The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

but for those complaining they did outline you have an opputunity to sit your exams at the start of the next academic year
Original post by discovery01
LOL do you realise how many people aren't happy at this stage?

I'm curious as to what this comment is meant to mean? Sorry. If somebody is unhappy at this stage, they can still take the exam? How does this change what I said?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 42
for example BTEC pe will carry on as normal, as we can do this at home. You will still get the qualification as it is not a GCSE. hope this helps.
Why have they forgotten about us resit external students? What shall we do??? My exam board (edexcel) hasn’t released anything about external students. And I am going crazy!
yeh i think this system will work out for everyone!
Original post by Treetop321
This is what I wanted then to do so it's good to see them doing it. Those that have worked hard across the whole 2 years will be happy whilst those that were working to improve in the final exams still have that chance
Original post by Obolinda
I'm curious as to what this comment is meant to mean? Sorry. If somebody is unhappy at this stage, they can still take the exam?

because you literally don't understand how much this will produce inaccurate grades.
Resit students: Guess we'll just die then
Original post by helooo45356
but for those complaining they did outline you have an opputunity to sit your exams at the start of the next academic year

And start uni a year later? Who guarantees we will get offers for the next year?
Its a fudge and there are going to be big winners and big losers.

I still think the better method was to either do exams or postpone them.

Whole point of A levels is to revise for the exam over a concentrated period and then get objectively marked.
Exam technique is sometimes not taught by some schools or not taught till later so mock results can be very poor and misleading.
Some teachers and schools overestimate or pressure is brought for them to do so.

It really wont reflect the hard work that some people will have been putting into revising since mocks v those who have done nothing.

I cant see how private candidates havent been kind of screwed, especially as they will have taken a whole extra year .
because you literally don't understand how much this will produce inaccurate grades.

Then you'll have to retake.
What else are the government meant to do?
Original post by Evil Homer
Update 20th March 2020: Ofqual update (Source) : Ofqual will develop and set out a process that will provide a calculated grade to each student which reflects their performances as fairly as possible, and will work with the exam boards to ensure this is consistently applied for all students. The exam boards will be asking teachers, who know their students well, to submit their judgement about the grade that they believe the student would have received if exams had gone ahead.

To produce this, teachers will take into account a range of evidence and data including performance on mock exams and non-exam assessment clear guidance on how to do this fairly and robustly this will be provided to schools and colleges. The exam boards will then combine this information with other relevant data, including prior attainment, and use this information to produce a calculated grade for each student, which will be a best assessment of the work they have put in. Ofqual will be discussing with teachers'representative before finalising an approach.

The aim is to provide these calculated grades to students before the end of July. In terms of a permanent record, the grades will be indistinguishable from those provided in other years. We will also aim to ensure that the distribution of grades follows a similar pattern to that in other years, so that this year’s students do not face a systematic disadvantage as a consequence of these extraordinary circumstances.

There will also be an option to sit an exam early in the next academic year for students who wish to and University representatives have confirmed that they expect universities to be flexible and do all they can to support students and ensure they can progress to higher education.

So, what do you make of the news? How are you feeling now a initial plan has been laid out.

Do you think this is the fairest way for students to receive their grades considering whats going on at the moment? Do you trust that you will recieve the grades that you deserve?

I really dont know, I just dont see how my teachers are going to predict me A*AA which is what i need for uni. It's looking like a gap year for me
Original post by Alex mogosanu
What’s going to happen to BTEC students though?

If you've already done at least 25% of your coursework/qualification, you can be awarded a grade based on this. If you haven't, which AFIAK would be pretty unusual in Y13, then I think you can still be awarded a teacher assessment grade like everyone else.
Original post by XxxvatxxX
What's gonna happen with gap year students doing A-Levels? Some of them don't even have predicted grades, and there's no way they would use their in-course assessment from 2 years back from secondary school...

They didn't even mention the private students with no teachers, what's happening with them?

Talk to your exam centre. If they're getting more detailed guidance on how to provide information to the exam boards then they may be able to arrange for you to submit work for assessment or to sit a mock exam to allow you to be awarded.
It will be dependent on their ability and willingness to do this but it's worth asking. If enough external candidates ask then there's more chance of teachers reps raising this with exam boards to come up with a good fair solution.
tbh there is no need to cancel exams in the first place as precautions can easily be taken!

thank god I'm done with exams

I appreciate that this may produce many inaccurate grades. In this case, they can still sit the exam later on. This isn't perfect but I'm not sure what the alternative is.
Original post by 999tigger
Its a fudge and there are going to be big winners and big losers.

I still think the better method was to either do exams or postpone them.

Whole point of A levels is to revise for the exam over a concentrated period and then get objectively marked.
Exam technique is sometimes not taught by some schools or not taught till later so mock results can be very poor and misleading.
Some teachers and schools overestimate or pressure is brought for them to do so.

It really wont reflect the hard work that some people will have been putting into revising since mocks v those who have done nothing.

I cant see how private candidates havent been kind of screwed, especially as they will have taken a whole extra year .

At GCSE, I think one of the big losers may be EAL students as it seems like they will be moderating grades based on "prior attainment".

EAL students as a group tend to make huge progress from Y7-11, but their attainment may be capped by exam boards.

Hope I'm wrong about this, though!
Hi guys,

I know many of you will have lots of emotions and thoughts on this! If any of you want to express them, a journalist from the I has called up asking for student opinions. He would need your first name and your reaction to this news if you are in year 11 and 13.

If any one fancies this, could you please send me a direct PM with the above?
Original post by harper_
Then you'll have to retake.
What else are the government meant to do?

"just retake bro" do you understand how pathetic you sound? i'm speaking about the inaccuracy of grades even if people get awarded As and A*s
Original post by Obolinda
I appreciate that this may produce many inaccurate grades. In this case, they can still sit the exam later on. This isn't perfect but I'm not sure what the alternative is.

Lmao so you think somebody who gets an A* is going to resit? you're delusional
How about students who retook this year privately? Whats happening to us

Latest

Trending

Trending