The Student Room Group

Investment Banking Carer Path

I’m currently on a gap year and I just received my A level result which were (Maths - A, Econ - A, Business - B [considering remark as was very close to A]). I didn’t apply to uni last year as my I was predicted an E in maths :frown:. I want to go into the field of high finance / investment banking in the long term and the finance BSC at Durham uni caught my eye as typical offer was grades AAB. Do you think this would be good enough for IB as the requirements seem quite low for a very prestigious uni (econ bsc typical offer was A*AA) and I’m worried this isn’t an academic enough degree. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by dnielslfj
I’m currently on a gap year and I just received my A level result which were (Maths - A, Econ - A, Business - B [considering remark as was very close to A]). I didn’t apply to uni last year as my I was predicted an E in maths :frown:. I want to go into the field of high finance / investment banking in the long term and the finance BSC at Durham uni caught my eye as typical offer was grades AAB. Do you think this would be good enough for IB as the requirements seem quite low for a very prestigious uni (econ bsc typical offer was A*AA) and I’m worried this isn’t an academic enough degree. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

It's fine for IB. You've got to remember that IB isn't academic at all, so why are you worrying about a degree not being academic enough? Economics is just a much more popular subject, hence has higher grades. I've see people get into places like UCL, LSE and even Oxbridge on AAA/AAB grades for some courses, yet they're still highly employable in IB too
Reply 2
Original post by BenRyan99
It's fine for IB. You've got to remember that IB isn't academic at all, so why are you worrying about a degree not being academic enough? Economics is just a much more popular subject, hence has higher grades. I've see people get into places like UCL, LSE and even Oxbridge on AAA/AAB grades for some courses, yet they're still highly employable in IB too

That is really really encouraging, thank you. Tbh I would much rather do finance instead of economics as thats what I actually enjoy and I believe it's more relevant to the field. Do you have any advice as to what I could be doing during my gap year that will help me when it comes to uni applications and internships further down the line? I currently have a full time job but will have a spare 3 hours a day + weekends to do any qualifications/accreditations that will help my career prospects. I am considering taking A level further maths privately (it wouldn't be a resit as I wasn't offered to do it before) as the formidable online recourses surrounding the subject make me confident I could attempt it. However, people keep on telling me it's pointless as I will sit the exam in June 2024 at the earliest and so won't be able to use it when applying for uni before the Nov 2024 deadline (UCAS deadline for my school for Sep 2024 entry.) I would be genuinely grateful for any help as my sixth form is no longer providing career advice for ex-students :frown:. Also do you think Durham is a good uni for finance BSc, would investments banks consider student from Durham as well as UCL, LSE and Oxbridge?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
idts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending