The Student Room Group

Haaland - overrated?

I think he is in the right era, let's put it that way, because in terms of quality I really don't see him as good as the past great strikers.

Scroll to see replies

Well football changes continuously, as do tactics, defending, build-up, and most important, players - what was seen as incredible years ago would most likely not work in today's football dimension. And what has now adapted to come out of the 'ordinary' is doing so despite that all aspects of football have improved considerably since the 'old days' - 80s, 90s, 2000s. Haaland or Mbappe or Benzema doing outstandingly excellent is them doing so despite already top-notch defending, top-notch tactics, top-notch availability of statistics on players and computer-aided strategy making, top-notch player selection, health, preparation, diet and training, etc.

So given that the gap between - say - an outstandingly good Maradona, or Hagi in times where their opponents did not really stand much chance - and an outstandingly good Haaland where their opponents benefit from the best conditions the world has to offer, is now closing, you can see why Haaland's incredible things (accounting for his injury periods) do not mean the era is to blame because he is seen as good, but rather it is exactly the era that makes him good - because it is this era that determines everyone in the higher football leagues and competitions to be very good given all the conditions and facilities and training and selections and knowledge possibilities everyone has in the top-notch football teams.

It is a common argument that the greatest of past strikers would be average or slightly above-average at best in today's football world. So you cannot really compare great past players in the context of today's football, as today's footballers are a lot more different than those in the past - it may seem like nothing out of the ordinary, but that is because everyone in upper leagues reached that standard of excellency and close-to-perfection that only ever 2 or 3 teams per decade used to reach 20-30-40 years ago.

Thus to be able to achieve what Haaland does in today's football world is by no means less of what great past strikers have achieved in their times - but it is certainly (at least) an amazing proportional achievement considering how and what football looks like now. To be able to stand out when billions are used for everyone to be perfect is truly remarkable.
(edited 1 year ago)
If he is not injured - and that happened frequently in the last two seasons - Haaland is one of the world's best striker and not overrated at all. His injuries are a big risk nonetheless.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Tom.Ford
I think he is in the right era, let's put it that way, because in terms of quality I really don't see him as good as the past great strikers.

Injury prone a Darwin Nunez or Christopher Nkunku is a steal at that price.
Let's see what Haaland can do in a team with high ambitions. City can be his breakthrough or the end of a successful career.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Let's see what Haaland can do in a team with high ambitions. City can be his breakthrough or the end of a successful career.

Should have went to Real Madrid before coming to Manchester United in his prime years.

Isn't "the end" a bit extreme? He's 21 and if he turns out to be a flop (I hope not) in the Premier League then he could make a move back to the Bundesliga...
Original post by sufys
Isn't "the end" a bit extreme? He's 21 and if he turns out to be a flop (I hope not) in the Premier League then he could make a move back to the Bundesliga...

Next move La Liga has a release clause of £150,000,000.
Original post by sufys
Isn't "the end" a bit extreme? (...)

Nope. Man City is the first top team in which Haaland played. If he doesn't get his own way there, he doesn't become a great and succesful player like Salah or De Bruyne for instance are and ends up as average player. He is always at risk to get injured. Delicate transfer.
(edited 1 year ago)
Nope. Man City is the first top team in which Haaland played. If he doesn't get his own way there, he doesn't become a great and succesful player like Salah or De Bruyne for instance are and ends up as average player. He is always at risk to get injured. Delicate transfer.

Premier League is no Bundesliga though. Full of High Intensity.
His style is literally the same as Vincenzo Iaquinta, but he's more prolific. Bundesliga is overrated so we'll judge him in the Prem. Does ghost on occassion, we can't forget that.
I’ve never actually seen Haaland play before live during a game, you know difficult to watch the European games and all of that

He isn’t overrated, he has a great goal scoring record.

Seeing Haaland play in the League will be just as intriguing as Ronaldo returning last year. This guy Haaland attracts fans from all over the world who want to see him play. Box office stuff.

He’s the type of guy who would mentally destroy anyone, including parents who spend their time laughing when they haven’t let their children have an ounce of independence or freedom for their entire life…

There will be high expectations on him, but I expect the partnership between him and De Bruyne to be lethal.

Original post by Mohammed_80
Injury prone a Darwin Nunez or Christopher Nkunku is a steal at that price.

Liverpool and Arsenal linked with both of these players

Original post by zuluwarrior7650
His style is literally the same as Vincenzo Iaquinta, but he's more prolific. Bundesliga is overrated so we'll judge him in the Prem. Does ghost on occassion, we can't forget that.

I like his running style. Look at all the world class players in the League at all these different teams. I have never seen anything like it, what a time to be a viewer of the Premier League
Haaland seems to have all the attributes but also that ridiculous clinical goal scoring streak. His numbers in leagues at such a young age are super impressive but can't ignore that he's also put up great numbers in the CL. Will go on to become an elite player. It might not be at his first season at Man City but easily over the next 3-5 years.
Reply 13
We have seen players come from Germany before and flop in the PL, but if Haaland goes to city and continues it I think he will be very good and not underrated or overrated.
Nah hes going to the top
Reply 15
I feel like he’s going to be similar to players like R9 in the sense that he will probably peak a lot earlier and then injuries will stop him from being at the top for that long, will be interesting to see how he does in the prem tho, considering players like sancho haven’t adjusted well from the Bundesliga
Original post by TomR4
I feel like he’s going to be similar to players like R9 in the sense that he will probably peak a lot earlier and then injuries will stop him from being at the top for that long, will be interesting to see how he does in the prem tho, considering players like sancho haven’t adjusted well from the Bundesliga

Sancho has just been man managed poorly by two managers who didn’t know how to play him. With Erik Ten Hag he’ll dominate the flanks. Plus Manchester United have been lacking an aggressive attack minded full back Luke Shaw is on his day however Diogo Dalot, Aaron Wan Bissaka and Alex Telles ain’t hence they pursuing a deal for Jurrien Timber.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Tom.Ford

i think its quite difficult to say if he is overrated at the moment i think in a few years when hes played at another team and in a different league as well as aiming to win the champions league will show if he is the level many expect from him.
Reply 18
we all know how it works in the bundesliga most overated league lets see how well he does in the prem if anyone can make him reach his full abilities its pep i think mbappe is better but he is playing with the farmers so Halland could be better if mbappe does not leave psg
Reply 19
So many posts in this thread aged well :teeth:

Quick Reply

Latest