The Student Room Group

How open is consultancy/finance to me after an engineering degree apprenticeship?

I have been offered a degree apprenticeship at Rolls Royce in materials science and engineering. I don't necessarily plan to leave engineering, but if I wasn't enjoying it, how easy would it be for me to move into consultancy/finance and what would be the best route? How would this compare to the ease of moving into finance after a materials engineering degree from Imperial as this is my other option?
Reply 1
Following - in a very similar situation and would be most interested in others' thoughts on this.
Original post by Athilo
I have been offered a degree apprenticeship at Rolls Royce in materials science and engineering. I don't necessarily plan to leave engineering, but if I wasn't enjoying it, how easy would it be for me to move into consultancy/finance and what would be the best route? How would this compare to the ease of moving into finance after a materials engineering degree from Imperial as this is my other option?

Original post by kckc252
Following - in a very similar situation and would be most interested in others' thoughts on this.

It's an impossible question to answer. If you leave engineering after 6 months and there's a financial crisis - probably impossible to make the move. If you get an engineering job designing cash machines or vaults or security measures, then 5 years in they might bite your arm off. If you get an engineering job that's all numbers, then you might have a half decent chance in a few years - but you'd have many more easier options within the very broad range of work that is 'engineering'.

If you want to work in finance, get a finance degree. If you want to work in engineering, get an engineering degree. You can't hedge against every future life option.
Original post by Athilo
'Consultancy and Finance' are too broad as sectors to appropriately discuss how easy a move would be to move into either after a engineering degree apprenticeship. What roles or type of firms in finance/consulting do you mean specifically? What university is the degree apprenticeship with?
Reply 4
Original post by BenRyan99
'Consultancy and Finance' are too broad as sectors to appropriately discuss how easy a move would be to move into either after a engineering degree apprenticeship. What roles or type of firms in finance/consulting do you mean specifically? What university is the degree apprenticeship with?

The degree is a Beng in materials engineering from Derby University. My main areas of interest would probably be in strategy or finical advisory consulting (M+A and risk management seem interesting to me). These areas seem like they would provide a high level of challenge and financial reward that would be appealing if didn't enjoy engineering as much as I think I should. If you need any more detail please let me know and I can do some more research and get back to you. Thanks for your reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending