The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

The Official 'Ask a Current Open University Student' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Eirlys-
Hey everyone! I started my OU journey last year and I'm fast approaching the end of year one. If you have any questions for an OU student, ask away! :h:

My blog & my GYG blog

Hi , I have just applied for BSc (Honours) Psychology with Counselling and am hoping to get a head start on the reading - does anyone know which books are on the suggested reading list? (if there is such a list?)

thanks all
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
There is no need to do further reading in most of the degree. You only need the module materials. My advice would be to begin study when the module site opens which can be a week or two before the official start date. It's usually a good idea to get ahead if you can.
Original post by KellyKane2905
Hi , I have just applied for BSc (Honours) Psychology with Counselling and am hoping to get a head start on the reading - does anyone know which books are on the suggested reading list? (if there is such a list?)

thanks all
Hi,

I'm finishing up my first year in BSc geography and environmental science, and I want to move from studying part time to full time.
I'm just wondering how complicated the process is; and how big the difficulty spike is?
Original post by heypusheen
Hi,

I'm finishing up my first year in BSc geography and environmental science, and I want to move from studying part time to full time.
I'm just wondering how complicated the process is; and how big the difficulty spike is?

The process is the same as part time. Except you choose 120 credits worth of modules instead of 60. You’ll get emails from the OU suggesting it is best to not do 120 but it is really up to you.

120 is tough but doable. It really depends on your motivation, energy levels and what you do in the rest of your life. I gave up and went back to part time studying as I was working 4 casual jobs and got fed up with never having enough money for anything. So it’s really down to personal choice.
hi, im currently an alevel student, retook them and i have been struggling a lot and i know open uni for some subjects needs no grade requirements. Is open uni a good uni in terms of ranking and reputation and could you tell me a bit more about the uni and the way it works, please
Hi,

The short answer: it depends what you want out of your degree.

I am studying with the OU at the minute, and what I have always said to anyone who has asked similar questions, is that it is good to have a goal for the future in mind when you're choosing what to study, and do your research beforehand. For example, say the end goal is to become a physiotherapist. I would look at conventional universities offering a physio degree, look at their entry requirements/contact them, and then choose/tailor my OU degree to meet those requirements. The OU do offer some degrees that act as primary qualifications, such as law, which can be used in the same way as a law degree from a conventional university. However, many other degrees offered by the OU are often useful in the context of applying for further study, or just learning for the joy of learning. For example, say you want to become a scientist working within the NHS or similar. You can't just pick a selection of biology and chemistry modules, graduate with a BSc Combined STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) and then go off to work. You could however, use your first degree with the OU (or a selection of modules from the degree in-lieu of A-Levels) to then go on to apply to study Biomedical Science at another university (tread carefully though, if you already have a degree [even if it was self funded] it can effect your funding prospects in the future if going on to study at traditional unis). I know I'm rambling a bit here and I'm not being very concise, but do you understand what I mean? I suppose the problem is that many of the science courses in particular require a large proportion of hands on practical work, and what the OU could offer in terms of hands on experience would not be comparable to the same degree offered at a traditional uni. I don't imagine you could study medicine via distance learning for example!

Not sure on university rankings, but I imagine you could find them with relative ease on Google.

I'd say its reputation is sound. It's no Oxbridge, but from my experience (albeit limited) I don't think it stands out as negative. Many people have had plenty of positive experiences and feedback from employers, particularly recognising the difficulty in working/having a family and obtaining a degree. Despite what some may say, either through ignorance or simply being unaware, a degree is a degree - whether studied at Cambridge, Leeds or the OU. One is not worth more than the other!

The method of study is different to conventional uni of course. Studying is done via distance learning, mainly delivered online but some modules also included printed text books. Some modules also have optional/compulsory residential schools, where you go and stay close to the campus or other venue for a week or two and attend that portion full time. Assessment is via what is termed an EMA (basically a final piece of course work consisting of various activities dependent on the subject) or exams as you would sit in school. There are also online tutorials (like mini lectures) every now and again, but they're optional.

In summary, I'd say studying with the OU just because there are no entry requirements could be a massive waste of your life. I'd sit down and think about what you really want to achieve from university (or life in general) and base your decision around that - sometimes you might not want or need a degree.

What is it you would like to study?

Ben

Original post by Student2177
hi, im currently an alevel student, retook them and i have been struggling a lot and i know open uni for some subjects needs no grade requirements. Is open uni a good uni in terms of ranking and reputation and could you tell me a bit more about the uni and the way it works, please
(edited 4 years ago)
i want to change my choice to business management because that is something that i am genuinely interested in
Original post by OUScienceStudent
Hi,

The short answer: it depends what you want out of your degree.

I am studying with the OU at the minute, and what I have always said to anyone who has asked similar questions, is that it is good to have a goal for the future in mind when you're choosing what to study, and do your research beforehand. For example, say the end goal is to become a physiotherapist. I would look at conventional universities offering a physio degree, look at their entry requirements/contact them, and then choose/tailor my OU degree to meet those requirements. The OU do offer some degrees that act as primary qualifications, such as law, which can be used in the same way as a law degree from a conventional university. However, many other degrees offered by the OU are often useful in the context of applying for further study, or just learning for the joy of learning. For example, say you want to become a scientist working within the NHS or similar. You can't just pick a selection of biology and chemistry modules, graduate with a BSc Combined STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) and then go off to work. You could however, use your first degree with the OU (or a selection of modules from the degree in-lieu of A-Levels) to then go on to apply to study Biomedical Science at another university (tread carefully though, if you already have a degree [even if it was self funded] it can effect your funding prospects in the future if going on to study at traditional unis). I know I'm rambling a bit here and I'm not being very concise, but do you understand what I mean? I suppose the problem is that many of the science courses in particular require a large proportion of hands on practical work, and what the OU could offer in terms of hands on experience would not be comparable to the same degree offered at a traditional uni. I don't imagine you could study medicine via distance learning for example!

Not sure on university rankings, but I imagine you could find them with relative ease on Google.

I'd say its reputation is sound. It's no Oxbridge, but from my experience (albeit limited) I don't think it stands out as negative. Many people have had plenty of positive experiences and feedback from employers, particularly recognising the difficulty in working/having a family and obtaining a degree. Despite what some may say, either through ignorance or simply being unaware, a degree is a degree - whether studied at Cambridge, Leeds or the OU. One is not worth more than the other!

The method of study is different to conventional uni of course. Studying is done via distance learning, mainly delivered online but some modules also included printed text books. Some modules also have optional/compulsory residential schools, where you go and stay close to the campus or other venue for a week or two and attend that portion full time. Assessment is via what is termed an EMA (basically a final piece of course work consisting of various activities dependent on the subject) or exams as you would sit in school. There are also online tutorials (like mini lectures) every now and again, but they're optional.

In summary, I'd say studying with the OU just because there are no entry requirements could be a massive waste of your life. I'd sit down and think about what you really want to achieve from university (or life in general) and base your decision around that - sometimes you might not want or need a degree.

What is it you would like to study?

Ben
I am looking to study forensic psychology at the open uni part time for the first year, would it then be possible to transfer to a brick uni? Has anyone done this, if so how complicated is the process?
is it less stressful ?
Whether or not the OU is less stressful depends on what you find stressful. I'd say the deciding factor of whether or not it's right for someone stress-wise, is if you're more stressed out by social interaction, or having to motivate yourself in a vacuum. The workload (particularly in later stages) can be substantial, so doesn't seem it woud cause much different stress to the workload of a conventional university.

In general, my personal stresses typically come from social anxieties, so the OU has worked well for me. However, revising for exams right now combined with stress that always seems to come around the end of May at work has caused two solid weeks of tension headaches that won't be gone for at least another week, when I'll have exams out of the way. But revising for exams would happen anyway.
are there any courses that are just coursework/ assignments?
Original post by JollyCynic
Whether or not the OU is less stressful depends on what you find stressful. I'd say the deciding factor of whether or not it's right for someone stress-wise, is if you're more stressed out by social interaction, or having to motivate yourself in a vacuum. The workload (particularly in later stages) can be substantial, so doesn't seem it woud cause much different stress to the workload of a conventional university.

In general, my personal stresses typically come from social anxieties, so the OU has worked well for me. However, revising for exams right now combined with stress that always seems to come around the end of May at work has caused two solid weeks of tension headaches that won't be gone for at least another week, when I'll have exams out of the way. But revising for exams would happen anyway.

I assume that means is it possible to get a degree without taking an exam? If I look at the OU's Q91 course, Business and Management, it looks like this:

Stage 1 required:

B100 - no exam

Stage 1 options, either:

U101 - no exam

Or two of the following:

BXM191 - no exam (but part of the FutureLearn MOOC degree)

LB170 - no exam

MU123 - no exam

B124 - exam

M140 - no exam

B123 - no exam

DB125 - no exam

Stage 2 required:

B207 - no exam

Stage 2 options, either one of the following:

B208 - no exam

B205 - exam

DD209 - exam

B206 - no exam

Or two of the following:

B293 - exam

B294 - no exam

B292 - exam

Stage 3 required:

B302 - no exam

Stage 3 options, either:

DD309 - no exam

Or two of the following:

B392 - exam

B327 - no exam

B329 - no exam

B628 (and the online-only BZX628) - no exam

B629 (and the online-only BZX629) - no exam

B324 - exam

So there are lots of options to get all the way through the Q91 without an exam.

If you want to look up those individual modules, you can either look here, or just request a prospectus ... Which is just a link to a PDF, so I don't know why they don't just publish the link, but I'm sure their marketing manager was quite insistent on it.

The only way to avoid exams would be to do an open degree and choose only modules with no exams. However, sometimes exams are partly seen so you know what to expect and what to revise which is helpful. You may have only one or two exams in some degrees. I hate exams but I'm willing to try my best at it next year.
is it less stressful ?

I think all degrees are stressful at some points, no matter what or where you study. The only difference being, many OU students have jobs and families to balance at the same time which can be an added stressor. It's as stressful as you make it I guess.
Hi, I studied a foundation diploma in natural sciences, then did a year at a normal uni in biological but realised I prefer the environmental side much more so looking to finish my final two years on OU whilst working at EA. How difficult is fulltime because I was considering doing my second year part time for two years then finishing the third year? Also has anyone else transferred from a normal uni and what has your experience been so far in comparison?
Are the tutorials mandatary? Any details on them would be great, what are they like etc?
Original post by Anonymous
Are the tutorials mandatary? Any details on them would be great, what are they like etc?

There are two types of tutorials: Online and face-to-face. Face-to-face tutorials have a further subcategory of day schools, which are basically much longer tutorials. Akin to day schools are residentials, which are basically manditory day schools. I haven't visited any face-to-face tutorials, but will attend my first residential this next year.

Online tutorials mostly take the shape of an online shared-presentation conference. A tutor typically flips through some slides and reads them for students, asks a few questions, and digs deeper into any questions the students may have. The key to getting the most out of a tutorial is to speak up, preferably with a headset. Most are too shy to talk in the tutorial, so type their questions and answers. This takes longer, it's more difficult to express exactly what you mean, and most importantly it feels less like a group discussion and more like ... well, somebody reading a PowerPoint. One or two students talking can make the tutorial much more useful for everyone.

They typically last between one and two hours (but not exclusively). One important reason to attend them is because they often work through examples of items similar to what's explored in assessments. You're likely to get much better marks if you do.

Tutorials are voluntary (those which aren't would likely be marked as residentials, but the possibility exists of there being a mandatory tutorial on some module or other). If you've got a bad tutor, they can be awful. I had a tutor who spent much of the time talking to family members with their hand over the microphone, or letting the dog in and out, and was overall quite distracted from reading the slides verbatim. But even then, I picked loads of good information for the TMA. If you've got a good tutor, you really feel like you're being tutored, facilitating tremendous learning. And good or bad, the more you participate, the better they are.
Original post by -Eirlys-
Hey everyone! I started my OU journey last year and I'm fast approaching the end of year one. If you have any questions for an OU student, ask away! :h:

My blog & my GYG blog

Thanks for sharing. I am starting the LLB Honours through OU. Just wondered if you have enjoyed your first year? Any advice or tips? Did you find it isolating? Could you engage with the other students? Was your personal tutor/lecturers approachable and supportive?
Hello just wondering if you need to log your study hours or if it is up to yourself to keep track of your study time?
Hi, I’ve enrolled into the BA Hons Business Management course after passing my a levels.Does anyone have any assignment (TMA/EMA) writing tips? That’s what I’m most nervous about!
Original post by Rosie1111100567
Hi, I’ve enrolled into the BA Hons Business Management course after passing my a levels.Does anyone have any assignment (TMA/EMA) writing tips? That’s what I’m most nervous about!

Hi I've enrolled on the same course! Just received my first lot of books through today and looking over them has made it a lot less daunting. If you look at my other post you can see a sample TMA question.

Quick Reply

Latest