The Student Room Group

Graduate scheme in auditing firm in the UK, application

Hello there! I am an international student who is willing to do whatever it takes to get a successful application in Graduate scheme in one of the top ten firm in the UK auditing firm.

I had an experience in my home country in the field, but only have been having about 8 months of experience in the U.K in one of the local accounting firm.

I have done some research on the best way to prepare for the Grad scheme application, and one of the trick is to get an internship in one of those firms since it might be able to get you a better chance, especially, with someone like me who doesn't have an outstanding academic records, 2.2 in BSc management and on route to potentially get 2.2 for MSc accounting and finance in the end of 2024. I did apply for summer internship at Mazar, but got rejected in the first stage and I just would like to ask who those that have experience on how to secure a summer internship in such firms and what is the best way for me to get closer to Grad scheme which I am planning to apply for in Sep25 intake.

Any recommendations or tip and tricks will be highly appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How many others have you applied for? At which stage were you rejected by Mazars? Was this after tests or on initial CV review?

Also - as you are about to complete a masters degree (one year?) why are you not applying for grad schemes?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by ajj2000
How many others have you applied for? At which stage were you rejected by Mazars? Was this after tests or on initial CV review?

Also - as you are about to complete a masters degree (one year?) why are you not applying for grad schemes?
Hi, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.

I have not applied for other as I was not as confident back then. I got rejected right after I have taken the online aptitude assessment, so I wasn't sure why I failed as Mazar didn't allow for suggestion at this stage of the application. I will be completing my placement year by the end of 2024, but I applied the summer internship programmed because from my research, I understand that this particular program serves as a fast track program to the actual graduate scheme, therefore, I thought it is a good idea to start early. Now, I am looking to apply for January 2025 graduate scheme, and have been wondering what I could do to prepare for the application process, I.E any extracurricular activities?
Reply 3
Original post by Hello1234!!!
Hi, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.

I have not applied for other as I was not as confident back then. I got rejected right after I have taken the online aptitude assessment, so I wasn't sure why I failed as Mazar didn't allow for suggestion at this stage of the application. I will be completing my placement year by the end of 2024, but I applied the summer internship programmed because from my research, I understand that this particular program serves as a fast track program to the actual graduate scheme, therefore, I thought it is a good idea to start early. Now, I am looking to apply for January 2025 graduate scheme, and have been wondering what I could do to prepare for the application process, I.E any extracurricular activities?
Hi

I'm a little confused about your current situation. Could you expand a bit please? Are you currently a masters degree student and as part of the masters degree undertaking a placement year? What are you doing for your placement year? Which type of employer?

When you say 'looking to apply for Jan 2025 graduate scheme' do you mean you have applied, or are thinking about submitting applications?

Which part of the UK are you in and which office locations would you intend to apply to?
Original post by ajj2000
Hi

I'm a little confused about your current situation. Could you expand a bit please? Are you currently a masters degree student and as part of the masters degree undertaking a placement year? What are you doing for your placement year? Which type of employer?

When you say 'looking to apply for Jan 2025 graduate scheme' do you mean you have applied, or are thinking about submitting applications?

Which part of the UK are you in and which office locations would you intend to apply to?
Hi!

Okay, sorry for the confusion.

So, At the moment I am in my placement year for my Msc Accounting and Finance, which is in a local accounting firm. However, because I have had experience in auditing field for merely 5 years back at home, it is my dream have an auditing career, especially in the U.K. Because I will graduate around January, I'm aiming to apply for the earliest graduate scheme which should be in January 2025. I really do hope that my 5-6 years experience in auditing in my home country and two years, although in local accounting firm here in the U.K, would be helpful for my application in auditing firm. If it is not deemed to be sufficient. What sort of things do you think I should do to prepare for the application?
Reply 5
Hi!

Okay, sorry for the confusion.

So, At the moment I am in my placement year for my Msc Accounting and Finance, which is in a local accounting firm. However, because I have had experience in auditing field for merely 5 years back at home, it is my dream have an auditing career, especially in the U.K. Because I will graduate around January, I'm aiming to apply for the earliest graduate scheme which should be in January 2025. I really do hope that my 5-6 years experience in auditing in my home country and two years, although in local accounting firm here in the U.K, would be helpful for my application in auditing firm. If it is not deemed to be sufficient. What sort of things do you think I should do to prepare for the application?
What size of firm did you work for in your home country when you did audits?
Did you do any professional qualifications?
Any valuable language skills?

Would applying as an experienced hire be feasible?
Original post by ajj2000
What size of firm did you work for in your home country when you did audits?
Did you do any professional qualifications?
Any valuable language skills?

Would applying as an experienced hire be feasible?
That's the bit is quite tricky for me. Because I had been an audit manager in a local firm back at home, however, I had about 10-month of an experience as audit associate II which is like a step up senior auditor, but because I got offered to come to the U.K my career in one of the big four firm has been cut short. I am planning on doing ACCA after I graduate, but no I haven't any professional qualification yet, although I am a part-qualified LCPAA but it is a local qualification which is not accredited by U.K body. For valuable language, I am not too sure what do you mean. But I can communicate fluently in three languages, Laotian, English and Thai which I assume might not be as valuable aside from English as I am in the U.K!
Reply 7
That's the bit is quite tricky for me. Because I had been an audit manager in a local firm back at home, however, I had about 10-month of an experience as audit associate II which is like a step up senior auditor, but because I got offered to come to the U.K my career in one of the big four firm has been cut short. I am planning on doing ACCA after I graduate, but no I haven't any professional qualification yet, although I am a part-qualified LCPAA but it is a local qualification which is not accredited by U.K body. For valuable language, I am not too sure what do you mean. But I can communicate fluently in three languages, Laotian, English and Thai which I assume might not be as valuable aside from English as I am in the U.K!
ok - so there are two possible routes open.

graduate entry

some pq type experienced hire

It would be worth checking the feasibility of both of them - if you get to interviews for a grad scheme someone will ask you why you went that route so you probably need a decent, considered answer.

Just considering a few things. You noted that you had applied to one large accounting firm (and only one) and fell out of the process following the aptitude tests. Is that about right?

Also - before taking the BSc management (was this in the UK?) did you get high school qualifications based on standardised tests - basically an equivalent of GCSEs and A levels?
Original post by ajj2000
ok - so there are two possible routes open.

graduate entry

some pq type experienced hire

It would be worth checking the feasibility of both of them - if you get to interviews for a grad scheme someone will ask you why you went that route so you probably need a decent, considered answer.

Just considering a few things. You noted that you had applied to one large accounting firm (and only one) and fell out of the process following the aptitude tests. Is that about right?

Also - before taking the BSc management (was this in the UK?) did you get high school qualifications based on standardised tests - basically an equivalent of GCSEs and A levels?

Yes I only have applied for Mazar summer internship. And no I dont have any standardised test in maths, although I have taken SAT once and got 600/800 which might not be what you are asking for. And for English, I only took IELTS which I got 7.5/9. If you were to put one the same shoes, what would you do?
Reply 9
Yes I only have applied for Mazar summer internship. And no I dont have any standardised test in maths, although I have taken SAT once and got 600/800 which might not be what you are asking for. And for English, I only took IELTS which I got 7.5/9. If you were to put one the same shoes, what would you do?
I really want to be specific on this. When you were in high school (in Thailand) did you sit any exams - such as national tests?

For SAT did you sit the full SAT or just the maths section?
Original post by ajj2000
I really want to be specific on this. When you were in high school (in Thailand) did you sit any exams - such as national tests?

For SAT did you sit the full SAT or just the maths section?

Yes I have sat full SAT with 460 in English and 600 in maths which is relatively low score. I dont have any standardised test in Laos, where I am from, as our educational system is different and probably not accredited here.

But in my last year of high school i scored around 9/10 in maths and 10/10 in English.
Hi

I have quite a few thoughts here - and would need time to be careful to be comprehensive in a response. Appreciate that you might need to be moving a bit more quickly than for me to return next week.

An immediate observation (and please correct me if I am missing or unaware of something) is that you got stuck in the Mazars application on the aptitude tests. I think you should contact your universities careers centre and look online to get some advice and practise for such tests. They tend to be somewhat similar between different firms.

Secondly - you should compile a list of firms you are interested in on a spreadsheet with a link to their websites. Keep notes - do they sponsor visas if you need one? Are their applications open yet for Jan 25 start dates? This list should end up with at least 20 firms you can apply to.

Also - assuming you need a visa - check online to see where other visa requiring candidates are getting jobs.
Original post by ajj2000
Hi

I have quite a few thoughts here - and would need time to be careful to be comprehensive in a response. Appreciate that you might need to be moving a bit more quickly than for me to return next week.

An immediate observation (and please correct me if I am missing or unaware of something) is that you got stuck in the Mazars application on the aptitude tests. I think you should contact your universities careers centre and look online to get some advice and practise for such tests. They tend to be somewhat similar between different firms.

Secondly - you should compile a list of firms you are interested in on a spreadsheet with a link to their websites. Keep notes - do they sponsor visas if you need one? Are their applications open yet for Jan 25 start dates? This list should end up with at least 20 firms you can apply to.

Also - assuming you need a visa - check online to see where other visa requiring candidates are getting jobs.

I see. And it is likely that the best route for me must be the graduate scheme, right?
I see. And it is likely that the best route for me must be the graduate scheme, right?
I don't know. I think it will vary by firm.

Some might not consider you for graduate schemes due to your level of experience - but would consider you for experienced hire roles.

Other would be happy to consider you for either route.
So based on your judgement, should I disclose my 2:2 in BSc Global Business Management, or should I just disclose the most recent one which is expected to be MSc with merit?
So based on your judgement, should I disclose my 2:2 in BSc Global Business Management, or should I just disclose the most recent one which is expected to be MSc with merit?
I think you will have to disclose both during the process. Have you considered how to practice for aptitude tests? I think most firms will use them for whichever type of job you go for.
Original post by ajj2000
I think you will have to disclose both during the process. Have you considered how to practice for aptitude tests? I think most firms will use them for whichever type of job you go for.

Not yet and I have also heard of psychometric tests. Are they the same things?
Not yet and I have also heard of psychometric tests. Are they the same things?
basically yes. Some firms might include personality type testing. I'm not sure that there is much you can do to prepare for that.
Okay. Also, in terms of my CV, should I be involving some activities which could make my CV look better? Like some extra curricular or should I just go with what I have and only focus on practicing those test
Okay. Also, in terms of my CV, should I be involving some activities which could make my CV look better? Like some extra curricular or should I just go with what I have and only focus on practicing those test
There are a few ways to think about this. Given you have a few years of experience and are doing a year long placement some of the reasons 19 year olds from the UK might be encouraged towards activities may not be such strong reasons for you.

So - first thing first - any extra activities you do may not have any effect on the outcome at all, and may be of limited value even if of value. However - if you don't score well enough on aptitude tests you are out of the process - possibly before anyone has read your CV.

Does that make any sense? Perhaps we could chat through how some application processes work so the things you might consider?

By the way - is it easy to spot Laotian names in the same way it is for Thai ones? Appreciate I'm over-simplifying here and overlooking related languages in southern China.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending