The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Botticello
Can someone tell me if you're resitting something for the second time, do they still keep your higher mark? Mine are all AQA.

Yes they do...
TONS of rest and a small but filling breakfast, you would be surprised!
Some great tips on here!:wink: if only i found this thread earlier.. lol
Reply 123
Colours:biggrin:
I highlight important stuff in red etc and examples in green
Then its easier to revise over it
Post it notes with key facts on them posted around your bath, opposite your loo, on your sink and on the cupboard where you keep your coffee or biscuits. Different coloured post it notes for different subjects. Only works if you keep the amount low.
Reply 125
My problem is somewhat stupid and has such a stronghold on me.You see the people around me in my college think that studying is uncool and ur a nerd or something.These people convince the rest not to study and will score high marks.I know that this guys are just liars and just act like they don't study but in reality once they go home they study like crazy.I college they act like they are naturally smart without the need to even touch a book they can get 100%. I somewhat believe their lie eventhough I now against my better conscience that this guys are liars.And I end up becoming the loser.How do I get rid of that negative mindset?
doing past papers and praticing questions out of a textbook.
Reply 127
I have previously posted these tips in another discussion, but they have helped me a lot so I thought I'd post them again. I am currently studying for AS in maths, bio, chem, lang and lit so I have had to give a lot of thought on how to revise efficiently. Anyways here we go:

1. Make sure that you get enough sleep, eat well, and drink water. I know it sounds stupid but it really made a change to me!
2. Tell all you're friends that you are going to have your mobile, MSN, e-mail and facebook switched off for the coming week
3. Switch off your mobile, MSN, e-mail and facebook

4. MAKE SURE THAT YOU ONLY REVISE WHAT YOU NEED TO REVISE! I have spent so many hours thinking "I'll just read this chapter to reinforce the foundations, so that it will be easier to learn the rest" - but if you know something, don't go through it.
5. Go somewhere that you associate with studying, where you ONLY study. A library works well for me. Don't go anywhere where you risk bumping into friends
6. I lose concentration when I don't understand something. If this is the case for you as well, when you don't understand something, write it down in a list, and go through it with a friend or teacher.

7. Perhaps most importantly: Do a lot of old exams. And start doing them early.

Those are some of my tips:yep: ... hopefully they will help! I am also going to attend some revision courses, I think they can make a huge difference. I got this link from a friend: http://issuu.com/revisioncourses/docs/revision_academy_easter09/1?zoomed=&zoomPercent=&zoomX=&zoomY=&noteText=&noteX=&noteY=&viewMode=magazine
(website www.revisionacademy.co.uk)
I think that that is where I'm going.

Good luck and may the force be with us all.

Mathew
This thread tells you all that you need to know about revision :wink:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18046887#post18046887
Reply 129
It's alright all these people saying 'dont make revision timetables blah blah' but i think we have to define what one is. What i do is, i do have a timetable, but i just say to myself i need to do 2 subjects each day, with a bit of coursework at night or something. Work out when you're not able to revise and when you are. Revision has to come first, if someone asks you to go out, say no, you have to revise, unless it's a specific night you have off.

For me, it goes something like this:

Monday - 2 subjects throughout the day. Start at 9, finish when i finish, with regular breaks. At night do coursework
Tuesday the same but have night off.
Wednesday the same as monday
Thursday same during day but night off.
Friday same as monday/wednesday
Weekends off. Sunday night review all weeks work.

For me it's about getting through the topics. If you get them done, that's great, you can relax for the rest of the day. Providing you have planned your time effectively. I have worked out that with doing that i cover all the topics before my exam, and i have also managed to include exam practise and coursework.

For me, by the third topic my brain gets tired, so i do my two topics then finish until i've had dinner, then do some coursework which isn't as demanding on the brain (well usually).

i really don't think 'just do it when you want to do it and do the topics you want, just keep motivated' attitude can work well because it is almost like you're giving yourself the option to opt out. You do have to be strict on yourself, revision is not exciting, you wouldn't do it if you didn't have to, but you do. At least with my method if i don't feel up to it i can relax for an hour then go back to it. You're not on a tight schedule.

I guess my message is be strict with yourself, but not too strict. Don't just do it when you feel like it, cos lets face it, who ever feels like revising? Not me.
Reply 130
Well_Hello
This thread tells you all that you need to know about revision :wink:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18046887#post18046887

Yea... i wouldn't recommend that either :p:.
Here's my Top 10 revision tips, hope they help!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeTxf_m3tyI
Good luck!
Reply 132
you can get the best of study material when you follow this site. http://www.amazon.com/Memletics-Accelerated-Learning-Manual-Performance/dp/0975117424/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240325866&sr=8-1

don't forget to share the book with the rest of us once you get it

It has the coolest study techniques.
Dilemma o'clock.

In College a good few years back, I never really revised (never knew how; plus I seemed to have an almost photographic memory) for my A-levels in Geog, Geol, Computing and Photog.

Yet after a gap year in market research I found myself doing an ocean science degree, having never really studied hardcore science before. Without knowing how to revise (and probably not fully understanding much of the underlying physics), I went from AAAB in my A-levels to results closer to 40% in my 2nd year degree exams.

Panic stations.

Can anyone recommend a decent 'cramming' technique? Re-reading notes does little for me but I'm finding little bullet-points and diagrams work okay. Does this mean I'm a 'visual learner'? Is it possible my memory's failed me when I need it most? Or would changing my sleep pattern solve problems?
Anyone know if mindmaps actually help? Would just writing information down have the same effect?
Ninja Student
Anyone know if mindmaps actually help? Would just writing information down have the same effect?

They definitely work. I noticed a small increase in my marks when I started using them. I read Tony Buzan's book about them... it links the information together in your brain so you understand it fully, and the colours and flowiness of it help too. They can take a while to make, though, so I sometimes use software to do it for me.
berryripple
They definitely work. I noticed a small increase in my marks when I started using them. I read Tony Buzan's book about them... it links the information together in your brain so you understand it fully, and the colours and flowiness of it help too. They can take a while to make, though, so I sometimes use software to do it for me.

Don't you think that writing it out would be better than using a software, as writing it would help to process the information together in your brain.
Thanks for your reply, I guess I'm going to start using mindmaps now.
Ninja Student
Don't you think that writing it out would be better than using a software, as writing it would help to process the information together in your brain.
Thanks for your reply, I guess I'm going to start using mindmaps now.

Yeah, writing it is better, but if I'm in a rush and don't really have the time, then software is just more convenient.
Reply 138
eli_jash
you can get the best of study material when you follow this site. http://www.amazon.com/Memletics-Accelerated-Learning-Manual-Performance/dp/0975117424/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240325866&sr=8-1

don't forget to share the book with the rest of us once you get it

It has the coolest study techniques.

thanks for sharing..

Latest

Trending

Trending