The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
A bunch of guys at uni called me (screaming actually but nvm) an oompa loompa and quite posters online think 5'8'' is actually short for a guy and most girls want someone who is at least 5'10''-5'11''+

i think that was a really mean comment from those guys. 5'8" is short for a guy for me personally but i'd think you'd find many girls who would be absolutely fine with that height so don't worry x
I’m 5’7 and 5’8-6’2 is perfect for me
I am a 5ft 7 girl. There is nothing wrong with a man being 5ft 8. Loads of guys are 5ft 8 Have confidence, dress nice, be a nice guy. Someone will like you for these things before height. So go and find a really hot girl to who likes nice men and not men who try and put others down. They are probably jealous of something, someone always is. Do they have girlfriends?
isn’t 5’8 the average height?? tbh i consider it a red flag when a guy obsesses over height (whether they themselves are tall or short) as they tend to be superficial. those guys are just insecure haters, you’re not even statistically short :confused:
It depends on the specific girl.
Some girls have height based dealbreakers, others don't.
Most of the girls who date guys seem to prefer to date a guy taller than them and many won't consider dating anyone shorter than they are.
My minimum height dealbreaker is 5'4.
Original post by alberw21
i think that was a really mean comment from those guys. 5'8" is short for a guy for me personally but i'd think you'd find many girls who would be absolutely fine with that height so don't worry x

Thank you it's okay not to find my height enough to be attracted to me, it's not really something one controls, neither their height nor whether people are attracted to it.
I am a 5ft 7 girl. There is nothing wrong with a man being 5ft 8. Loads of guys are 5ft 8 Have confidence, dress nice, be a nice guy. Someone will like you for these things before height. So go and find a really hot girl to who likes nice men and not men who try and put others down. They are probably jealous of something, someone always is. Do they have girlfriends?

I don't know. They were in a bus, typical uni students shouting. It was right outside uni too so it was very embarrassing.
isn’t 5’8 the average height?? tbh i consider it a red flag when a guy obsesses over height (whether they themselves are tall or short) as they tend to be superficial. those guys are just insecure haters, you’re not even statistically short :confused:

BELIEVE ME, I never thought of myslef as an "Oompa Loompa", I didn't really think I was comically short or something. But then I went online and started reading stuff so it hit me that maybe I've been in denial or something and that's why girls might not like me. But before this incident and before reading stuff about online dating and so forth, I hadn't really thought a lot about my height...
5'8 is average imo i have lots of girl friends (myself included) are completely fine with that and don't really want guys that are over 6'0 lmaoo
Original post by AF2Dr
I think it would put off some women, yes. However, there would still be a reasonable amount of women who would be OK with dating someone that height. So I don't think you should worry too much about this. Those boys sound pretty rude!

Yes I've noticed these past few days that many girls search for "tall" guys so I know I'm not gonna be anyone's first pick. I didn't like those people at all either.
5'8 is average imo i have lots of girl friends (myself included) are completely fine with that and don't really want guys that are over 6'0 lmaoo

It's kinda average among men but that doesn't change much? The question was whether it's offputting/unattractive to girls too regardless of whether it's a common height (it probably is, most people I meet are neither massively taller nor massively shorter so I must be somewhere in the middle).
aww I'm really sorry you had to experience that, trust me you're perfect! my boyfriend is 5"7 and I love him, I've never considered his height to be an issue even during talking stages so height is definitely not an issue for everyone. I think you'll find a lot of girls are interested in you especially if you treat them well, you just need to be confident in yourself and who you are as a person.
A bunch of guys at uni called me (screaming actually but nvm) an oompa loompa and quite posters online think 5'8'' is actually short for a guy and most girls want someone who is at least 5'10''-5'11''+

Hi there
it is what it is op.
the vast majority of women want a partner taller than them. A lot of women do not want nothing to do with a man under 6. A tiny minority do not care about height.
women have the right to have standards; same for men.
it is not shallow if a woman only want a man taller than 6, the same if it is not shallow if a man only wants a woman with big boobs and big bum.

The solution for a man is to find a woman from the tiny minority who does not care about height.
do not take it personally op.
Your height is okay. Never mind the women (or people) who put you down
I judge so much more than height what if a guy is 5ft 7 but Hellishly good looking and treats me like a princess oh and also has a cat and likes shopping
I judge so much more than height what if a guy is 5ft 7 but Hellishly good looking and treats me like a princess oh and also has a cat and likes shopping

Not flirting or anything but you sound absolutely adorable.
Not flirting or anything but you sound absolutely adorable

Please flirt away I act like a nursery aged child most of the same so not a lot of flirting comes my way
Not flirting or anything but you sound absolutely adorable.

Please flirt away I act like a nursery aged child most of the same so not a lot of flirting comes my way

Now if only the two of you weren't both anonymous, this could be the start of the Romance of the Century (well on TSR anyway lol)

Mills & Boon, eat your heart out :lovie2:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Now if only the two of you weren't both anonymous, this could be the start of the Romance of the Century (well on TSR anyway lol)

Mills & Boon, eat your heart out :lovie2:

Well that totally depends on his favourite Disney film and whether he likes olives.
Original post by Ackhnologia
Hi there
it is what it is op.
the vast majority of women want a partner taller than them. A lot of women do not want nothing to do with a man under 6. A tiny minority do not care about height.
women have the right to have standards; same for men.
it is not shallow if a woman only w a man taller than 6, the same if it is not shallow if a man only wants a woman with big boobs and big bum.

The solution for a man is to find a woman from the tiny minority who does not care about height.
do not take it personally op.
Your height is okay. Never mind the women (or people) who put you down

In my opinion, it seems superficial for a woman who is under 5ft 7in to limit her dating preferences solely to men who are 6ft or taller, particularly if they lack other desirable qualities. I'm 6ft 2 and I wouldn't date anyone shorter than 5ft 5; mainly because of practical considerations. I don’t see why women below 5ft 6 would want a boyfriend taller/the same height as me.

Latest

Trending

Trending