The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

hi guys. im starting in feb too and its so nervewrecking. so nervous its unreal. hope it goes well for everyone. :smile: send me a message if ya want :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hi,

I am due to start this module in Oct 14, I live Bristol, is there anyone else in this area starting at the same time, it would be good to make connections with others to maybe form a study group. I am looking forward to getting going with it but nervous as its has been a long time since studying.:smile:
Original post by Matildapuddles
Hi,

I am due to start this module in Oct 14, I live Bristol, is there anyone else in this area starting at the same time, it would be good to make connections with others to maybe form a study group. I am looking forward to getting going with it but nervous as its has been a long time since studying.:smile:

I'm starting in October too, excited and nervous! I live near Oxford.
Im starting this in October aswell! Im from newport
I'm starting in October 4th :biggrin: has anyone received there pack yet ?
Reply 25
StArting in Oct aswell. Hertfordshire. Pack came today!!!
Original post by xjoshey
StArting in Oct aswell. Hertfordshire. Pack came today!!!

Mine still hasn't arrived ... What are you studying after y032 ?
Really good Idea. I did Applied Health and Social Care level 3 at A level and this is similar to a lot of what you will learn and this explains it a lot better than my textbook at the time.
This course is really good.
Im going on to study Law.
hi im also starting this course so pls coonect up with me if you can
regards
sue
Reply 29
Original post by chelseacosta
hi im also starting this course so pls coonect up with me if you can
regards
sue

Original post by b9fkscot
Hi i'm new to all this and this is my first time in higher education i'm going to be studying People, work and society Access module (Y032) as of tomorrow and i though it might be nice to see if anyone else is doing this at the same time.

Look forward to hearing from you guys! :smile:

I feel like Cilla Black :h:
Hi everyone - I was wondering if you could help me. I'm looking to study Social Work, hopefully at UWE. Would an Open University Access course get me onto that? They are willing to look at candidates who have done access courses, but I wasn't sure if the OU one only enables you to go onto an OU degree afterwards.

Any thoughts? Did you all go on to do degrees in "brick" universities, or OU?

edit - I'm 27 by the way, and have been working full time in an unrelated industry for the last 10 years - but I have always wanted to be a Social Worker!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by marymary1987
Hi everyone - I was wondering if you could help me. I'm looking to study Social Work, hopefully at UWE. Would an Open University Access course get me onto that? They are willing to look at candidates who have done access courses, but I wasn't sure if the OU one only enables you to go onto an OU degree afterwards.

Any thoughts? Did you all go on to do degrees in "brick" universities, or OU?

edit - I'm 27 by the way, and have been working full time in an unrelated industry for the last 10 years - but I have always wanted to be a Social Worker!

OU Access modules are completely different to the Access to HE courses you get at colleges. They are designed for people who want to do an OU degree.

Many brick universities do accept OU qualifications for entry onto their degrees, most will ask for between 60 and 120 credits at level 1 - OU Access modules are only 30 credits at level 0. There are financial implications to using the OU as a route into a brick university, so I think you should do an Access to HE course if at all possible.
Reply 32
thanks for the inspiration! i am just starting access course in october before i get on with social science. will get a degree from it, just using the access to get back into schooling as it has been over 20 years since i was at school.
Graham
Reply 33
Hey starting this course in Feb 2015. Study buddies?
Hey I'm Jacquie from Birmingham. I am starting the module, I'm all excited, something very new for me. I plan to go on into Law. Got my pack this morning :smile: hope to find some study buddies as I live alone so will be nice to have people to talk to about the course

if anyone fancies chatting pm me :smile:
Reply 35
hi am starting this course in october if you have already started how is it going can you give me any tips is there anything i need to read before hand
Reply 36
Original post by wendybx
hi am starting this course in october if you have already started how is it going can you give me any tips is there anything i need to read before hand

You don't need to do any particular pre reading as everything is given to you as part of the course.

If you haven't studied for a while you may want to consider study skills, but again this is addressed during the course. You may want to consider what time you can devote to study - can you read on the train, do you need childcare, do you have a desk? Think about your circumstances as it will be very personal.
You will need a computer and Internet access. You've posted here so presumably you have basic knowledge. You might want to play with Word (or other word processing software) to ensure you can change font size, insert a header, double space (also called increase line spacing) and save a file. You'll need to submit files electronically which is very similar to attaching the file to an email - if you can save your practice document and email it to a friend you'll be fine with that. Can you use a search engine and then copy the website url to find again in future? Can you then copy that url into your Word document? Can you log into a website? Can you play audio and video files from the Internet, or play a DVD?
You're not going to need amazing computer skills but you will need to do everything I've listed. If you can't you've got until October to find out! If you can then you'll be fine.
Reply 37
Hi
I'm also starting in Oct before going on to a BA Honours in Early Childhood. Hopefully anyway! I haven't studied for 18 years, so I'm hoping it doesn't scary me to death. I'm excited to get started but nervous at the same time
Reply 38
Hi I too am about to study the access course in October. I must admit I am feeling so nervous because I have no qualifications and feel everything will be way above my head. However your tip has helped regarding computer skills copying from Web. I wondered if you could be more helpful on study skills. Much appreciated.
Reply 39
Original post by Zy607982
Hi I too am about to study the access course in October. I must admit I am feeling so nervous because I have no qualifications and feel everything will be way above my head. However your tip has helped regarding computer skills copying from Web. I wondered if you could be more helpful on study skills. Much appreciated.

You won't need many study skills as the course will teach you. But you will need space and time to study.

Can you find several hours of free time? It could be one hour a day, or a block of time on the weekend. The exact amount will depend on the course, so you might only need 5-10 hours for the first few modules and then more time as you progress through your degree.
You'll need a desk or somewhere to write, and somewhere to keep your books tidy. Some people prefer to make notes on a computer, but others prefer notebook and pen - try both to see what works for you. Get some highlighters and different colour pens.
A lot of people struggle with notetaking when watching a video or listening to audio. Try watching TV or YouTube and taking notes. Because you're just practising it doesn't matter what it is. You will have audio and video sources at some point during your degree.

Latest