The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fudgesundae
Is this really a requirement? I know people who have gone to Bristol, Warwick, Bath and UCL without FM A level.

I think LSE and Cambridge do state that it is a preferred A level.

I thought he was talking about chemistry?
Reply 21
Original post by Regent

In terms of mathematical content, all these subjects are similar (Economics, Physics, Chemistry, CompSci and Engineering).

However, from what I've seen so far, Economics at the lower-tier universities isn't as mathematical at all. Don't know about the other courses though.
Original post by RVNmax
I thought he was talking about chemistry?

Most top unis require A Level Maths and Further Maths as prerequisites for entry. Is this the case with Chemistry?

he was saying most top unis ask for FM for Economics entry. I was just showing that barely anywhere does.
Reply 23
Original post by fudgesundae
he was saying most top unis ask for FM for Economics entry. I was just showing that barely anywhere does.

It may not be a prerequisite but it's strongly recommended.
If you're considering Actuarial Roles, I'd suggest Actuarial Science as a semi-numerate degree. It still keeps your options open for non-actuarial roles, but can exempt you from about half the exams needed to become a qualified actuary, should you decide to go down that path.
Original post by Regent
It may not be a prerequisite but it's strongly recommended.

No it isn't. Like I said, apart from LSE and Cambridge I can't think of anywhere that strongly recommends FM for Economics.
Original post by Bloodbath
I think Chemistry is more numerate than economics but the others are more numerate than Chemistry. I would say Chemistry is semi numerate
definitely not , economics is more numerate than chemistry for sure , the levels of maths you study vary where you study ,most good universities have a large amount of maths and usually require maths alevel and sometimes you wont even get in if you dont have further maths (LSE , oxbridge)

Latest

Trending

Trending