The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University BSc (Hons) Psychology.

I'm considering doing the Psychology degree that OU offers part-time. I would love to hear other's experiences of this degree? Did you think it was well set out, enough support etc.

I have a background in counselling and social science.
Original post by student9528
I'm considering doing the Psychology degree that OU offers part-time. I would love to hear other's experiences of this degree? Did you think it was well set out, enough support etc.

Hiya,
I am just moving onto my second year with the OU, I am doing Forensic Psych BSc. I thoroughly enjoyed my first year. I found my tutor to be really helpful. The work load isn't too much with good time management. I found the student forums to be really helpful too. The module website is really easy to use and navigate. I would definitely recommend studying with the OU.

I'm looking forward to starting my year 2 in Oct.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Marina x
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2

Hi!

I did their BSc Psychology with Counselling several years ago and loved it! Support depends on who you get as a tutor, mostly, but I found all of mine to be great and very supportive. I came out with a first, and have since done a postgraduate qualification at Manchester Met and will be applying for doctorates at the end of this year!

I'm going into my last module in October. For the most part, I am pleased with the course. You learn a lot of interesting things, usually it's at a good pace and you get a varying but usually decent to good support from tutors. Though at this level, I don't expect much hand holding. You do get your hand held at the beginning but that gradually reduces as you develop your skills. I definitely feel like I've grown into a more well rounded student where I've built on a bunch of skills and have been well challenged throughout. :smile: The first module is like marmite, you either love it or hate it, but I found level 2 and 3 modules much more interesting. Think of DD102 as a trainer module, getting all students up to speed and working to the same level. It irons out any kinks. :P
Original post by Nerol
Hi!

I did their BSc Psychology with Counselling several years ago and loved it! Support depends on who you get as a tutor, mostly, but I found all of mine to be great and very supportive. I came out with a first, and have since done a postgraduate qualification at Manchester Met and will be applying for doctorates at the end of this year!

Congrats on the first! What are you hoping to do career wise? How have employers or educational establishments reacted to your OU degree? Did you study part time?
Reply 5
Original post by Nerol
Hi!

Well done lovely! It's good to hear you have had such a great experience. Do you have any tips?
Reply 6
Original post by -Eirlys-
Congrats on the first! What are you hoping to do career wise? How have employers or educational establishments reacted to your OU degree? Did you study part time?

I'm wanting to go into Counselling Psychology. I have not noticed any discrimination due to having a degree from the OU at all. I was actually offered an interview for a doctorate the year after I finished and had no problem getting on to the postgrad program at MMU.

I studied part-time, yes. Mostly while I was living and working in China, which was why I went with the OU in the first place. It worked really well.
Well done lovely! It's good to hear you have had such a great experience. Do you have any tips?

I guess my main tip would be to get organised. Look ahead at assignments and make relevant notes as you go - this will save you loads of time when it comes to TMAs / EMA.

Other than that, make use of the forums if you need help/advice, attend face-to-face tutorials as much as you can and don't be afraid to contact your tutors for help if you need it.
Original post by Nerol
Hi!

Hey, I am doing this course this October, I will be getting my reading list shortly. In the meantime, is there anything that you would suggest reading before going into it? Thanks!!
Reply 8
Original post by Shania112
Hey, I am doing this course this October, I will be getting my reading list shortly. In the meantime, is there anything that you would suggest reading before going into it? Thanks!!

Hi!

There isn't a required reading list besides the OU material, however, it could be helpful to look at some of the OU's free courses here: https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue to get a taste of what their online materials are like. There are some psychology and mental health topics there to look at. The level 1 modules start with the basics, so they are a great introduction to the course.
Original post by Nerol
Hi!

There isn't a required reading list besides the OU material, however, it could be helpful to look at some of the OU's free courses here: https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue to get a taste of what their online materials are like. There are some psychology and mental health topics there to look at. The level 1 modules start with the basics, so they are a great introduction to the course.

That is such a good idea, thank you so much!
I started my OU Psychology degree in October 2020 with DD102 ‘Introducing the Social Sciences’, which I really liked. The study material and support from tutors was excellent.

I’m pleased with the result I got two days ago, so something must be clicking.

I hope to (providing my grades support it) go on to postgraduate study…in what, I’ve not decided yet.

My motives for doing it aren’t primarily professional, I always regretted never studying it at uni first time around… and it’s better late than never!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Shania112
Hello,
I will start Psychology with Counseling at OU in Sep24.
Could you please share with me the recommended reading list?
It will be very helpful to have a look prior to starting the course.
Many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest