The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Does it sound better to have an 'Open' Degree or a Subject Degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViviBalthier14!
I'm planning on Doing an Open Degree to cater to the Health and social care aspect. As i work in healthcare administration im using it as a stepping stone to apply for jobs that require a degree AND experience. I have one but not the other.

Im currently at university doing public health and health promotion the problem is its less than fulfilling with some core modules that are patronising and uninspiring, looking the public health degree with OU its way more advanced and tailored than brick degrees. I think the most important thing is tailoring your skill set for the job your applying for and being able to demonstrate you have the skillset, the degree content most certainly matters you study for the sector your to work in, only some degree skills are transferable you wouldn't want an accountant caring for you in hospital you would want someone with a nursing degree, personally i think the open degree is very appealing for health and social care there are so many directions to go in that aren't covered in any one fits all degree. Im like you i have years of experience but not the gold edged paper but im not feeling this degree if im not gaining experience or skill but regurgitating. Im thinking OU open may give people an advantage, employers look for out of the box thinkers now days innovation over conformity. The reason so many degree applicants go past an employers eyes so fast and brutally is for that reason, on paper most people are the same, same degree, similar grades, same topics, same or similar assignments, there is often little to tell a person apart, now an open OU thats interesting its something different, created, tailored, thought has gone into it, it sells itself. Distance learning always demonstrates determination, time management, resilience and discipline. :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest