The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

The Official 'Ask a Current Open University Student' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

I am very interested in studying with the OU, I am 21 and looking to study law

Anyone studing with the OU at the moment?

Any PROS/CONS?

Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
Would you recommend it to younger people ie 18/19? I want to study Law at my firm but I reckon I’ve missed my offer 😭

Hi can someone please explain to me how doing 120 credits (full time) in a year works? Do you study one module from October - February and then the 2nd module March - September? Or do you study both modules at the same time for the whole year?

Original post by Lstudent1997
Hello,

I am very interested in studying with the OU, I am 21 and looking to study law

Anyone studing with the OU at the moment?

Any PROS/CONS?

Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated!

Yes, I'm studying with them.

Pros;
You can study at home, anywhere, any time.
You have your own tutor.
You get books posted to you.
It's cheaper.
There's a big online student community.
You can meet up one or twice a month for face to face tutorials to meet tutors and other students.
Good student support available 6 days a week, as well as your tutor.

Cons;
Some discrepancies between what each tutor is wanting from you.
The OU has made some mistakes in my modules, though they've always been corrected with little effect on us.

Original post by kiki213
Would you recommend it to younger people ie 18/19? I want to study Law at my firm but I reckon I’ve missed my offer 😭

Yes definitely! There are child geniuses who have studied with the OU at age 16! I started my degree at age 22. The ages vary hugely, but a tutor once noted that there seems to be an increase in the number of young students who are signing up. If studying at home with fewer parties is your thing, it's perfect! You can always study year 1 with them, get 120 credits behind you and transfer to another university.

Original post by Neelambri

Hi can someone please explain to me how doing 120 credits (full time) in a year works? Do you study one module from October - February and then the 2nd module March - September? Or do you study both modules at the same time for the whole year?

Modules can be 30 or 60 credits, but they are usually 60 credits, meaning you would do two modules in a year to complete 120 credits. In year 1, you sometimes can stagger your modules, so you would start in October, then start the second in February which is what I did. In other years, you can only start an academic year in October.
Is anyone studying OU Primary Education?? Please message me I’m looking to start in October and would love some advice! Xx
Hi all!

My partner is looking to study English Literature at the OU, and she's transferred from Kent Uni after 2nd Year. The issue is that because she 'Passed on Condone' (i.e. failed but the average was a pass) for one of her modules she's only been given 180 credits rather than 240 credits.

She's not working at the moment, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the English time requirement for full time study/if doing 180 credits in a year is insanity?

Thanks for any replies!
Hey!

I've applied to study BSc in Psychology too. Did you study social or child psychology for the first module?

Also, do you get time off in the same way brick universities do?

Oh and lastly, do you study part-time or full-time?

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Nathdragon5
Hi all!

My partner is looking to study English Literature at the OU, and she's transferred from Kent Uni after 2nd Year. The issue is that because she 'Passed on Condone' (i.e. failed but the average was a pass) for one of her modules she's only been given 180 credits rather than 240 credits.

She's not working at the moment, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the English time requirement for full time study/if doing 180 credits in a year is insanity?

Thanks for any replies!

I believe you can only do 120 credits per year, otherwise you probably wouldn't get funding. The OU strongly advise against doing full time study but it's possible. You would be expected to put in a lot of hours which your friend will be made aware of if she rings the OU for some guidance and before she begins. She would likely have to do 120 credits in one year, then 60 credits in the next academic year to get the 180 credits.

Original post by Laceyvee
Hey!

I've applied to study BSc in Psychology too. Did you study social or child psychology for the first module?

Also, do you get time off in the same way brick universities do?

Oh and lastly, do you study part-time or full-time?

Thank you! :smile:

I did social psychology. The first module was largely disliked - it is broad, which is what social psychology is. People thought that the whole degree was going to be like that but from the second module onward, it's pretty intense psychological stuff. My third module was going to be a social psychology one, which I didn't realise until I received the books so I've changed to really intense science based modules!
Yes, you get a week off for Easter and a couple off for Christmas. You have summer off and you sometimes get time to work on assignments which can be useful to catch up or get ahead in study.
I studied full time for the first year, but I'm studying part time for the rest of my degree so I can focus on getting good grades!

Btw, I have blogs here, that I'm going to update now, that you might like to read. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5004068
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4905430
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by hannxm
I believe you can only do 120 credits per year, otherwise you probably wouldn't get funding. The OU strongly advise against doing full time study but it's possible. You would be expected to put in a lot of hours which your friend will be made aware of if she rings the OU for some guidance and before she begins. She would likely have to do 120 credits in one year, then 60 credits in the next academic year to get the 180 credits.

I did social psychology. The first module was largely disliked - it is broad, which is what social psychology is. People thought that the whole degree was going to be like that but from the second module onward, it's pretty intense psychological stuff. My third module was going to be a social psychology one, which I didn't realise until I received the books so I've changed to really intense science based modules!
Yes, you get a week off for Easter and a couple off for Christmas. You have summer off and you sometimes get time to work on assignments which can be useful to catch up or get ahead in study.
I studied full time for the first year, but I'm studying part time for the rest of my degree so I can focus on getting good grades!

Btw, I have blogs here, that I'm going to update now, that you might like to read. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5004068
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4905430

Would you say the first stage is easy enough to work 5 days a week and study full-time? I don't want to sign up for full-time and realise I'm in over my head!

Also, would you say that social psychology is actually a lot about politics? Or just covering society in general?

I shall have a good read of your blogs and possibly keep on to you in the future when I need advice haha!

Best of luck with the next year though :smile:
Original post by Laceyvee
Would you say the first stage is easy enough to work 5 days a week and study full-time? I don't want to sign up for full-time and realise I'm in over my head!

Also, would you say that social psychology is actually a lot about politics? Or just covering society in general?

I shall have a good read of your blogs and possibly keep on to you in the future when I need advice haha!

Best of luck with the next year though :smile:

Many people work full time and study full time. It's possible if you're determined enough to study almost every day and keep up and do your assignments in time. You could start full time and then defer a module and go down to part time if you're struggling though - not the end of the world!

There is some marketing, politics, history and society in social psychology/DD102. In DD210, level 2 module, I noticed some history and politics as I looked through the books. Politics isn't all that interesting to me, but I kind of skipped over those chapters.:lol: It is not the dominating factor in DD102 though, there are definitely parts I found interesting. My blogs are a little ****, but they will give you insight into how it runs and my thoughts/experiences/concerns/obstacles throughout the year as an OU student.
Original post by hannxm
Many people work full time and study full time. It's possible if you're determined enough to study almost every day and keep up and do your assignments in time. You could start full time and then defer a module and go down to part time if you're struggling though - not the end of the world!

There is some marketing, politics, history and society in social psychology/DD102. In DD210, level 2 module, I noticed some history and politics as I looked through the books. Politics isn't all that interesting to me, but I kind of skipped over those chapters.:lol: It is not the dominating factor in DD102 though, there are definitely parts I found interesting. My blogs are a little ****, but they will give you insight into how it runs and my thoughts/experiences/concerns/obstacles throughout the year as an OU student.

You've been so helpful! I'm quite interested in politics and society, so I'll probably be one of those few people that like this module haha!

I've been reading through your blogs and congrats on all of your assignments, you seem to be kicking A! You seem to be similar to me in the sense that I worry about things a lot, so will be interesting to see how I fair in comparison to you. I've definitely subscribed :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by hannxm
Hey everyone! I started my OU journey last year and I'm fast approaching the end of year one. If you have any questions for an OU student, ask away! :h:

My blog & my GYG blog

Hi,

I have recently submitted my OU application, personal statement and references. In the application pack I had to chose a selection day. What happens at the selection day? I have not heard anything since submitting my application :frown:
Original post by JLS26
Hi,

I have recently submitted my OU application, personal statement and references. In the application pack I had to chose a selection day. What happens at the selection day? I have not heard anything since submitting my application :frown:

The Open University doesn't require references or a PS, neither does it hold a selection day so I think you've got this confused with another university?
Reply 33
Original post by hannxm
The Open University doesn't require references or a PS, neither does it hold a selection day so I think you've got this confused with another university?

Are you not in the UK??? It does require an application form, PS and selection day etc because Iv just done all the paper work for it with my Local Authority
Original post by JLS26
Are you not in the UK??? It does require an application form, PS and selection day etc because Iv just done all the paper work for it with my Local Authority

Which course are you doing? I think the nursing and midwifery course requires that doesn't it? There will be more people on Facebook groups for your course so it might be worth asking there rather than here. Though asking the OU would be the best way of all.

For most courses at the OU you don't need to do a PS or go to a selection day so most people on here won't have experienced it.
Original post by JLS26

I am, but I'm in my second uni year and this was not a requirement, so it might be a different style course?

Original post by SuperCat007
Which course are you doing? I think the nursing and midwifery course requires that doesn't it? There will be more people on Facebook groups for your course so it might be worth asking there rather than here. Though asking the OU would be the best way of all.

For most courses at the OU you don't need to do a PS or go to a selection day so most people on here won't have experienced it.

This ^
how does the student loan work for full time at ou?
If i start a psychology degree with the OU then decide I want to move to a brick University the following year.. is that allowed? I've not seen any option to transfer. Also I'm worried if i do 3 years Psychology, that I wont get into the clinical psychology doctorate at a brick uni.
I feel like if there is 18 applicants from a Russell group uni and me from the OU, i wouldn't stand a chance gaining a place.
That's what I'm worried about!
Original post by stack__
how does the student loan work for full time at ou?

The same as part time. Make sure to check the button on your finance application form which states you allow the finance to be adjusted by the OU when your study intensity is confirmed and it will be adjusted once your attendance is confirmed by the OU.

Maintenance loans are only available to disabled students unable to attend university this year but should be available to all new students from next October.
Original post by irishlion
If i start a psychology degree with the OU then decide I want to move to a brick University the following year.. is that allowed? I've not seen any option to transfer. Also I'm worried if i do 3 years Psychology, that I wont get into the clinical psychology doctorate at a brick uni.
I feel like if there is 18 applicants from a Russell group uni and me from the OU, i wouldn't stand a chance gaining a place.
That's what I'm worried about!

It would be best to check with the uni you wish to attend for further study and the one you might want to transfer to about their entry requirements for their courses.
If you plan to transfer then be careful about the number of years you study with the OU as SFE do not have clear rules (that’s a lie, they do, but they are inconsistent at following them) on students transferring from part-full time. So you may end up eating into your full time loan entitlement if you spend more than 1 academic year studying at the OU. So make sure you know which module combinations will gain you entry to the course you want to transfer to before embarking on OU study.

Quick Reply

Latest