The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL or St-Gallen?

I'm a swiss student who has an offer from UCL for BA International social political sciences (ISPS), and although I adore the course I am a little bit worried that it would be better value for money to go to HSG St Gallen (international relations) instead, given how it is much cheaper (UCL international fees good lord..). I am in a lucky enough position that my parents can pay but would it be worth it?
London is an incredible city and UCL is a solid brand name but how does it compare to St Gallen and how are the career prospects?
Fellow Swiss with IR undergraduate offers from LSE, UCL and KCL and similar thoughts.

HSG has low fees & living costs compared to London, is close to home, a good network in the DACH region, and I liked Christoph Frei’s presentation during the open day. What I don’t like is the student selection done during the first assessment year, taking up 1/3 of the degree time, with some mandatory courses I am not keen on.

A UK undergraduate gives me more selection options from the start (at LSE even 25% outside of my degree), a global student body with a worldwide network, and a 2 year work visa for the UK. I can transfer to a HSG BIA if things don’t work out or do a Masters at HSG later on.

I don’t think that a UK degree is good monetary value for a Swiss, more like an exciting luxury item with the potential to be a great experience. UCL has even significantly higher fees than LSE, I wonder why. Your BA is 4 years? Why not a regular 3 year BA and a 1 year Master?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Fellow Swiss with IR undergraduate offers from LSE, UCL and KCL and similar thoughts.
HSG has low fees & living costs compared to London, is close to home, a good network in the DACH region, and I liked Christoph Frei’s presentation during the open day. What I don’t like is the student selection done during the first assessment year, taking up 1/3 of the degree time, with some mandatory courses I am not keen on.
A UK undergraduate gives me more selection options from the start (at LSE even 25% outside of my degree), a global student body with a worldwide network, and a 2 year work visa for the UK. I can transfer to a HSG BIA if things don’t work out or do a Masters at HSG later on.
I don’t think that a UK degree is good monetary value for a Swiss, more like an exciting luxury item with the potential to be a great experience. UCL has even significantly higher fees than LSE, I wonder why. Your BA is 4 years? Why not a regular 3 year BA and a 1 year Master?
Wow hi! I didn’t actually think there would be enough people in this situation to stumble onto this post, so thanks!
And yes your analysis is on point. Although I unfortunately couldn’t go to the open days I did go visit HSG, and the city as well as being close to home seems really nice.
Now I agree that a London degree is unlikely to be any more advantageous in Switzerland than HSG, but I, personally really like the idea of an international experience, especially for undergrad.
Is that experience worth the tuition and living prices? I’m not sure… but well.

Oh yes and ISPS is 4 years due to a year abroad (China in this case) although I’ve also applied to their dual degree with sciencespo Paris that I’m waiting on an interview from!

Also congrats on the 3 offers they’re really impressive! Where do you think you’ll end up going? Oh and are you also doing the matura?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 27paperart
I'm a swiss student who has an offer from UCL for BA International social political sciences (ISPS), and although I adore the course I am a little bit worried that it would be better value for money to go to HSG St Gallen (international relations) instead, given how it is much cheaper (UCL international fees good lord..). I am in a lucky enough position that my parents can pay but would it be worth it?
London is an incredible city and UCL is a solid brand name but how does it compare to St Gallen and how are the career prospects?

Hi I am currently a Swiss student at LSE and would advise to you to check what you really want for undergrad. London is really fun for undergrad and UCL is quite easy / student body is really relaxed. You will definitely have more fun at UCL. However, if you care more about money and education, I would suggest to go to HSG. Also, I think academics will be much better in Switzerland, where the emphasis is more on understanding that learning by heart (in the UK). Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have specific questions.
Reply 4
Original post by Daxa27
Hi I am currently a Swiss student at LSE and would advise to you to check what you really want for undergrad. London is really fun for undergrad and UCL is quite easy / student body is really relaxed. You will definitely have more fun at UCL. However, if you care more about money and education, I would suggest to go to HSG. Also, I think academics will be much better in Switzerland, where the emphasis is more on understanding that learning by heart (in the UK). Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have specific questions.

Thanks so much for the answer! What made you want to go to England instead of making the well, rational decision of staying in Switzerland?
I’m surprised the academics are that much better at HSG, though given the reputation of the London schools, could you elaborate on the understanding/learning by heart part?
Urgh this is such a tough decision😭
I mean I’ve wanted to study abroad since I was little and thought undergrad would be a wonderful opportunity for that + full English immersion, incredible course flexibility and the focus on china. On the other hand HSG just rationally sounds like a better option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending