The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University predicted grade!

Hello, I am having a slight (huge) panic! Ever since signing up to study a degree in Primary education with the Open University, life has thrown various curveballs and I think it's fair to say, I have struggled with my studies. Last year (end of year 2) I received a Grade 3 and Grade 4 result which I was devastated about. I am wondering if anyone can work out what I need to get in both modules this year (E309 and EK313) to be able to achieve a 2:1 - if this is even possible. They do have a pdf help sheet on how to predict grades, but even as a keen mathematician; I can't work it out! Any help would be much appreciated, thank you1
There's a good unofficial calculator spreadsheet ("New degree class calculator.xlsx")- if you're in any stage 3 whatsapp groups someone can probably send you it.

Stage 3 modules are weighted much more heavily than stage 2. To get a 2:1, it looks like you need to either get a grade 2 in both of them, or a distinction in one and a grade 3 in the other.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
There's a written version of the calculator spreadsheet here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=98747122&postcount=5
Original post by Mojo1981*
Hello, I am having a slight (huge) panic! Ever since signing up to study a degree in Primary education with the Open University, life has thrown various curveballs and I think it's fair to say, I have struggled with my studies. Last year (end of year 2) I received a Grade 3 and Grade 4 result which I was devastated about. I am wondering if anyone can work out what I need to get in both modules this year (E309 and EK313) to be able to achieve a 2:1 - if this is even possible. They do have a pdf help sheet on how to predict grades, but even as a keen mathematician; I can't work it out! Any help would be much appreciated, thank you1

Based on the info you've given here though, you'll need either one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 or two Grade 1's (85%+ on both modules)
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #2
Based on the info you've given here though, you'll need either one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 or two Grade 1's (85%+ on both modules)

Thank you so much for all the information.
I don't think I'm going to achieve that! I'm not really sure what my options are - I'm guessing re-sitting a degree isn't one?!
Original post by Mojo1981*
Thank you so much for all the information.
I don't think I'm going to achieve that! I'm not really sure what my options are - I'm guessing re-sitting a degree isn't one?!

You aren't able to get more student finance for your L2 modules unfortunately, meaning you'd have to pay out of your own pocket to retake those modules (L1 doesn't count so don't worry about those modules). I'd really recommend ringing SST first thing in the morning to discuss your situation.
Original post by Anonymous #2

I don't think that's right.

Assuming a grade 2 in each:
60x3 + 60x4 + 2x60x2 + 2x60x2 = 900
900 points is within the 2:1 limit, no need for the threshold check.

Assuming a distinction in one and a grade 3 in the other leads to the same 900 points.

@Mojo1981*

Quick Reply

Latest