The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Psycoology
I have an offer to study psychology in September and I was planning to RESIT English GCSE to get a C. But I have no idea what to do now since I’m an external student. I have emailed the private exam centre that I failed the gcse in if they can use my previous grade (3) to predict me a 4 but I highly doubt that will happen because i’m a bloody external student :frown:

Let’s all cry together. I’m now going to officially be a mature student when I start uni when I turn 21 next year June.

Nothing wrong with being older at uni- you'll probably get more out of it, as you've worked harder to get there. I went to uni at 20, and I think it was better than it would have been had I gone at 18.
Original post by not_XIX_forever
I’ll never get into medical school 😭😭
My gap year was a waste.

My teachers hate me.

I was determined to resit and do better than last year.

Everything is ruined :frown:

If you really want to get into med school, surely taking a second gap year is an option?
I’m confident I’ll get fair grades as I did well in mocks and although I’m far from my teachers’ favourite, they know I put in effort.
Why not just use our As grades?
Original post by PQ
Because open book coursework expects candidates to use online and other resources. That's how they're designed.
How exactly do you expect candidates to cheat?

OK but a lot of a levels don't have coursework so I don't understand what you even mean.
Original post by WIGBLOWN
Did you not read or do you not understand what ‘indistinguishable’ means?

In case you don't know, the year of an award is always on the certificate, so employers will know.
Original post by Reversed Flash
CIE released a statement that they are not effected by this change as they are not regulated by the UK. Exams should carry on for you guys.

yes i hope they carry on for us
Original post by Emma Watson7946
Why not just use our As grades?

The majority of students don't sit AS Levels.
Original post by discovery01
explain how its possible.

Jesus I have no idea, have you not been told yet, or do you not take exams at your university?
Original post by Deborah247
The course I want to do doesn’t accept resits and it’s AAA that I need so if they give me a **** grade and I decide to “resit”, how am I going to do the course I want to do? Will unis accept me? I really want to cry

Hi! This situation is really really strange obviously. Although I can't say for sure, I'm very confident any university would not see it as a 'resit' if you chose to take exams instead of accept the results you were given!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Nothing wrong with being older at uni- you'll probably get more out of it, as you've worked harder to get there. I went to uni at 20, and I think it was better than it would have been had I gone at 18.

If you really want to get into med school, surely taking a second gap year is an option?

20 isn’t a mature student. But at this rate, I’m going to go uni at 24. All due to an English GCSE. I’m going to cry so hard later on tonight :frown:
Original post by Sir Cumference
The majority of students don't sit AS Levels.

At least for those who sit???
Original post by not_XIX_forever
I’ll never get into medical school 😭😭
My gap year was a waste.

My teachers hate me.

I was determined to resit and do better than last year.

Everything is ruined :frown:

Take a deep breath. Remember that getting into med school means becoming a doctor. That means this is a great opportunity to build your resilience!
I'm sure a lot of qualified doctors looking ahead at the next few months would be very jealous of the position you're in at the moment.

Don't wish away your year before you even know the details about what will be used or see what the exam boards calculate for your grade.
Original post by harper_
Jesus I have no idea, have you not been told yet, or do you not take exams at your university?

Lmao so you don't know yourself. I had 3 exams in January and 2 have actually been cancelled but we did a mini test for it before my university closed.
Fee-paying independent school students are about to get a huge boost in university entrance figures.
explain how its possible.

Examinations can test synthesis and understanding rather than plain recall of facts which any fool could google. Otherwise, are you suggesting that any piece of coursework is invalid, because it's not done under timed examination conditions.

Oh, and I've just read your contributions over on the "How we can stop stockpiling/panic buying" thread. Not a pretty attitude, lady: "me, me me"
im in year 10 taking 4 gcses this year so shall i take the exams next year or get my predicted grades? i did terrible on assesments and mocks, didn't put in my full effort basically and my grades are low however i think im capable of achieving high grades but my teachers probably dont think that. also i know that im in year 10 and my option gcses dont matter as much as year 11s who have core+options.
I honestly really feel for a-level/GCSE students that are predicted low grades.... they don’t have a chance to prove their progression at all
for a level English Lit I was predicted D but achieved an A, like a lot of students I put most of my effort in towards the last few weeks before the actual exam
Original post by Sir Cumference
I wonder if "other relevant data" includes previous year's results and exam boards plan to keep the grade statistics similar to previous years.

Some suggestions on what other relevant data might be here: https://ffteducationdatalab.org.uk/2020/03/awarding-grades-in-2020/?utm_source=FFT+Education+Datalab&utm_campaign=36ffe42296-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_03_20_01_21&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_69bf38d335-36ffe42296-204249157

I do think the aim is to keep the proportions of students getting 5/7/9 or A/B/C similar to previous years, with adjustment for the overall ability of the cohort- but this is normal anyway.
Original post by SarcAndSpark

I was already resitting exams.
Next year I will be re resitting exams.
No medical schools accept students on predicted resit grades if they spend more than 3 years at sixth form/college.

Which means I would have to apply with achieved grades, so my application would be for 2022 entry WHAT A JOKE 😭
OK but a lot of a levels don't have coursework so I don't understand what you even mean.

Maybe if the concept of assessed work is too complicated for you and given that the removal of A level exams has zero impact on you personally then it would be best to stop spreading doom and gloom?

Latest

Trending

Trending