The Student Room Group

Zidane vs. Maradonna

I've always maintained Zidane is better than Maradonna, who agrees?

nb: I also think C.Ronaldo is better than Messi (for several other reasons).

Scroll to see replies

Maradonna was better than Zidane and Lionel Messi is the best player in the world.

/thread.
Original post by searchingshadow

C. Ronaldo will go on to be the best of all time :yy:
Maradona at his peak was unstoppable and most people will say Maradona here however I think given the choice of either Zidane or Maradona in my team I would have taken Zidane who I think would have more positive effect on a team over time, especially if you had other good players as well.

I do think for talent and individual ability Maradona was ahead of Zidane at his peak however when it comes to longevity, Zidane wins no contest. You can't exactly say Maradona burned out quickly because he was a superb player throughout his 20s but once he turned 30 his decline was abrupt. I would say the 1990 World Cup where Maradona was already not quite the player he was in 86, was the last time Maradona could be ranked among the top players in the world. He carried on playing another eight seasons after that but he was in denial, living off past glories, out of shape and largely ineffective. He was like an ageing Gascoigne just carrying on playing because he didn't know what else to do. Contrast that to Zidane....Zidane's career improved season by season through his 20s, he signed for Real Madrid aged 29 for a world record fee, even at the age of 34 in his last tournament, the 2006 World Cup, he was still probably the best attacking player in that tournament.

So overall whilst I respect why people will just look at talent and pick Maradona first, I would have Zidane.

Regarding Messi I think he is in the league of Maradona for talent but seems to have a better lifestyle so will not go bust like Maradona did, I think Messi will end up being known as the best player of all time because there won't be the doubts about him like there are Maradona.
Reply 4
For effectivness I'd have taken Zidan.In a perfect world the ideal team would be:

Kahn

Dani Alves Beckenbauer Baresi Maldini

Zidan Xavi

Zico Maradona

Messi Puskas

Subs: C.Ronaldo,Cantona,Thuram,Buffon,Ronaldinho(the 2004-2006 version)
Reply 5
Original post by Theconomist
For effectivness I'd have taken Zidan.In a perfect world the ideal team would be:

Kahn

Dani Alves Beckenbauer Baresi Maldini

Zidan Xavi

Zico Maradona

Messi Puskas

Subs: C.Ronaldo,Cantona,Thuram,Buffon,Ronaldinho(the 2004-2006 version)

lol, i agree with 2004-2006 ronaldinho addition into your squad. Although you missed the 'real' ronaldo (fat one), Catona and Bergkamp.
Reply 6
Original post by MedicineStuudent
C. Ronaldo will go on to be the best of all time :yy:

I agree, compared to Messi;

-he is faster
-stronger
-better in the air
-more skillfull (although, not a better dribbler admitedly)
-better from set pieces (esp. freekicks)
-scored 52(?) goals in a season, in which he was below par and sticken with injury
-scored 42 in EPL, doubt Messi could cope in the EPL
-lol, i will repeat the fact that Messi has an awesome team around him

nb: messi is awesome too lol
Reply 7
Original post by TheRustaman
Maradonna was better than Zidane and Lionel Messi is the best player in the world.

/thread.

Disagree, compared to Messi;

-he is faster
-stronger
-better in the air
-scored 52(?) goals in a season, in which he was below par and sticken with injury

zidane vs maradonna? Isn't that like comparing rooney to messi? LOL

why did i get 2 negs for this? Some peed off man u fans still got sore anus' from being raped in the champions league final? LOL
(edited 12 years ago)
messi is god. Most down to earth, nicest guy ever! Ronaldo is a serial paris hilton shagging, diving cry-baby who holds his face and jumps onto the ground when ever someone touches him.
Ronaldo gives his shirt to fan's whose noses he has accidently broken. Messi doesn't.
Reply 11
Maradona did more for his teams especially argentina than Zidane did for his, however, Zidane had by far the better career and wasnt exactly a mug as we all know and its in the end a stupid comparison.

Also comparing Ronaldo to Messi is ****ing daft as they have a completely different style and physicality.
Reply 12

-he is faster
-stronger
-better in the air

Faster? So what. Theo Walcott's faster than them both but I wouldn't rave about him.

Stronger? Ok given but Messi can definitely hold his own considering how many defenders try to hack at his legs.

Better in the air? True.

More skillful? Not true.

Better from set pieces? If Messi took as many freekicks as Ronaldo then this statement would have no truth. Just because he can hit the ball in a certain way doesn't imply he regularly hits the ball on target.

More goals? Again, true, yet the majority of Ronaldo's goals were inside the penalty area and against weak opposition. Plus, given how many chances he takes to score (his goal to chance ratio is awful) not so impressive.

He didn't score 42 in the premier league, his most was 31. Considering how Messi has performed against Man United and Arsenal that second statement is Andy Gray esque and completely absurd.

Messi does have a strong team around him, but as does Ronaldo.

-----
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
zidane + that champ. league final goal = better
Reply 14

-he is faster
-stronger
-better in the air

Did you just say Ronaldo is more skillfull than Messi :eek:
Ronaldo's dribbling ability is one of the greatest fallacies in football. His ball control is not even as good as players like Iniesta, Nasri, Ribery, Aguero, Robben, Cassano, Zarate etc. Do not let his stepovers deceive you, he is nothing special technique/dribbling wise, this is shown when he is trapped in tight spaces and all of the above players manage to get themselves out of tricky situtions more than CR. Ronaldo just uses his great physical advantages to get past people (agility, speed, acceleration, balance) and does pointless tricks leading to nowhere. It is idiotic comparing goalscoring records too, Messi is much, much more than a goalscorer, whereas Ronaldo makes it his duty to selfishly make sure he scores in every game by attampting a unbelievable amount of shots each game (he surely must have broken some records here).

Also Zidane is overrated as a player imo, but because he was great in the big games (what most people seemingly judge players on) he is held in such high esteem. In terms of talent and consistency, Michael Laudrup was the better player, better passer, vision, faster, fitter etc. And although Zidane is the most elegant footballer I've seen on a football pitch he is undoubtedly not as good as pretty much everybody here is saying he is imo. So basically what I'm saying is if I wanted a player for one or two big games it would be Zidane, but if I wanted someone for a whole season it would be Laudrup.

And to answer the question I'd pick Maradona 100%, as well as players like Cruyff, Zico, Platini etc. over Zidane. Zidane is great player and a true match winner, just a bit overrated imo. But I guess it depends how you rate players...
Reply 15
Maradonna all the way
And who said C Ronaldo is better than Messi
u must not be thinking right taking into account Messi is the best player in the world!!!!!!

Zidane, the complete footballer.
Messi.
Reply 17

-he is faster
-stronger
-better in the air

I agree with all of that.

Yet Messi is a better dribbler, passer and mover.

And those three attributes are essentially what comprise most of the game play during a match.
Reply 18
Zidane, the better professional, although to be fair he never had games like Maradonna where he was completely unplayable.

Messi>C. Ronaldo, Messi can play anywhere, and despite Ronaldo's versatility, Messi is simply awesome wherever he is. Barca don't do wild crosses/ conventional set pieces. Messi can't cope in EPL? What trash-he's spanked Arsenal and ManU in recent years, so what does that tell you?
Reply 19
Original post by phil-g_92
Did you just say Ronaldo is more skillfull than Messi :eek:
Ronaldo's dribbling ability is one of the greatest fallacies in football. His ball control is not even as good as players like Iniesta, Nasri, Ribery, Aguero, Robben, Cassano, Zarate etc. Do not let his stepovers deceive you, he is nothing special technique/dribbling wise, this is shown when he is trapped in tight spaces and all of the above players manage to get themselves out of tricky situtions more than CR. Ronaldo just uses his great physical advantages to get past people (agility, speed, acceleration, balance) and does pointless tricks leading to nowhere. It is idiotic comparing goalscoring records too, Messi is much, much more than a goalscorer, whereas Ronaldo makes it his duty to selfishly make sure he scores in every game by attampting a unbelievable amount of shots each game (he surely must have broken some records here).

Basically all you've said is that Ronaldo has poor ball control. Messi and Robben's ball control is better, certainly, especially considering they almost exclusively use one foot, yet saying Ronaldo's ball control is a "fallacy" is just embarrassing. He flourishes in open spaces, but his ball control at high speeds is still extremely impressive and I can't fathom how you think it's masked by stepovers. Do you think he boots and chases the ball or what? I cba searching for clips, but I direct you to last season's first game against Tenerife where he sprinted the whole length of the field with the ball at his feet, taking on about half their team along the way, or his dribbles against Almeria last year as well. I don't know how trustworthy the source is, but "Der Spiegel" said that he's the fastest player with the ball at his feet in the world. None of that really matters, it's obvious from when you watch him play that he has excellent ball control.

Quick Reply

Latest