The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Kubsyy
I hate this system. What if your teachers hate you and put lowest passing grade?

I don't think they'd be able to do that anyways - any grade that they put forwards have to be backed up with evidence, and an external sourse would be making the final decision as to if they agree or not. I feel like it is the fairest way given these circumstances..
are they going to use all the mock exam done or just the latest one. because in my case you can see my improvement between the two mocks we done.
although I still think most people get like at least 1 grade higher in the real GCSE then their mock, they really should take that in to count.
I'm fine with it but they need to give more information for private candidates.
Reply 583
As an A-Level student who has had to miss multiple months of education due to health issues and illnesses, my examinations of which took place around the same time as these occurring issues my grade is quite frankly not a true or accurate image of my full ability. I’ve put a lot of time and effort in to get on top of it all in time for the real exams to get the A im told im capable of striving for but now i cant have this opportunity
Reply 584
Original post by mtanvir
I'm fine with it but they need to give more information for private candidates.

I agree, I'm in the same situation with one of my subjects
Reply 585
I’m confused, does resitting exams mean a redo of year 11? That’s unfair. :frown:
How are mocks even remotely representative of a students performance? When I was doing my highers I didnt give my all to mocks and always got better grades in the finals. It is an absolute disaster in my opinion. The exams should’ve never been cancelled and there were methods that could’ve been taken to keep them running.
How much weight will the SATs have in the GCSEs?
Original post by m.l.w
As an A-Level student who has had to miss multiple months of education due to health issues and illnesses, my examinations of which took place around the same time as these occurring issues my grade is quite frankly not a true or accurate image of my full ability. I’ve put a lot of time and effort in to get on top of it all in time for the real exams to get the A im told im capable of striving for but now i cant have this opportunity

Sounds like that qualifies for extenuating circumstances and need to make your school and exam boards aware of that and become informed on any evidence you may need to provide for it.
Reply 589
Original post by Evil Homer
Update 20th March 2020: Ofqual update (Source) : Ofqual will develop and set out a process that will provide a calculated grade to each student which reflects their performances as fairly as possible, and will work with the exam boards to ensure this is consistently applied for all students. The exam boards will be asking teachers, who know their students well, to submit their judgement about the grade that they believe the student would have received if exams had gone ahead.

To produce this, teachers will take into account a range of evidence and data including performance on mock exams and non-exam assessment clear guidance on how to do this fairly and robustly this will be provided to schools and colleges. The exam boards will then combine this information with other relevant data, including prior attainment, and use this information to produce a calculated grade for each student, which will be a best assessment of the work they have put in. Ofqual will be discussing with teachers'representative before finalising an approach.

The aim is to provide these calculated grades to students before the end of July. In terms of a permanent record, the grades will be indistinguishable from those provided in other years. We will also aim to ensure that the distribution of grades follows a similar pattern to that in other years, so that this year’s students do not face a systematic disadvantage as a consequence of these extraordinary circumstances.

There will also be an option to sit an exam early in the next academic year for students who wish to and University representatives have confirmed that they expect universities to be flexible and do all they can to support students and ensure they can progress to higher education.

So, what do you make of the news? How are you feeling now a initial plan has been laid out.

Do you think this is the fairest way for students to receive their grades considering whats going on at the moment? Do you trust that you will recieve the grades that you deserve?

I know many of you will have lots of emotions and thoughts on this! If any of you want to express them, a journalist from the I has called up asking for student opinions. He would need your first name and your reaction to this news if you are in year 11 and 13. If any one fancies this, could you please send me a direct PM with the above? -> Click here

So no mention of people doing re-takes then ?!?
Reply 590
Original post by WoodlandSorcerer
Sounds like that qualifies for extenuating circumstances and need to make your school and exam boards aware of that and become informed on any evidence you may need to provide for it.

I have extenuating circumstances too but should I wait for more info on how the school is doing the grades before I email my teachers?
I’m an independent candidate so it’s basically a massive **** you for me
Original post by viliamreis297
petition for year 12 exams to either be shortened next year with less content or to be cancelled aswell.
http://chng.it/bjb2TGff2X

Everyone will be in the same boat so grade boundaries will reflect this. You don't need to worry.
I'm hoping my centre will allow me to take my exams early or at the same time so I'm awarded some sort of a grade as I've been self teaching this year.
I've not taken on mocks at the centre, just with my tutor :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 594
Original post by AdamGirv
I'm hoping my centre will allow me to take my exams early or at the same time so I'm awarded some sort of a grade as I've been self teaching this year.
I've taken on mocks at the centre, just with my tutor :frown:

Same with me surely they cabt expect us to just retake, it's unfair on us for the work we put in
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by XxxvatxxX
What's gonna happen with gap year students doing A-Levels? Some of them don't even have predicted grades, and there's no way they would use their in-course assessment from 2 years back from secondary school...

They didn't even mention the private students with no teachers, what's happening with them?

Yep I totally agree i was planning on resitting my a levels to get better grades and now we’re left in the dark, wat do we do??
Original post by amanv
Same with me surely they cabt expect us to just retake, it's unfair on us for the work we put in

I know, plus I've already done the course once, I can't risk now wasting another year. I just want to move on.
Original post by amanv
I have extenuating circumstances too but should I wait for more info on how the school is doing the grades before I email my teachers?

Maybe someone else has a more informed opinion on this than me but if it were me I’d make sure I inform the school and exam boards as soon as possible because I don’t know when teachers are going to start this process. If it’s soon then it’s probably better to make them aware of the circumstances now so they be taken into account when they begin.
so apparently year 12s will still have to do exams but at a later date because we’ve never sat A level exams like year 13s so they are unable to predict valid grades for us, same as year 10s who have never sat GCSEs therefore grades aren’t able to be predicted for them either, whereas year 11s have sat GCSEs so valid predictions can be made
Original post by belladavies675
so apparently year 12s will still have to do exams but at a later date because we’ve never sat A level exams like year 13s so they are unable to predict valid grades for us, same as year 10s who have never sat GCSEs therefore grades aren’t able to be predicted for them either, whereas year 11s have sat GCSEs so valid predictions can be made

so I guess we Edexcel IAL peeps are lucky, we all did at least one module in January
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending