The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

oh I 'know' the material, its just when i get big history essays in exam i need to recall a big list of things i should talk about i just have a mnemonic for it
Reply 21
Rose64
I tend to work in fairly long bursts, like I'll do 2 hours of one subject, have a half hour break and then go onto something else.

Another tip: Find out what kind of learner you are. i.e Visual, auditory, or emotional. If you learn best by remembering things you see, make your notes look all pretty and bright so they'll stick in your mind. Or, if you learn best by hearing stuff, record yourself talking about a subject. :smile:

this is a really good tip, thanx :wink:
Reply 22
Baron Fox
I don't find writing anything down is of use to me. I sit on a comfortable sofa, where it's pefectly quiet, with a glass of water, and the relevant books for the subject I'm studying. I just read it with all my concentration; reading out loud parts I'm not confident of remembering. Whilst everyone tells me that's a rubbish way to revise, it works perfectly well for me, and I scarcely forget anything I read.

don't worry, i do that as well
Reply 23
this only works for some people: look, cover, write, check and repeat but my dad always told me to read, underline and do some questions afterwards to make sure you truly understand it.
Reply 24
I have a pretty poor revision technic, sorry I dont have any. I leave all my studies for the last month, and spend a year to make notes. I dont study seriously the whole year. In the last month you will see me studying through out the day, but not at night, I prefer a 10hours sleep. I do get good results,but this technic will suit very few. It is for lazy ones like me who can work like a horse when needed. I dont need to revise see, I have studied the subect only few days back. Neat huh?
Reply 25
My study revision guide would be to keep to your timetable and try your hardest when studying and keep focused. Test yourself at the end of each lesson and at least get 75% of the questions right otherwise keep going :smile:
Reply 26
hmm Revision?

Usually I don't absorb much of anything until the few days before an exam, which probably isn't the best thing. However, I don't usually exert myself the utmost--when I'm completely focused--until the last minute when I can retain more! Don't get me wrong. I do read the chapters; it's just I don't absorb it...merely glance over them when I read until days before the exam.

I just read ALL of my lecture notes again, read all of the chapters if they are short enough again, and then work on problems at the end of the chapters. Then I do sample homework problems over again.

After that, I sacrifice a lamb and paint its blood on my door to ensure success from the gods.
I'm just in the middle of creating CDs for Social/Cognitive/Cognitive Development Psychology, and one for my A2 Sociology unit. I'm putting all of my information on there so I can play it back and listen to it. And, if you're like me and like the sound of your own voice (:P) it's good :P.
lostinfantasies
I'm just in the middle of creating CDs for Social/Cognitive/Cognitive Development Psychology, and one for my A2 Sociology unit. I'm putting all of my information on there so I can play it back and listen to it. And, if you're like me and like the sound of your own voice (:P) it's good :P.

I might try that actually, I did it for History last year :p:
The thing is, my phone recording is pretty much not all that good. I can only do it for 15 seconds before it cuts out. I'm getting around that though by doing the 15 seconds, and then doing another recording following straight on afterwards. In Windows Movie Maker I'm putting them together :biggrin:, so both recordings become one.

I might even give the CD a title, which would be really lame. Something like "Siggie Freud feat. Lil' Hans" :P. Just something to lighten the idea of *REVISION*.
Revision should be animated and fun - I know I'd remember it a lot more if it was, rather than reading from a textbook. So I don't really mind if my CD title names are a bit "sad" and weird, I've had a small laugh doing it and I remember it more this way :biggrin:.
I condense my notes from my file and then do a really short (consists of a few key words) summary at the end. I'll make spider diagrams, do lots of diagrams on A3 paper and answer practive questions found on the internet.
Reply 32
I have no idea how I am going to revise this year...I have so many notes it would literally take me weeks to just skim read them all! :eek: And I have another two semesters to go yet before exams! :eek: :frown:
when i revise, i read through a topic, write down as much as i can remeber and then learn what i missed out. Then, i write out what i can remeber again and using a bright coloured pen i write in the bits i keep forgetting ( and they end up being like the only bits i remember when it comes to the exam though!:tongue:) also i find that for languages, recording yourself and then playing your voice back, works fantastically
Has word association worked for anyone else? I've found this with one topic, and if I can remember one word, I can remember the words associated with it, and from that I can build up the topic.

And would you suggest different methods for different subjects? I know sometimes it's automatic, simply because some subjects HAVE to have a different method because of what the subject is, but sometimes it's possible to have one method for every subject. Would you try and distinguish between the subjects by using different methods?
I did A levels in all essay based subjects (History, Economics and Philosophy) and for each file i would split up the units with dividers to make revision in chunks and i placed all the essays I did for homework at the end of each unit. I would then go through all notes and condense them into smaller notes on A5 paper, picking out the most important parts. I also used to write in capital letters for very important facts or dates (esp in history) because you would write slower often resulting in you remembering it. Then when i have finished condensing the notes into A5 for that unit, I would get a fresh A5 peice and make a web diagram with all the main arguments, issues etc. Then I would always ask my teacher for past papers for essay questions to practise on and would create web diagrams for each essay. This is really useful for subjects such as these because they often repeat the questions on the day!

I hope this helps. I can only speak for those subjects obviously, and different techniques might work better for other people but i couldn't be bothered with post-it notes etc, i just kept writing down the important points on A5 paper which i would then keep reading when you have the spare time. In the end i got AAA so all that note taking was worth the effort!
Reply 36
Nuheen
I have a pretty poor revision technic, sorry I dont have any. I leave all my studies for the last month, and spend a year to make notes. I dont study seriously the whole year. In the last month you will see me studying through out the day, but not at night, I prefer a 10hours sleep. I do get good results,but this technic will suit very few. It is for lazy ones like me who can work like a horse when needed. I dont need to revise see, I have studied the subect only few days back. Neat huh?

same thing here man, join d clb, hehehehe
Rose64
Some of us must be highly skilled in the art of revision by now, I know I've had rather a lot of practice! So I thought we could all share our favourite brain-goggling techniques, for the good of studentkind everywhere!

My best advice is to make a plan for every week, so you maximise your time and can decide exactly how much you do and on what you want to focus on. It feels all good inside when you complete a 5 hour stint! :eek: Also take regular breaks. It's no good sitting at a desk for ages getting stressier and stressier and not taking anything in.

Hope this thread is helpful :smile: Please contribute!

Freestyle your revision as much as possible, within a very general framework. So, set yourself a few days for a subject, a few weeks for your entire revision, for example, and work when you feel like working, do the subjects you feel like doing, take occasional breaks and get on with it. Just keep yourself motivated, and you won't need a timetable - they almost always end up failing and it becomes more a case of you having to do something because you wrote down two weeks ago that you would do it, as opposed to you actually being motivated to sit down and do it - it soon becomes a DRAG, a HINDRANCE, not the pleasurable experience it should be :wink:
SlyPie
I sacrifice a lamb and paint its blood on my door to ensure success from the gods.

Or that.
Write out things in words YOU understand.
For remeber ancient greek stories, I write a lot of it in slang such as "the stupid fools forgot to thank ariadne! this was foolish as she did most of the work...although she is a foreign woman, but it still pissed her off though..."

Really helps you to remeber things

Latest

Trending

Trending