The Student Room Group
Student visits the library, University Campus Suffolk
University of Suffolk
Ipswich
Visit website

Starting uni as a mature student

Hi everyone,

Starting uni is a big step, no matter what age you are when you start.

I was 26 when I began my undergraduate degree, so was a mature student. I was a bit worried about not fitting in and I'd convinced myself I would be the oldest student there!

When I got to my first lecture there were lots of students who were my age, and lots of students who were older than me too, so there wasn't really anything to worry about :smile:

We were all in the same situation so could support each other if we were struggling, and it was great to mix with people of all ages as we all brought something unique to the table.

If you're worried about being a mature student when you start uni, I'd say try not to overthink it (and that's coming from an overthinker!) and just enjoy it :smile:

If you've got any questions or worries about starting uni as a mature student, get in touch!

Amy

University of Suffolk official rep
Reply 1
Hey Amy , I am a bit more over 26 now , however I dropped out from UCS in 2016 due to some personal difficulties and, due to me being European not being able to provide in time all required documents to Student Finance I was left with one installment of the tuition fee which was not paid . Maybe contacting the admin team they could provide some insight if I could re-apply for a course.
Also would you be able to know if you would be eligible for all loans and grants if I am in full time employment ?

Have a nice day!!!

Adrian
Student visits the library, University Campus Suffolk
University of Suffolk
Ipswich
Visit website
Original post by AdrianVs89
Hey Amy , I am a bit more over 26 now , however I dropped out from UCS in 2016 due to some personal difficulties and, due to me being European not being able to provide in time all required documents to Student Finance I was left with one installment of the tuition fee which was not paid . Maybe contacting the admin team they could provide some insight if I could re-apply for a course.
Also would you be able to know if you would be eligible for all loans and grants if I am in full time employment ?

Have a nice day!!!

Adrian

Hi @AdrianVs89,

You're right, contacting the admin team would be best as they'll be able to give the most accurate info and guidance about reapplying. They'll be able to help with your question about loan/grants and employment too :smile:
They're contacts are on here: https://www.uos.ac.uk/content/admissions-department, and this page gives lots of info about being a student from the EU https://www.uos.ac.uk/international-and-eu

Hope you have a lovely day too :smile:

Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending