The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Is a Grade 4 pass with the OU at level 2 bad news for my final degree grade

I just got my OES score (42) for my last Ou module and it completely went against what my OCAS score was (81)

I have no idea why it was so low in comparison to my OCAS score as no feedback is given on it and although it wasn't a world beating essay I'm pretty shocked at the score as I really think it warranted a higher score.

Anyway, I have 180 points of the 360 needed for a degree now but I'm concerned at the level of the pass (Grade 4) having a bad effect on my degree grade. With 180 points to go and level 3 to come I'm just disheartened as I always do well on the OCAS averaging over 80 and then get a low OES score which is the important one as far as I can gather. Will this grade 4 seriously affect my final degree grade?

I just don't want to go to all this effort and expense with working full time as well and doing a degree to do well all year then have the EMA assessments mean I get a third class degree.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Bluebook81
I just got my OES score (42) for my last Ou module and it completely went against what my OCAS score was (81)

I have no idea why it was so low in comparison to my OCAS score as no feedback is given on it and although it wasn't a world beating essay I'm pretty shocked at the score as I really think it warranted a higher score.

Anyway, I have 180 points of the 360 needed for a degree now but I'm concerned at the level of the pass (Grade 4) having a bad effect on my degree grade. With 180 points to go and level 3 to come I'm just disheartened as I always do well on the OCAS averaging over 80 and then get a low OES score which is the important one as far as I can gather. Will this grade 4 seriously affect my final degree grade?

I just don't want to go to all this effort and expense with working full time as well and doing a degree to do well all year then have the EMA assessments mean I get a third class degree.

Thanks

It's recoverable. You can still get a 2:1 or even a 1st if your grades on later modules are high enough.

Your OCAS is good so that should be possible if you can work out what went wrong with the EMA... I do science modules which are not essay based so I'm not sure how relevant my experience is...generally though I have found that the examiners are looking for very specific things from the learning outcomes- and you can produce a brilliant piece of work but if it doesn't address the learning outcomes you won't get marks for it.

There are people here more used to essay type work so maybe they can give more specific advice
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
The work you do in Stage 3 counts two-to-one against your Stage 2 modules. As niyuco suggested, though, you'll really need to figure out what went wrong so your efforts go in the right direction.

Niyuco, thanks for the tip about writing to the learning outcomes. That makes excellent sense.
Have a look at this calculator - you can see how different possible module results affect your overall degree classification. It's absolutely still possible to do well overall; it'll depend how you do in the rest of your modules.
Original post by Bluebook81
Thanks

You're certainly not alone. I have to admit the degrees at open uni is so tough. The way they work there marking criteria is nothing like other universities so to even get a grade 3 pass is an accomplishment. As mentioned below, as long as you rectify the problem in your final year you should be fine. I was getting 2:2's before but my marks have dropped recently which of course is frustrating but I really look at everything from a positive now. To even get a degree is amazing so chin up and just try your best that's all you can do

Latest