The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can I do an OU degree and a normal degree simultaneously

When I start university I want to pursue 2 degrees however there are no dual degree programs for any subjects I am interested in. Therfore I want to do a normal degree at a university while also completing am online degree at the open university. Is this possible/ allowed?
Original post by Sam ward 72
When I start university I want to pursue 2 degrees however there are no dual degree programs for any subjects I am interested in. Therfore I want to do a normal degree at a university while also completing am online degree at the open university. Is this possible/ allowed?

Absolutely not, no. You only get funding for one degree and there's a limit anyway on how many credits you can do per year.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Anonymous #1
Absolutely not, no. You only get funding for one degree and there's a limit anyway on how many credits you can do per year.

The OP didn't ask about funding. Credit limits are internal to a particular university.
Hi @Sam ward 72

There are some institutions that do offer dual programmes, however in the higher education sector, they are often called "combined studies degrees" or "joint honours". While it is not something we offer, a quick google search for that term brings up a few institutions that do offer it.

Places like Heriot-Watt University, St Andrews, Liverpool, Newcastle, Exeter and more offer combined studies courses.

Best of luck with your application!
Lewis

Social media and content officer, University of Huddersfield
(edited 1 month ago)

Why do you want to do this? Which subjects are you trying to combine?

Have you spoken to OU and the university concerned about this? It will depend very much on their regulations (and as stated it will cause issues with finance or if you require a visa it might cause issues with that too)
(edited 1 month ago)
As far as I'm aware universities don't permit you to be enrolled at another institution simultaneously as a matter of policy.

Note the OU has an "Open Degree" programme where you can combine more or less any subjects and modules offered by the OU. This may permit you to take a more bespoke degree while still studying at the OU as you intend.

There are also as alluded to some more flexible combined study schemes noted above. Without knowing what subjects specifically you are wanting to combine (knowing why might also be helpful to guide advice but less essential than the what) it's harder to offer advice about it.

Note also the term "dual degree" in the UK has a specific meaning and is very uncommon. It's not the same as a joint/combined honours degree. This is also why it would be helpful to know what you want to study (and ideally, what your goals for that are) as it may be there are existing programmes that would cater to it but that are labelled in a way you hadn't been looking at.
Reply 6
I think it would be better to get a first class classification in 1 degree, than 2:2 in two degrees. I would just concentrate on one, it’s quite a lot of work.

Quick Reply

Latest