The Student Room Group

has anyone made a big academic comeback in a levels ? year 13

yh what the question says lol.
tbh I have fallen really behind in my a levels esp in year 12 content and I genuinely don't know what to do. feeling extremely anxious and I don't want to retake. and also just want motivating stories tbh and want to know if it is possible and what did you do?
Context: grades are AABC I do maths, physics, biology and chem

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I am Charlotte. I am currently in my A-levels this year and have been predicted A*A*A*B grades in Maths, Biology, Further Maths, and Computer Science. During our year 12 end-of-year exams at college, I found myself falling behind, but how did I handle this challenge? Well, first and foremost, I did not panic. Falling behind is a common issue, and it's important to approach the situation with a positive and determined mindset. I knew that if I started somewhere, I could eventually achieve good grades.

I began by reading my textbooks and watching YouTube videos (there are plenty available for Maths, Biology, Further Maths, and Computer Science, and you'll find resources for your subjects too!).

1) Read the textbook - This is very important for building a basic understanding.

2) Watch a YouTube video - Next, I would watch a YouTube video on the topic.

3) Exam questions - I attempted as many exam questions as possible and would store them in a handy file.

4) Overall summary of what I did/did not understand in the topic - I wrote a summary of the course and identified areas that I found challenging or easy.

5) Ask the teacher - I would catch my teacher after lessons and ask them about anything I didn't understand. You can also reach out to them via Teams, or send them an email. You can start with this step, but please, do not be afraid to ask your teacher for help.

That's it! You can do it! Our A-level exams are still a while away, so there's no need to panic. I'm confident that you can succeed. You are a smart person who clearly cares about your education, and this is your first step. Don't leave revision until the last minute. Start today by following this method and reviewing one topic in your subjects. You'll feel much more confident by the end. So, dive into some revision.

You can do it!
Charlotte :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by biologynerd3443
Hello, I am Charlotte. I am currently in my A-levels this year and have been predicted A*A*A*B grades in Maths, Biology, Further Maths, and Computer Science. During our year 12 end-of-year exams at college, I found myself falling behind, but how did I handle this challenge? Well, first and foremost, I did not panic. Falling behind is a common issue, and it's important to approach the situation with a positive and determined mindset. I knew that if I started somewhere, I could eventually achieve good grades.

I began by reading my textbooks and watching YouTube videos (there are plenty available for Maths, Biology, Further Maths, and Computer Science, and you'll find resources for your subjects too!).

1) Read the textbook - This is very important for building a basic understanding.

2) Watch a YouTube video - Next, I would watch a YouTube video on the topic.

3) Exam questions - I attempted as many exam questions as possible and would store them in a handy file.

4) Overall summary of what I did/did not understand in the topic - I wrote a summary of the course and identified areas that I found challenging or easy.

5) Ask the teacher - I would catch my teacher after lessons and ask them about anything I didn't understand. You can also reach out to them via Teams, or send them an email. You can start with this step, but please, do not be afraid to ask your teacher for help.

That's it! You can do it! Our A-level exams are still a while away, so there's no need to panic. I'm confident that you can succeed. You are a smart person who clearly cares about your education, and this is your first step. Don't leave revision until the last minute. Start today by following this method and reviewing one topic in your subjects. You'll feel much more confident by the end. So, dive into some revision.

You can do it!
Charlotte :smile:

Hi Charlotte,

I wanted to reach out and express my heartfelt thanks for your incredibly encouraging and insightful message. Your personal experience and the steps you shared have given me renewed hope and determination to catch up on my A-levels. It's wonderful to hear from someone who faced a similar situation and managed to excel.

Your advice means the world to me, and I'm truly grateful for your support. I'm now inspired to start my journey towards improvement with a positive mindset, just as you did.

Thank you once again, Charlotte, for being such a motivating presence in my A-level journey.

Best regards,
Hani
Reply 3
I went from CDE to A* , A ,A in Chemistry ,Bio and Econ , was 4 marks of A* in chem and 7 in bio , Id be more than happy to help if you'd like to jump on zoom or whatever:smile:
Original post by Haniix
Hi Charlotte,

I wanted to reach out and express my heartfelt thanks for your incredibly encouraging and insightful message. Your personal experience and the steps you shared have given me renewed hope and determination to catch up on my A-levels. It's wonderful to hear from someone who faced a similar situation and managed to excel.

Your advice means the world to me, and I'm truly grateful for your support. I'm now inspired to start my journey towards improvement with a positive mindset, just as you did.

Thank you once again, Charlotte, for being such a motivating presence in my A-level journey.

Best regards,
Hani

No problem Hani! Do let me know if you need anything else :smile:
Original post by examboard
I went from CDE to A* , A ,A in Chemistry ,Bio and Econ , was 4 marks of A* in chem and 7 in bio , Id be more than happy to help if you'd like to jump on zoom or whatever:smile:

Hi @examboard.

I have sat my january mock exams and I got a DBB (D/close to C maths B bio B chem), however theres only 5 months (give or take) until the exams and I really need to get AAA. I just don't know if this is genuinly a realistic target with my current grades as most people in my year get all within A* As and Bs. I have around 5 hours each day which im willing to fully use to study (and then more in the last month of course).

Thank you :smile:
Mason
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Haniix
tbh I have fallen really behind in my a levels esp in year 12 content and I genuinely don't know what to do. feeling extremely anxious and I don't want to retake. and also just want motivating stories tbh and want to know if it is possible and what did you do?

Hey. When I was in your shoes a few years ago, I had a feeling I should retake my History A Level, I was predicted an A and achieved a B. My school pushed me to move forward. I had secured a law offer at LSE, my absolute dream school, and missed out on the conditional offer because I was 3 points off an A grade which I would have secured had I opted for retaking my AS Levels. I am currently in my gap year, a few days away from finding out the grades from the whole course retake of October November 2023. Listen to your gut. Don’t risk it. Wishing you a lot of luck!

Hey, was this during your year 13 mocks in january?
Reply 8
@AspiringSurvivor @emm4nuella @blktoothfairy @erin11
None of these have flopped but they're y13 and may be able to help motivate you 😁
Original post by Haniix

hiya, currently in year 13 but struggled at the end of year 12 (for various reasons) and ended up getting BCD in my y12 mocks - pulled up my predicteds to ABB by nov/dec 2023 and have offers from unis like kcl. my biggest piece of advice is to talk to your teachers as at the end of the day they want to help you do the best you can!! I don't do STEM subjects so not sure too much but id say that consistent spaced repetition with flashcards (I really like quizlet and knowt) and past papers will help !!! if you need any more advice or support , feel free to pm me :smile:
good luck!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Haniix

hello in year 12 i struggled a lot because i had just started sixth form and was nervous about the content! i havent made a massive comeback but i have definitely improved in year 13 once i had found my feet. you'll be fine :biggrin:!
Original post by Haniix

Hey!
I am in yr13 too.
I think you are doing really well with keeping up with 4 Alevels and the grades you are predicted are also really good!
Chem is not my strongest and i always struggle with it but I am really trying to improve so for me, I make notes of all the content I need to know so for example ‘if the equilibrium shifts to the right it will favour the products so reactants will decrease.’ Make sure you right down context for every single thing which will act as potential answers. When you think you understand one topic, do exam questions under timed conditions and mark yourself harshly, make note of whats wrong, etc.
if you don’t understand anything ask your teachers, watch youtube videos, ensure you understand it properly.
For biology, use the specification and write a summary for every single one. Revise it all because that is all that can come up, if you learn everything, no question will surprise you in the exam. That takes ALOT of time but hopefully its worth it.
I honestly hope you get the grades you want and you find this advice useful. Good luck!
Original post by Haniix

heres some motivation for you - i was expelled during year 10 in england (for context i moved from asia and went down a year due to diff exam boards) i wasnt accepted in any school till 2 weeks before gcses my school put me into y11 without learning the whole of year 10, nor 11. I had ZERO choice in this matter. ( i didnt wait two years i waited 4 months and got told i could be in year 10 again not year 11) i managed to pass most of them sure not with 9s or 8s but what can u do. now i was never smart, i was suspended numerous times, i never revised, i was averaging 2's in gcses dunno how i passed them tbh, but anyway. i got into a levels and was predicted EDD, YEAH EDD. to make matters worse, my law teacher quit in november we didnt get a replacement at all, my sociology teacher didnt show up to 75% of lessons, and my history teacher showed up 50% of the time too. and we still had to sit our AS exams at the end of year and get certain grades to continue the course - and of course i freaked the actual **** out as one does in my situation. but i didnt give up, i was never smart, i was dumb as hell, but i revised so hard day and night every type of revision you can think of i did, you wanna know why? because i wanted to go to uni and do law, i wanted to be a lawyer i wanted it more than everything, i thought you had to be naturally smart to get A's i thought you had to be gifted, but i learnt obsession beats talent every single time. Im now a year 13 and applied to unis, im now top of my year and predicted 3A*s, you can do it. you just have to want it. i promise you it is worth it i promise to god you can do this
(i apologise how long this is)
Reply 13
Original post by Haniix
nope! I was way better in y12. It's because of NEA, EPQ, interview and admissions tests that I'm behind a bit.

That being said, I'm sure you're in a better position than I am. You can do it!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 14
hey, when did you get CDE, so i know if its possible for me 😿
Original post by Haniix
hiya, im a y13 gal who does bio,chem and maths and i went from CDD to A*AB in my most recent mocks. ( still loosing my mind over maths and have no idea how im getting an A as i need it for uni but welp ) Absolutley hated chem in y12 but figured out a foolproof way of revising and now its my fav subject :smile:
Original post by momo_basket
hiya, im a y13 gal who does bio,chem and maths and i went from CDD to A*AB in my most recent mocks. ( still loosing my mind over maths and have no idea how im getting an A as i need it for uni but welp ) Absolutley hated chem in y12 but figured out a foolproof way of revising and now its my fav subject :smile:
How do you revise chem?
Reply 17
Original post by momo_basket
Can you please disclose this foolproof method for Chemistry and in return, I will give you a method for Maths. (A* in Maths and Further Maths in the mocks).
Original post by Haniix
I mean currently I’m predicted BBC, my UCAS is ABB, and I need AAB to get into Birmingham… I think it’s impossible idk, I have no clue what to do…
Reply 19
Original post by Jenningsr
I mean currently I’m predicted BBC, my UCAS is ABB, and I need AAB to get into Birmingham… I think it’s impossible idk, I have no clue what to do…
What subjects? I'm sure we can help you collectively...

Quick Reply

Latest