The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Official University of York Applicant Thread 2024

Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students considering applying to @University of York for 2024 entry! You can chat with other applicants, and see if you can find someone who could be applying to the same course as you <3! Also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and why you want to apply to this uni!! :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students considering applying to @University of York for 2024 entry! You can chat with other applicants, and see if you can find someone who could be applying to the same course as you <3! Also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and why you want to apply to this uni!! :smile:

for me, i am doing Psychology Sociology and Spanish - and i want to study linguistics :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Hi, im studying Computer science and mathematics next year! :smile:
Original post by HARR1
Hi, im studying Computer science and mathematics next year! :smile:

welcome :smile:
Hi everyone!

If you have any questions about studying at York, accommodation, student life etc. we're happy to help :smile:
Original post by University of York
Hi everyone!

If you have any questions about studying at York, accommodation, student life etc. we're happy to help :smile:

Reply 6
How much do YorK look at Personal Statements when making offers or is it all about A Level predictions? How important are GCSEs? And so they tend to make offers quickly after people apply or take u til March/April like some places?

Thanks
Original post by Wombat11
How much do YorK look at Personal Statements when making offers or is it all about A Level predictions? How important are GCSEs? And so they tend to make offers quickly after people apply or take u til March/April like some places?

Thanks

Hi!

We will look at your Personal Statement - these are some tips on our website which you might find useful.

We don't usually give a time frame on sending out offers as this will depend on the time you apply, the department you applied to and if the qualifications you are taking are straightforward or if we need more information through interviews or assessments :smile:
Reply 8

hey there i’m studying biology next year! :smile:
Reply 9
Hi everyone!

in regard to accomodation, which would you say are the “best” to choose from if you’re doing biology next year?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by flowww04
hey there i’m studying biology next year! :smile:

welcome :biggrin:
Original post by flowww04
in regard to accomodation, which would you say are the “best” to choose from if you’re doing biology next year?

Hi!

If you want to be in the college closest to the Biology Department, then I'd choose Vanbrugh College. The Vanbrugh Band 3 ensuite catered rooms are right next to Biology and the Band 2 shared bathroom catered rooms are also pretty close. If you want to be self catered, then the nearest college to Biology is Alcuin College.

But if you aren't fussed about how near to Biology you are, then you can look at any of our colleges! What sort of things are you looking for?

Hazel :smile:

hey guys! i’m doing english classics and politics at the moment and i’m applying for film and tv production :smile:
Hi!

If you want to be in the college closest to the Biology Department, then I'd choose Vanbrugh College. The Vanbrugh Band 3 ensuite catered rooms are right next to Biology and the Band 2 shared bathroom catered rooms are also pretty close. If you want to be self catered, then the nearest college to Biology is Alcuin College.

But if you aren't fussed about how near to Biology you are, then you can look at any of our colleges! What sort of things are you looking for?

Hazel :smile:

Hello,

I’m currently I am in year 13 and plans to apply to your Bcs Genetics course, I fulfil the entry grades and requirements but I only do A level Biology and A level Geography “a second science”. I am also palnning on doing AS chemistry next year. My question is when it comes to admissions do you care more about the subject or grades/personal statement as my parents are pushing me to retake A level Chemistry but I don’t particularly enjoy it and it’s my worst subject so dropped to AS.

It made sense to me to go that way but my parents say my application isn’t good enough since it doesn’t have Chemistry in. Wondering if you know anything about admissions??

Sorry for the length 😅
Thanks
Original post by PotatoChild12
Hello,

I’m currently I am in year 13 and plans to apply to your Bcs Genetics course, I fulfil the entry grades and requirements but I only do A level Biology and A level Geography “a second science”. I am also palnning on doing AS chemistry next year. My question is when it comes to admissions do you care more about the subject or grades/personal statement as my parents are pushing me to retake A level Chemistry but I don’t particularly enjoy it and it’s my worst subject so dropped to AS.

It made sense to me to go that way but my parents say my application isn’t good enough since it doesn’t have Chemistry in. Wondering if you know anything about admissions??

Sorry for the length 😅
Thanks

Hi @PotatoChild12,
I've had a chat to my colleagues in Admissions, for genetics we look at for three A Level subjects and require Biology and a second Science subject (which includes Geography). We don't have a preference on the second science subject as long as it is one in the advertised list.

We also look at applications holistically and we would be happy to consider your academic achievements fully at the time of application. In addition we will assess ability and suitability for the course applied to, skills, interests, motivation and potential as indicated in the Personal Statement and Reference section of your application.

I hope that helps but let us know if you have any further questions.
Thanks,
Bea
hiya, i'm currently doing geography, biology and classics and I've just applied for physical geography and environment :smile:
Hi @PotatoChild12,
I've had a chat to my colleagues in Admissions, for genetics we look at for three A Level subjects and require Biology and a second Science subject (which includes Geography). We don't have a preference on the second science subject as long as it is one in the advertised list.

We also look at applications holistically and we would be happy to consider your academic achievements fully at the time of application. In addition we will assess ability and suitability for the course applied to, skills, interests, motivation and potential as indicated in the Personal Statement and Reference section of your application.

I hope that helps but let us know if you have any further questions.
Thanks,
Bea

So would they consider me an offer only for my Biology, Geography and Spanish but not Chemistry if I choose to apply with Chemistry even though it doesn’t meet entry standard? Or would that impact my application?
Original post by PotatoChild12
So would they consider me an offer only for my Biology, Geography and Spanish but not Chemistry if I choose to apply with Chemistry even though it doesn’t meet entry standard? Or would that impact my application?

Hi,

I believe that the department would consider giving you an offer for your three A levels. It's up to you if you want to include Chemistry in your application but it's not necessary as you would meet the requirements of a second science subject with Geography. So basically, either is fine :smile:
Hi everyone!

This is probably a silly question, but what kind of disabilities are generally worth filling out the mitigating circumstances form for? I have a chronic pain condition resulting in some absences due to hospital appointments and general pain (attendance is around 80% or a bit lower depending on flare-ups), but I'm not sure if this is something "serious enough" to be considered when looking at my application. Also whether I should include mental-health conditions (again, not sure if these are something taken into consideration). Thanks :smile:
Im applying for law with 3 A*s predicted in geography, economics and politics. Anyone else applying law?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending