The Student Room Group

Rank these for me please

Rank these Universities for me by prestige please
Bristol, Loughborough, Lancaster, Exeter, Birmingham, York, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham

Scroll to see replies

Original post by riker123
Bristol, Loughborough, Lancaster, Exeter, Birmingham, York, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham

These are all excellent universities, which regularly feature in the top 20 of the domestic rankings. There is little difference in so-called "prestige". What matters is that the course and location suits you. Study the details of the courses you are interested in and research the locations virtually - or better still, visit the ones most likely to end up as your first choice.
Nottingham no.1 thats it and thats not cus i go there..... but in all seriousness depends a lot on the subject and its a very subjective question and asnwer.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by username6661155

Hi @username6661155,
I'm in my 3rd year studying Geography at Lancaster. Its hard to rank the universities as they are all very different, and different people will want different things from their university experience, for instance some of these are campus and some are city uni's so will have a completely different feel to them. Its also important to look at your individual subject and see where these universities rank, the complete university guide is good for this, as you can see the different scored for things like graduate prospects and student satisfaction. Personally, i've really enjoyed my time at Lancaster, my course has been engaging and the university has a really community feel to it, due to it being slightly smaller than some other. If you have any questions about Lancaster, i'd be more than happy to help!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 4

Ok depends on the course. Sorry but a boss isnt going to go oooooh Bristol over York uni for example.
Its what the uni can offer you. Like Loughborough, fabulous for sports, sports psychology that kind of thing.

Daughter does particle physics. So in her case Lancaster is well up there and Manchester because they offer excellent phds and internships. Birmingham do but not as many phds in particle. Wheres astrophysics id have to say many of the above are good (maybe york at a touch because of the astrocampus).

Something like Law - Nottingham Bristol and Manchester.

Business and marketing and management - Lancasters business school I hear good reports about them all the time. As well as English, although Exeter is good for English too.

Aerospace engineering, Bristol. My cousin went there and he rates it as it gave him the oppotunities.

All the above is going on who ive spoken to and their own experiences as well as what I hear from TSR as well.
Reply 5

They are all the same. All will give you a degree in return for £28.5k and all will provide opportunities to meet new people and try new things.

The question you need to ask, is what do you want to do afterwards and which skills and knowledge do you need to achieve that? Then you can question which university is most likely to deliver those skills and knowledge you need.

But as for employers. No one cares where you went or the colour of your tie. Just what you can do and what you know.

Good luck!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6

They are unrankable. You are asking the wrong questions.

What do you want to do after university? What skills and knowledge do you need to achieve that goal

Which university offers a course and extras that will best provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to achieve your goal

If you don't have an answer to the questions in question 1, then don't go to university or accept that it will be a great experience but essentially a waste of your time and however much money you spend and know that you will basically be back to point 1 in three years time. So in that case, choose the university that will offer the best social life.

Just for reference, employers don't care where you went. They are not going to bin a CV that has Loughborough on because someone else has York. They are looking for the best person (person not university tie) for the job and essentially that boils down to skills and knowledge.
Reply 7
What subject would you be studying?
Do you like the idea of being able to visit a big city easily? Or do you prefer quiet?
Does the architecture and accommodation of a university matter to you much?
These factors might affect you more than prestige on paper as they are all well regarded for certain subjects. Although I'd say Bristol and Exeter are the ones that have the reputation as being for the poshest people. Nottingham's main old building is very impressive looking, in parkland - Leeds' looks similar although is in a city centre. Birmingham and Manchester are civic redbrick style. York and Lancaster (the War of the Roses historical rivals) are of 1960s origin and mostly removed from their cities, which doesn't suit everyone. Loughborough is particularly known for Sports Science and Engineering but, actually, Bristol, Leeds, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, and Exeter are ranked higher for some Engineering courses than Loughborough, according to The Complete University Guide.
(edited 2 days ago)

Hi there @username6661155,

These are all excellent universities to consider. While students tend to focus on 'prestige' when making their choice for university, there are some other factors that might be more useful!

First, take a closer look at the course you are considering. University courses will usually vary slightly in terms of assessment types, contact hours, module options, placement opportunities, areas of expertise, etc. You may find that one course suits you better than another, and this can help with your decision!

I would also have a think about the location of the universities you are considering - do you prefer campus or city? Is it important to be close to home? Personally, I have found Exeter to be the perfect mix between campus and city. Campus is beautiful and green, everything is really accessible and easy to navigate. It is also only a 10-15 minute walk into town, where there are plenty of pubs, restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. to choose from on a night out. It is also a 20 minute train ride to the beach - so you really do have a good range of activities to keep you busy during your time here! I'm also only 2 hours away from home, this was important as I knew I'd want to visit friends and family (especially during first year!). I would definitely have a think about this when making your decision!

Societies and clubs are also a great way to sway a decision - are you interested in any sports or hobbies? If so, have a look to see if the university you are considering offers this, and to what level. Societies are a great way to engage with the student community and meet new people, so I would definitely recommend checking this out!

Finally, consider future career prospects. Here at the University of Exeter we have an excellent Careers Team - on hand to help with interview practice, placement opportunities, CV writing, or just figuring out your next steps. They are a real asset to the university! The University of Exeter continues to be highly regarded by employers.

I hope this has helped in some way. Please do feel free to get in contact with any questions you may have!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
I'd say they're all roughly the same.

My approximate rankings would be:
Oxbridge > Top few London unis (UCL, LSE, Imperial, maybe Kings) > Russell Group > Everything Else > Ex Polys

I don't think there's much point trying to rank them at a more granular level within those groups. "Prestige" is such a blurry thing. You probably won't notice much of a difference between how much prestige people give you for attending Bristol vs Manchester or vice-versa.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Picnicl
Russell Group is an arbitrary load of forced-woke nonsense. Liverpool and Newcastle are in there which aren't even all that for some subjects.
Meanwhile, Leicester and Reading (which have more research going on than Warwick and Glasgow) aren't even in the Russell Group.

Yeah but we're talking about "prestige" rather than actual teaching or research quality. Most people haven't got a clue what the quality of any university is other than the one they attended. Also this is the reason why I described my rankings as "approximate". I'm aware that some non-Russell Groups are probably more prestigious than some Russell Groups.
(edited 2 months ago)
Bristol, Exeter, York, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Lancaster, Nottingham, Loughborough.

There you go. Does that help?
I hope you have some more questions now - like, how did I rank them? What subjects was I ranking them for? What were my criteria? etc

If not, just go with that list.
Reply 12
Bristol,Exeter,Manchester,Birmingham,Nottingham,York,Leeds,Lancaster,Loughborough
Reply 13
Original post by Ghostlady
Ok depends on the course. Sorry but a boss isnt going to go oooooh Bristol over York uni for example.
Its what the uni can offer you. Like Loughborough, fabulous for sports, sports psychology that kind of thing.

Daughter does particle physics. So in her case Lancaster is well up there and Manchester because they offer excellent phds and internships. Birmingham do but not as many phds in particle. Wheres astrophysics id have to say many of the above are good (maybe york at a touch because of the astrocampus).

Something like Law - Nottingham Bristol and Manchester.

Business and marketing and management - Lancasters business school I hear good reports about them all the time. As well as English, although Exeter is good for English too.

Aerospace engineering, Bristol. My cousin went there and he rates it as it gave him the oppotunities.

All the above is going on who ive spoken to and their own experiences as well as what I hear from TSR as well.

I'm glad your cousin liked aerospace at Bristol, I've put them as my firm option.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
I'd say they're all roughly the same.

My approximate rankings would be:
Oxbridge > Top few London unis (UCL, LSE, Imperial, maybe Kings) > Russell Group > Everything Else > Ex Polys

I don't think there's much point trying to rank them at a more granular level within those groups. "Prestige" is such a blurry thing. You probably won't notice much of a difference between how much prestige people give you for attending Bristol vs Manchester or vice-versa.

Not correct for many degrees. For Engineering for example, if you want to go into F1 then Oxford Brookes is the place to go.
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79
Not correct for many degrees. For Engineering for example, if you want to go into F1 then Oxford Brookes is the place to go.

Not necessarily. My friend at Bristol got a placement at mercedes Benz f1
Original post by Ajdj12
Not necessarily. My friend at Bristol got a placement at mercedes Benz f1

One example does not disprove what I said - every year Brookes is the target because they are the most successful UK uni in the Formula Student competition. Bath do better than Bristol!
A placement is not a full-time job.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by hotpud
They are unrankable. You are asking the wrong questions.

What do you want to do after university? What skills and knowledge do you need to achieve that goal

Which university offers a course and extras that will best provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to achieve your goal

If you don't have an answer to the questions in question 1, then don't go to university or accept that it will be a great experience but essentially a waste of your time and however much money you spend and know that you will basically be back to point 1 in three years time. So in that case, choose the university that will offer the best social life.

Just for reference, employers don't care where you went. They are not going to bin a CV that has Loughborough on because someone else has York. They are looking for the best person (person not university tie) for the job and essentially that boils down to skills and knowledge.

I disagree with the suggestion that you should not go to university unless you already know what you wish to do after you graduate, or that doing so would be a waste of time.

Going to a good university is a worthwhile thing to do regardless of what you plan to do and actually do afterwards. Learning is not a waste of time. Making friendships that may endure for life is not a waste of time. Not everything in life can or should be monetised.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Stiffy Byng
I disagree with the suggestion that you should not go to university unless you already know what you wish to do after you graduate, or that doing so would be a waste of time.

Going to a good university is a worthwhile thing to do regardless of what you plan to do and actually do afterwards. Learning is not a waste of time. Making friendships that may endure for life is not a waste of time. Not everything in life can or should be monetised.
I quite agree with all of that. But the question is, how are you going to rank said universities? I went to university X. Would I have made more / better friendships if I had gone to uni Y? Would I have had better learning? Debatable but rather subjective and more likely a product of the people who sit the course than the teaching per se.

Does uni Y better your chances of success in employment over uni X? In my experience of recruiting in the computing world, absolutely not a jot. I have turned down quite a few 1st class Oxbridge grads in my time. They are great at taking exams but couldn't demonstrate any ability to do the job advertised.

Hence my point that rankings are both pointless and futile. The only people they serve are the finance departments of universities and the egos of students who think rankings mean something. But between you, me and pretty much everyone not in education, they mean absolutely nothing. Employers only care about how you will bring value to their business.
In my profession (law), Oxbridge and the rest of the Russell Group have an edge when it comes to recruitment of graduates. This is not to say that the only way in to the profession is via Oxbridge or the rest of the Russell Group, but it does help, especially if aiming to work at the top end of the market.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending