The Student Room Group

Are some Universities more difficult than others?

Im currently studying at Aberystwyth but Im looking at transfering somewhere else like ManMet or Salford or UCLan but Im worried that the standards will be a lot higher and the degree will be much harder. Does anyone know if that will be the case and if a psychology degree at somewhere like ManMet or Salford will be harder than at Aber which is a pretty "easy" uni as far as uni goes.
Reply 1
The best ranked universities tend to award the highest percentage of firsts but, confusing matters, some of the lowest ranked universities aren't far off their percentage.
If the same degree was about as hard at each university, it'd be very unlikely that some of the lowest ranked universities, who generally admit entrants with lower grades on average, would be getting nearly the same percentage.
If the course content looks the same, there's a higher chance that they are closer in difficulty to each other.
There are so many ifs and buts for a potential employer about how hard the degree objectively was. That's why the higher ranked universities are the best bet for employers. They know they don't make their courses deliberately easy. But it all depends on the employer. They're unlikely to pick someone who's lacking personal flair over someone who's not. Down the line, though, people can acquire flair. So go to the best place but that suits you - it must suit your personality as a place to study. If a lower ranked university is really good for a particular subject, that can make a difference though.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by clenny-04
Im currently studying at Aberystwyth but Im looking at transfering somewhere else like ManMet or Salford or UCLan but Im worried that the standards will be a lot higher and the degree will be much harder. Does anyone know if that will be the case and if a psychology degree at somewhere like ManMet or Salford will be harder than at Aber which is a pretty "easy" uni as far as uni goes.
I doubt that. Why do you want to move. Is it to be closer to home.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
I doubt that. Why do you want to move. Is it to be closer to home.
Partly that yeah and partly money reasons, plus Im not enjoying Aber too much
Reply 4
in terms of rankings salford and manmet are pretty close to aberystwyth anyway, doubt therell be that much of a difference in course difficulty
Reply 5
I honestly think that some are, but I also think that there are other factors at play as well like the amount of support that the university offers to the students. For example I go to Ulster and I have friends that have previously went to QUB and they said the amount of work that they had for the same course was different (QUB had more) but they got no support like mental health support, tutor support etc. which made them want to leave. Honestly though I'm of the opinion that a degree is a degree no matter where it's from and genuinely most employers will hire you based on your experience in the field and how well you come across in the interview rather than what uni you went to🙂
I'm not too sure, but I do psychology at keele uni and based on what I've heard, we have it much easier compared to other unis like Nottingham. People said our course is much more relaxed compared to some other unis, and I think that's mostly because it's is coursework-only whereas other unis have exams.
Hey @clenny-04,

There are many factors to think about when looking at transferring to a new University.

My top tips would be to, consider the location of the university and the type of campus you'll be studying at. The University of Salford, for example, is an on-site campus, which means everything is conveniently close together. However, there are also city campuses to consider.

Next, take a deeper dive into the course you want to study at each university you are interested in. Look into the modules and content taught within the course to ensure it aligns with your interests and goals. This will give you a better idea of what to expect and whether it's the right fit for you. You can find the BSc (Hons) in Psychology we teach at Salford here.

If you have any further questions about transferring to the University of Salford, please feel free to contact our enquiries team at [email protected] or give them a call at +44 (0)161 295 4545. They'll be happy to assist you with any queries you may have.

Katie 🙂
(University of Salford Rep)
Reply 8
Why are you worried that they will have higher standards or be harder? Surely that is good. If something is easy, anyone can do it, therefore it is worthless. If it is hard and you achieve, then you know you are worthy? Or are you the kind of person who just wants a rubber stamp to say you have a degree in the hope that somehow that is worth something to a potential employer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending