The Student Room Group

Should I go for Master's or gain work experience first?

Hello! I'm currently 20, turning 21 and am in my last semester of studies for my bachelor's degree in accounting and finance. I'm contemplating pursuing a master's degree in either business administration or marketing down the line. While my parents advocate for me to proceed directly to a master's program after completing my bachelor's, I'm inclined to believe that gaining some work experience might be more advantageous for me. Given my limited exposure to internships, I feel it's crucial to explore various career paths and weigh my options between accounting and marketing. I'm torn between whether to pursue further studies immediately after graduation or to take some time to gain practical experience. And if gaining experience is the better option, how many years is optimal before pursuing a master's degree? I would greatly appreciate any guidance and advice on this matter.
Hi! I was in the same boat (but psychology).
I had a long think about realistic careers I could see myself doing and for me going straight into a Masters is the best plan, which is exactly what I will be doing now.

I asked a lot of my lecturers the same thing you are asking, and the vast majority did highlight once you leave education and join the working world it can be difficult to find the time to come back.
Although I completely get the appeal of work experience too. From first year my plan was to do my degree, get some work experience and then come back. But if I’m honest i realised that would lead me to joining the NHS, something I’ve been discouraged from doing.

I think if you have a reflection on how helpful a masters would be to your career prospects off the bat? If it would propel you it might be worth considering.

I hope you found something in this helpful
Companies will always prefer experience over book smart.
Original post by milodinoooo
Hello! I'm currently 20, turning 21 and am in my last semester of studies for my bachelor's degree in accounting and finance. I'm contemplating pursuing a master's degree in either business administration or marketing down the line. While my parents advocate for me to proceed directly to a master's program after completing my bachelor's, I'm inclined to believe that gaining some work experience might be more advantageous for me. Given my limited exposure to internships, I feel it's crucial to explore various career paths and weigh my options between accounting and marketing. I'm torn between whether to pursue further studies immediately after graduation or to take some time to gain practical experience. And if gaining experience is the better option, how many years is optimal before pursuing a master's degree? I would greatly appreciate any guidance and advice on this matter.

Get employment experience. That's especially so if you are thinking of studying something slightly different to your undergrad skill. Frankly, going undergrad A&F to postgrad Marketing or Business Admin looks like you've decided you can't cope with A&F. Much better to get into a company/organisation, consolidate your technical experience and then 3-5 years in, review your PG options. It's very easy to take a 1 year career break and do a PG degree nowadays.
Original post by milodinoooo

Id get a bit of experience first. As well as getting the experience, it will also help you decide whether to do business administration or marketing for further study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending