarding radiography *(diagnostic)

Thank you!!

And one final question sorry ;-; uni is three years right, when will the final day as in the final year end as in the month and date (for both courses) :0

Thanks!!

Hi there!

Some good questions! The timetable specifics will most likely change each year in terms of times and days in university. Scheduled sessions in the morning will start from 9am onwards and the last sessions of the day can be around 6/7pm, but as I say, your timetable may be different when you arrive. I've had a quick look on our website and also found some info about the teaching breakdown which you might find helpful too...

"You'll experience a mixture of teaching, self-directed study and practice-based clinical placements, spending half of your time each year on placement."
So this means you'll have a mixture of studying at university with tutors and time to work independently too. So even though you might not be timetabled to come into uni, you will have some work to do by yourself. And both adult nursing and radiography have placement opportunities throughout the courses too.

Both courses you've mentioned are three years, which means you would finish them in Summer 2026 if you begin in September 2023. The exact date is probably hard to say at this very moment, but most courses finish towards the summer months.

Hope this helps, and drop me a message if there's anything else I can help with.
Emily
Pardon me, I want to apply to clearing for diagnostic radiography in 2023, but it is full… is there still a point to ring up the university when clearing opens?
Pardon me, I want to apply to clearing for diagnostic radiography in 2023, but it is full… is there still a point to ring up the university when clearing opens?

Hi there,

I would recommend giving the university a call on A Level results day, 17th August, as this is when the clearing hotline will open and there may be the possibility that you can be accepted if you speak to a member of the team on this day. Here is the clearing page for BCU...
https://www.bcu.ac.uk/exams-and-revision/worried-about-results/what-is-clearing
0121 331 6777 This is the clearing number but it won't be available until results day.

Hope this helps.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 5
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hello everyone!

Before I started last year, I had loads of questions about university so feel free to ask any questions in this thread and I’ll try my best to answer.

Your questions can be anything you would like to know about BCU, Birmingham, your course, the campus, student life, or anything else you can think of. And although I study fashion design, I can try and help answer questions about other courses too.

There are no silly questions! So, if there’s something you want to know about BCU, please ask.

Hi Emily

I’d love to understand what an “average” week might look like for a Diagnostic Radiography student? I’m hoping to apply for Sep 2024 but have a young son and need to consider this too.

Is it 5 days a week? (I have expected it will be) I know there’s placements to take into consideration too which could be night shifts.
Original post by JTB5790
Hi Emily

I’d love to understand what an “average” week might look like for a Diagnostic Radiography student? I’m hoping to apply for Sep 2024 but have a young son and need to consider this too.

Is it 5 days a week? (I have expected it will be) I know there’s placements to take into consideration too which could be night shifts.

Hi @Jtb543

That's great that you're looking at applying! I don't study Diagnostic Radiography and so can't speak from a personal perspective, but I've had a look at the current couse specification which has an outline of your time.

I've attached a screenshot below which has an expected workload breakdown which I think could be quite useful for you. There are scheduled learning hours, which includes things like lectures and classes, directed learning, which includes your placements, and then private learning, which is working in your own time, such as preparing for exams.

This is a guide but I think it helps show you how much time will be spent on your course.
Unfortunately I'm unsure how the hours will be split across days, but I hope this helps you out.

I hope this is useful and good luck with you application if you choose to apply! We'd love to have you here at BCU.
Emily
Hi Emily, do you have any idea of how long a clearing application might take? I applied just over a week ago through the BCU form (not used UCAS) but have no idea when I might hear back. I was hoping to beat the rush on results day since I already have my results but haven’t heard anything, I don’t even know if I’ll need to interview or submit anything else. If you can give me any info on a general application progression timeline I’d love to know what to expect.
hi emily!=)
hope ur doing well.
i need genuine and honest advice from u
ive been accepted into Leicester but wanna go BCU prettyyyy bad. unfortunately i missed the deadline to swap my firm and insurance choices =(
so now im thinking if i should just go Leicester for the next 3 years n accept my fate or if i should take a gap year and go bcu next year
would u consider taking a gap year and reaplying to BCU next year worth it consdiering the uni, social life, support given and all tht?
i was also thinking of transferring after the first year but the chances of tht are very slim and im scared i wont be able to make friends if i transfer into second year
any advice would be greatly appreciated!
thnk you so much =))

heyy did u get in??
hi emily!=)
hope ur doing well.
ive been accepted into Leicester but wanna go BCU prettyyyy bad. unfortunately i missed the deadline to swap my firm and insurance choices =(
so now im thinking if i should just go Leicester for the next 3 years n accept my fate or if i should take a gap year and go bcu next year
would u consider taking a gap year and reaplying to BCU next year worth it consdiering the uni, social life, support given and all tht?
i was also thinking of transferring after the first year but the chances of tht are very slim and im scared i wont be able to make friends if i transfer into second year
thnk you so much =))

Hey :smile:

What course are you looking to study? You may still be able to apply through Clearing to start this year.
Hi Emily, do you have any idea of how long a clearing application might take? I applied just over a week ago through the BCU form (not used UCAS) but have no idea when I might hear back. I was hoping to beat the rush on results day since I already have my results but haven’t heard anything, I don’t even know if I’ll need to interview or submit anything else. If you can give me any info on a general application progression timeline I’d love to know what to expect.

Hey! sorry it's taken a while to get back to you, Did you hear back? If not, give us a call on 0121 331 6777 :smile:
Reply 12
hi emily!=)
hope ur doing well.
thnk you so much =))

im taking a gap year before starting in 2024, honestly if you really wanna switch to bcu then i say go for it as you're not the only one who would be starting a year late!
Hello everyone!

Hii,

i’m doing diagnostic radiography at bcu, and i’m looking at my time table. I’m studying at the city south campus, but for one of my workshops it says it’s in the curzon building which is the town campus? I didn’t know they did that, i thought i’d be based in the city south campus, do you think it’s a glitch or do they actually switch between campuses?? i was unaware of this x
Hii,

i’m doing diagnostic radiography at bcu, and i’m looking at my time table. I’m studying at the city south campus, but for one of my workshops it says it’s in the curzon building which is the town campus? I didn’t know they did that, i thought i’d be based in the city south campus, do you think it’s a glitch or do they actually switch between campuses?? i was unaware of this x

Hey!

Unfortunately, I'm really not too sure, I'd recommend contacting the admin team for your school, they should be able to help - their email is [email protected] and their phone number is +44 (0)121 331 7149.

If you do have a workshop at our city south campus then I think this is actually a great thing! You can use all the facilities at our city centre campus as well as the city south one, so it's a great chance to explore the facilities and also meet new people. It's really easy to get from city south to city centre too, it takes about 15 minutes by bus or train and then it's just a short walk from there :smile:

Hope that helps and that the school team are able to help!
Abbie
Hi, I'm a 2nd year student studying digital film production and have been given an interview for DMT Student Placement - Computing and Digital Technology at BCU I'm just wondering if theres anyone that has gone through the same placement or can offer advice on the interview process
Reply 16
Hi there!

Some good questions! The timetable specifics will most likely change each year in terms of times and days in university. Scheduled sessions in the morning will start from 9am onwards and the last sessions of the day can be around 6/7pm, but as I say, your timetable may be different when you arrive. I've had a quick look on our website and also found some info about the teaching breakdown which you might find helpful too...

"You'll experience a mixture of teaching, self-directed study and practice-based clinical placements, spending half of your time each year on placement."
So this means you'll have a mixture of studying at university with tutors and time to work independently too. So even though you might not be timetabled to come into uni, you will have some work to do by yourself. And both adult nursing and radiography have placement opportunities throughout the courses too.

Both courses you've mentioned are three years, which means you would finish them in Summer 2026 if you begin in September 2023. The exact date is probably hard to say at this very moment, but most courses finish towards the summer months.

Hope this helps, and drop me a message if there's anything else I can help with.
Emily

I want to know how good is an MSC in Building survey with facilities management in bcu
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Yoba
I want to know how good is an MSC in Building survey with facilities management in bcu

Hi @Yoba

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you!

Below is a link to the quantity surveying Masters course page here at BCU. To get to know a bit more about the course, definitely have a look at the course overview to see what you would be studying. There's also a facilities section that tells you about what BCU has to offer.
https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/quantity-surveying-msc-2024-25

Hopefully this helps!

Emily
So I am applying for student finance and it is asking me the start and end dates for my course I am planning on doing child nursing at BCU and it starts from September 2024 but I do not know the end date for it please help me
Original post by Anonymous #6
So I am applying for student finance and it is asking me the start and end dates for my course I am planning on doing child nursing at BCU and it starts from September 2024 but I do not know the end date for it please help me

Hi there.

You can use the length of your course to find out what year you will be graduating in. For example, if your course is 3 years and you start this September, your course will finish in 2027. And 2028 for a four year course.

Course end dates do vary from subject to subject, but most finish between May and July when starting in September. If you add 'July 2027' to your application, then you are covered to the latest date if needed.

Hope this helps.
Emily
Student Rep at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending