The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
For my revision...

I look at the exam specification for each subjects; I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Art.

For Chemistry and biology; I go through the topics I find the hardest then write notes from the books/internet. I then do exam papers and then do a mini quiz for myself to ensure the informations stays.
I found it ok to revise for my Jan exams...but for these summer ones, it's a different story!

Best thing I did?

See my subject teacher/s.

Just going over stuff and about exam things has given me a push to get on!!!

Lol.

I feel more positive about revising.

I just hope I actually do it

:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

I found that you do need to do something with the information you have. I.e. your notes and info from text books etc!

I use to just read through stuff, but found that it didn't always stick!

XxxX
Here's my Revision method

Usually I practise more Past Papers and then I mark according to the marking schemes.

In the remaining time, I take the revision notes to read it and correct the concepts. That's all. Besides, I design my revision timetable so that I can revise more efficiently. Finally, I want to some friends who also take GCE A-level in June this year for sharing the expeience. I welcome all people to chat with me via MSN, E-mail or something else

i do like 12hrs straight in one day then be FAR more relaxed the next. maybe looking over couple of practise questions whilst online or tv etc. hard to get into but eventually it's easy to do...
Reply 84
I've got issues concentrating, and so I think that so far I've revised best if I stay at my college library, until closing time and get as much revision done as possible. If I'm at home, then I believe I can only revise if I have music running and I'm in my room with water next to me and no distractions from others.

However, the key to it all in my opinion is motivation. If your motivated, then you'll have no issues. As it is, who wants to fail and repeat the whole year again? Not me, and I think this may have kick-started my motivation! :smile:
For me its motivation...

GCSE's i never revised for, got alright grades.
AS i revised a couple of days before for a few hours (did ok in some but crap in others).
Now its 2 1/2 Days before i have my first exam (an AS resit), and then a month before my A2's. And have i started revision? Erm, only a small bit for my resit.

I would love to be able to do it, i dont mind giving up the time etc. But i physically cant drag myself to a book, EVERYTHING and ANYTHING distracts me. Like right now, i've been home for 3 1/2 hours and done nothing, just sat about....

Eek, any tips?
Reply 86
Sezkin
For my revision...

I look at the exam specification for each subjects; I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Art.

For Chemistry and biology; I go through the topics I find the hardest then write notes from the books/internet. I then do exam papers and then do a mini quiz for myself to ensure the informations stays.

Nice one :five:
Eau
It works for some people. But for me, just "know" the material and don't rely on mnemonics etc.

i always use stupid little acronyms.

like to remember which halogens are the best oxidising and reducing elements..

IFOX FIRE.
remembered as if ox fire.

=iodine--> fluorine better oxidising agent
&fluorine-> iodine better reducing element.

i am a loser.

how long should one be revising each day?
SlyPie
After that, I sacrifice a lamb and paint its blood on my door to ensure success from the gods.

I'm giving you rep for that :biggrin:
x Marina
OMG...i do dat 22.. thats so weird..i dont actually know too many people who revise like me..except what i do is start revisin kinda late bcoz im lazy then work till like 12.30..then i wake up late etc etc..which is actually really bad..

BUT..what i would suggest people to do is make notes, using all your work and atleast 1 book, then just go over them until the exam, because in your exam what u rote in your notes will come back:biggrin:

:suith: GUD LUCK EVERYONE:suith:

having said all that for chemistry, with english i find myself knowing massive chunks of the text, which is handy in the closed book Drama paper :biggrin:

got to learn Donne still though :eek:
Reply 90
Cool tips.
Reply 91
Do ne1 av good tips on revising business n law..?? Mind maps n readin doesn't seem 2 wrk n TV seems 2 become the worst distrafction ever..help i've an exam within days to go!!! any advice..?? plz help i would really appreciate it thanx..!!
I sometimes do codes to easily remember things. For example in Science:

DNA: There's A C G T

A pairs with T because the lines are straight in those letters
C pairs with G because the letters have curved.

To remember the elctromagnetic spectrum:

For the beginning of the spectrum, think of the football team Leigh RMI:

Low frequency | Long Wavelength

Radiowaves

Microwaves

Infra-red

Then think of the end of the alphabet, but nearly in the correct order:

Visible light

Ultraviolet

X-rays

And then the one left over:

Gamma Rays

You could think of the Hyundai XG for the last two (hence my username :wink:)

Those are just a couple of examples :p:
Reply 93
Get a revision guide. Memorise 1 page at a time. Copy it all out roughly word for word. Repeat with next page. Works fine for me :smile:
I believe all the problems begin from the mind. It's very important to think positively and have a passion to study the subjects.

I wasn't a smart kid in the first place. And all I did was to have a strong desire to succeed academically. That kept me motivated and focused towards getting a good result.

In the end, I've gotten distinctions for Maths, Physics, & chemistry.
Reply 95
How to Revise
Some Revision Techniques

Well, here are some things I like to do...

Go through the notes you've made during class and rewrite them up, adding to them from revision books, making them as neat and as colourful as possible. Then, you have your own personalised revision book. I found this really helped for psychology and for biology. And plus, when I am under stress I tend to become even more obsessive compulsive than I already am, so writing things out over and over is something I am used to. This of course may just be a pain to you and you may wish to just use revision guides, but they are always too detailed and never exactly what you want.

Once I'm happy I know and understand the bulk of the course, I go through past exam paper after past exam paper and record my marks, and I make notes of what I consistently get wrong. I then go over these things.

Or, alternatively, I go through exam papers doing only what I know is correct, and anything else I make mindmaps of "perfect answers" using notes mainly from the mark scheme. This is a really quick and effective method of revision. Mindmaps of perfect answers... you'll soon notice after maybe even two papers that you begin repeating yourself and find that in the third or fourth you know the answer to something you didn't in the first or second.

And I always make revision posters of the things I find especially troublesome. My room was literally plastered with psychology mindmaps. They are incredibly useful and in the exam, a few times I would close my eyes and imagine being in my room. The posters had been up so long I could almost read them in my mind, or they'd at least provide the appropriate retrieval cue for me to remember.

Also, there are cue cards. Write the name of something you often forget on one side in one colour, and then on the other, a basic, easy definition which in an exam situation would help you remember a lot more detail. Lay all your cue cards out and learn them through basic conditioning! This was excellent for me when learning key vocab for my German written exam.

For subjects like maths, all you can really do is question after question after question. During my revision for C2 I found the tough logarithm questions quite hard at first so I just did log question after log question after log question from the C2 book. By the end, I was an expert at C2 logarithm questions! By repeating so many questions you end up with a sixth sense for what the next thing to do in a tricky question is. I ended up finding C2 very easy because I'd been practising with those Spoof Papers which are much harder than the real things, and I was often getting 90%+ on these, after a lot of practice.

With some of these revision techniques utilised (especially the one where you make mindmaps of the "perfect" answer) you can afford to maybe have a little music on in the background without worrying too much about concentration. The idea is to make revision as active as possible, and not passive, ie. don't just sit and read your notes over and over and don't just write notes out again and again (unless you're making your revision guide yourself, or you're compressing old notes down). I've become so good (and believe me I hate tooting my own horn so when I say I've become so good I'm saying it for a reason) that I can have television on in the background (but only something you've seen before eg. I couldn't have a new episode of House on in the background but my Scrubs DVDs I've seen lots of times).

It's all about making revision as effective for yourself as possible.
Reply 96
Advice:

Don't focus on how much you have not done, just remember that every bit of revision you do could get you another point!

Remember to look through past papers so you are prepared.

Don't feel guilty for taking breaks!
Reply 97
Gamaya
How to Revise
Some Revision Techniques

Well, here are some things I like to do...

Go through the notes you've made during class and rewrite them up, adding to them from revision books, making them as neat and as colourful as possible. Then, you have your own personalised revision book. I found this really helped for psychology and for biology. And plus, when I am under stress I tend to become even more obsessive compulsive than I already am, so writing things out over and over is something I am used to. This of course may just be a pain to you and you may wish to just use revision guides, but they are always too detailed and never exactly what you want.

Once I'm happy I know and understand the bulk of the course, I go through past exam paper after past exam paper and record my marks, and I make notes of what I consistently get wrong. I then go over these things.

Or, alternatively, I go through exam papers doing only what I know is correct, and anything else I make mindmaps of "perfect answers" using notes mainly from the mark scheme. This is a really quick and effective method of revision. Mindmaps of perfect answers... you'll soon notice after maybe even two papers that you begin repeating yourself and find that in the third or fourth you know the answer to something you didn't in the first or second.

And I always make revision posters of the things I find especially troublesome. My room was literally plastered with psychology mindmaps. They are incredibly useful and in the exam, a few times I would close my eyes and imagine being in my room. The posters had been up so long I could almost read them in my mind, or they'd at least provide the appropriate retrieval cue for me to remember.

Also, there are cue cards. Write the name of something you often forget on one side in one colour, and then on the other, a basic, easy definition which in an exam situation would help you remember a lot more detail. Lay all your cue cards out and learn them through basic conditioning! This was excellent for me when learning key vocab for my German written exam.

For subjects like maths, all you can really do is question after question after question. During my revision for C2 I found the tough logarithm questions quite hard at first so I just did log question after log question after log question from the C2 book. By the end, I was an expert at C2 logarithm questions! By repeating so many questions you end up with a sixth sense for what the next thing to do in a tricky question is. I ended up finding C2 very easy because I'd been practising with those Spoof Papers which are much harder than the real things, and I was often getting 90%+ on these, after a lot of practice.

With some of these revision techniques utilised (especially the one where you make mindmaps of the "perfect" answer) you can afford to maybe have a little music on in the background without worrying too much about concentration. The idea is to make revision as active as possible, and not passive, ie. don't just sit and read your notes over and over and don't just write notes out again and again (unless you're making your revision guide yourself, or you're compressing old notes down). I've become so good (and believe me I hate tooting my own horn so when I say I've become so good I'm saying it for a reason) that I can have television on in the background (but only something you've seen before eg. I couldn't have a new episode of House on in the background but my Scrubs DVDs I've seen lots of times).

It's all about making revision as effective for yourself as possible.

What do you think of these ideas?

If your grades are anything to go by, then they're excellent! :p:

Actually in all seriousness, they're very good, and they do make a lot of sense! I particularly like your idea of making your own little 'revision' book. That sounds like something that could be quite good for me!

I've printed off your tips for casual reference, I'm rubbish at revision techniques, so hopefully these will help! :smile: :smile:

Many thanks; they must have taken you ages to type up!!

Latest

Trending

Trending