The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
FireDeuce
Write out things in words YOU understand.
For remeber ancient greek stories, I write a lot of it in slang such as "the stupid fools forgot to thank ariadne! this was foolish as she did most of the work...although she is a foreign woman, but it still pissed her off though..."

Really helps you to remeber things

Hope you didn't write that in the exam - imagine the examiner's face.
Reply 41
I make up little quizzes for myself and photocopy it, then answer the questions over and over. I also read...then re-read my notes in this way. Revision guides for specific subjects are brill...if you read them often enough it helps you remember pretty much everything. Also, for subjects which require learning cases or studies (sociology, psychology, law etc)...I write down the name of the case/study, the date in brackets next to it and one sentence to help me remember what the case/study is about! Depending on how many there are, if you keep trying to write the studies out like this without looking at the sheet you've made, soon you can learn a large amount of cases and recall them easily and in great detail. Multiple choice quizzes are good for remembering facts. Also, plenty of practice exam questions... if you know how to set out your answer to the question beforehand, and you know the structure of the exam, it makes it so much easier to write it in a format which the examiners will like. Presentation, communication, application etc are just as important as the info itself!

Hope this helps!! :smile:
I swear by plain A3 paper and colourful marker pens. It works wonders..though I always got really strange looks in the school library!!
Reply 43
Once you have revised something, ALWAYS give yourself a mini quiz to refresh your brain. Do this at the end of the revision session, then at the end of the day, and then at the beginning of the next day. This will push it into your long term memory.
I seem to find that the whole mini quiz doesn't work for me at all. When I was revising for politics last summer I used to just go and annoy my family by telling them everything I had just revised. It seemed to work quite well so when my brother had AS law in January every day I used to ask him what he had revised and then get him to tell me about it..asking questions and that seemed to work too.
Reply 45
Does anyone actually sit down and remember things?
Reply 46
If they do, I'm very jealous!
Reply 47
I do the same - annoy friends, family and total strangers by telling them about what I have just revised over and over again. They are probably ready to sit the exam as well as me! :biggrin:
Reply 48
I find it so hard to sit there in a quite room and revise.
I have been told to keep writing things out over and over so it keeps in my head/ or just to read stuff then it will sink in!

I never know if the info has gone in or not - exams are getting closer and course work is stressing me out!!

Why isnt there just one way to revise?
:confused:
Reply 49
we were always told to find out what tpe of learner you are 1st. I am a visual learner so everything I need to remember I write in collour and I use brainstorms to sumarise my notes.
Reply 50
I record all my revision notes onto my iplod with an italk then listen to those. seems to work for me, im an audio learner.
I cant concentrate at all during revision, I've tried a few times but I just cant take any of it in. I've got a psychology AS exam in 3 weeks and there's soo much to revise :frown: Every time I try to start I just get overwhelmed by how much there is to revise and end up doing something more relaxing/fun :s-smilie: I also get distracted really easy :frown:

Any tips?
Reply 52
Darkened Angel
I cant concentrate at all during revision, I've tried a few times but I just cant take any of it in. I've got a psychology AS exam in 3 weeks and there's soo much to revise :frown: Every time I try to start I just get overwhelmed by how much there is to revise and end up doing something more relaxing/fun :s-smilie: I also get distracted really easy :frown:

Any tips?

I think it's important to split your subject up into subsections - I don't know about Psychology, but I've just been revising Physics where I split everything up into about 6 or 7 main topics, such as 'Waves' or 'The Universe'. Then you can treat each topic separately and work through them one by one. Get hold of a copy of the exam syllabus (it might be on the exam board website, or you could ask your teacher) and check that you have notes on everything you need. Tick the things you've learnt off as you go along. There's not really a quick way to get all the revision done, but I find splitting up the huge pile of work really helps - that way you can clearly see what you need to revise, and it's more organised. There's nothing more scary than a massive heap of unorganised notes! Another thing you could try - and I know it sounds sad, but it really helps - is to get excited about your subject! Just be really positive about revision, and think of it as an enjoyable experience... I've found you can kind of trick your brain into looking forward to revision. And ticking each thing you learn off the list can be really satisfying as well!

OK I didn't mean to write that much :p: but hope I helped somehow! Good luck!
xemmajanex
I think it's important to split your subject up into subsections - I don't know about Psychology, but I've just been revising Physics where I split everything up into about 6 or 7 main topics, such as 'Waves' or 'The Universe'. Then you can treat each topic separately and work through them one by one. Get hold of a copy of the exam syllabus (it might be on the exam board website, or you could ask your teacher) and check that you have notes on everything you need. Tick the things you've learnt off as you go along. There's not really a quick way to get all the revision done, but I find splitting up the huge pile of work really helps - that way you can clearly see what you need to revise, and it's more organised. There's nothing more scary than a massive heap of unorganised notes! Another thing you could try - and I know it sounds sad, but it really helps - is to get excited about your subject! Just be really positive about revision, and think of it as an enjoyable experience... I've found you can kind of trick your brain into looking forward to revision. And ticking each thing you learn off the list can be really satisfying as well!

OK I didn't mean to write that much :p: but hope I helped somehow! Good luck!

thanks for that, i will try and do that, not sure if it'll help to concentrate but I'll try my best, thanks again :smile:
How do you find out which type of learner you are? Visual, auditary, or kinesthetic. Is there some kind of test you can take on the internet that anybody knows about? If i knew what type of learner i was i could revise better. Thank you.
psychology exam this thursday and i haven't started revision :\ i give up :frown:
Jaswarbrick
How do you find out which type of learner you are? Visual, auditary, or kinesthetic. Is there some kind of test you can take on the internet that anybody knows about? If i knew what type of learner i was i could revise better. Thank you.

there's a test you do at school that lets you know, not sure if there's one online, there should be, try googling it.
my wall is gonna be covered with greasy blue tack marks when all the posters and spider diagrams coem down in july. mums gonna flip. lol. yep thats my maint echnique.

and then try and type up revision notes on each module, like write a really logn essay which can be adapted to answer any question on the topic! then highlight bits according to knowledge, understanding and evaluation. (really good for humanities subjects like rs)

and someone earleir suggested to charts with pros and cons, i do that alot for economics-its really good!
i have to study in short bursts aswel else my wrist gets funny! feels like the bones going in and out of the joint lol. god help me on the exam day!!

also another tip. try find soem good revision guides for your subject to use as another source. and highlight and anotate that! find that really helps to develop a basic understanding of the topic. (i breezed through the year so have no diea whats goingon and so am literally learnign everythign now!) and then go through notes to understand everythign properly.
Reply 58
Last minute revision always have helped me! Basically I summarise everything which I more likely to forget in the exam into bullet points. I keep it as short as I can so that, just before the exam, I will be able to go over it. so far, this method has rescused me!
Reply 59
Nuheen
I have a pretty poor revision technic, sorry I dont have any. I leave all my studies for the last month, and spend a year to make notes. I dont study seriously the whole year. In the last month you will see me studying through out the day, but not at night, I prefer a 10hours sleep. I do get good results,but this technic will suit very few. It is for lazy ones like me who can work like a horse when needed. I dont need to revise see, I have studied the subect only few days back. Neat huh?

OMG...i do dat 22.. thats so weird..i dont actually know too many people who revise like me..except what i do is start revisin kinda late bcoz im lazy then work till like 12.30..then i wake up late etc etc..which is actually really bad..

BUT..what i would suggest people to do is make notes, using all your work and atleast 1 book, then just go over them until the exam, because in your exam what u rote in your notes will come back:biggrin:

:suith: GUD LUCK EVERYONE:suith:

Latest

Trending

Trending