The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Religious Studies Paper 2 (H573/02) - 17th June 2024 [Exam Chat]

OCR A-level Religious Studies Paper 2: Religion and Ethics (H573/02) - 17th June 2024 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam.
Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 17th June 2024 PM
Length: 2h

Good luck!
Click here to find exam discussions for other A-level subjects

Hi, I'm flowersinmyhair! I'm aiming to get an A in RS, but ethics is definitely my weakest part of the course, because there are so many little things to remember about each of the ethical theories.
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Hi, I'm flowersinmyhair! I'm aiming to get an A in RS, but ethics is definitely my weakest part of the course, because there are so many little things to remember about each of the ethical theories.

What kinds of little things are you referring to? There isn't really more AO1 content for ethics than Philosophy and DCT tbh!
Original post by Joe312
What kinds of little things are you referring to? There isn't really more AO1 content for ethics than Philosophy and DCT tbh!
The specific details about Situation Ethics and Kantian Ethics where you need to remember things like the four working principles etc. I just find them harder to remember than most other aspects of the course.
Reply 4
Original post by flowersinmyhair
The specific details about Situation Ethics and Kantian Ethics where you need to remember things like the four working principles etc. I just find them harder to remember than most other aspects of the course.

Everyone has things like that they find harder. Unfortunately it means you just have to commit more time to it than other things! Summary notes you can put on flash cards and do active recall self-testing are good.

Here's my summary notes for the AO1 for those two theories:

Situation ethics AO1

Fletcher rejects the traditional Chrisian approach to ethics which he calls ‘legalism’ -basing ethics on strict rules that have to always be followed.

Fletcher rejects this because it fails to take the situation into account.

Fletcher also rejects antinomianism - the view that there are no rules at all - Fletcher rejects this as it leads to moral chaos.

Fletcher thinks his situation ethics is the middle ground between these extremes.

It focuses on one guiding principle that is applied to all situations - agape.

Agape means Christian love - selfless love of your neighbour.

An action is good or bad depending on whether it has a loving outcome.

Fletcher elaborated on this with the ‘four working principles’:

Pragmatism - must take the situation into account

Personalism - people are more important than rules

Positivism - putting agape at the centre of ethics must be taken on faith

Relativism - an action is only right or wrong relative to agape, i.e., depending on whether it has a loving outcome

Six fundamental principles: love is the: only intrinsic good, ruling norm of Christian moral decision-making which decides there and then, is what justifies the means, is the same as justice and wills the neighbour’s good whether we like them or not.

Conscience - Fletcher doesn’t think conscience is a ‘noun’ - he says it is not a thing that tells you what is good or bad

Conscience is a verb - the process of figuring out what the loving thing to do is in a situation.

Kantian ethics AO1

Kant wanted to base morality on reason, because this could create a harmonious society where everyone would at least have the potential to agree about morality. If people base morality on different faith, there’s no way to agree.

Kant thinks we can discover a universal moral law through reason and it is our duty to follow it.

The good will is one which has the right moral motivation. We must do our duty out of a sense of duty - not because of our own personal feelings or desires. E.g. we should give to charity because it’s our duty - not because we feel sympathy.

Hypothetical vs categorical imperatives. Hypothetical imperatives are of the forms ‘you should do X if you want Y’. They are therefore dependent on our personal goals/desires/wants.

Kant thought that our duty must be to follow the categorical imperative - which is of the forms ‘do X’.Morality cannot be dependent on our personal feelings - so our duty must be categorical, not hypothetical.

The first formulation of the CA - only do an action if it is universalizable - if it is possible for everyone to do it.

E.g. It’s not actually possible for everyone to steal, since if everyone stole there’d be no property and then no one could steal.

E.g. It’s not possible for everyone to lie, since if everyone lied there’s be no honesty/trust, and then no one could lie.

If it’s not possible for everyone to do an action, then that action can’t be part of the universal moral law since that must apply to everyone in all situations.

The second formulation - always treat persons, never merely as a means but always at the same time as an end.

Always treat people as if they have their own goals in life.

The third formulation - just act as if you were part of a society where everyone was following Kant’s ethics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending