The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deborah247
Hi, I’m planning to take a gap year so I’m applying this year for 2021 entry. If I’m unhappy with the calculated grade and decide to take the exam, do I still need to put down the calculated grade on my ucas application as ‘first sitting’?

That's actually a really good question and I don't know the answer to it. I shall endeavour to find out for you. @PQ @999tigger @Sir Cumference
Hi, I’m planning to take a gap year so I’m applying this year for 2021 entry. If I’m unhappy with the calculated grade and decide to take the exam, do I still need to put down the calculated grade on my ucas application as ‘first sitting’?

Interesting question and rules arent clear,
I think its square peg round hole as it isnt even a sitting.
My way round it would be to express it as it is

BBB Covid19 calculated grade.
AAA predicted resit grade. Autumn 2020.

In the scheme of things I dont think it matters, can you explain to me why you think it matters? Medicine?

@Reality Check
Hello, I was supposed to resit my English Language exam this summer. But as a result of the virus, I don't know how I will be graded. Any ideas? Also, suppose I sit the november exam, the deadline for some unis is 15th October or 15th January. But you get the exam results in end January. Do you think unis will still consider me (after getting a 4 in Lan)
Original post by discovery01
Its not a decent way for many because a lot of students don't put their all in mocks and tbh nothing is fair even if they take into account mocks where grades are decent/high. i know a lot of people who got A*s in mocks but scrapped a B in the exams.

the thing is that you're teachers are going to take a lot more into account rather than just your mock grades. They'll take into account the level of you're classwork and whether its been improving, and also how much effort they think you've put in which they will be able to tell from you're attitude towards lessons,
Original post by 999tigger

In the scheme of things I dont think it matters, can you explain to me why you think it matters? Medicine?

@Reality Check

I want to apply for dentistry and the universities I want to apply to don’t accept a level resits so I’m worried that if I put the calculated grade on my ucas application as ‘first sitting’ and then put my actual grade as ‘second sitting’ universities will reject me because of it...
Original post by Lshort17
Birmingham City University
I have heard others are doing it too

How about newcastle

@Reality Check

Thanks, Tigger. :smile:
Hi all,

Not sure if this helps but hopefully this government Q&A will clear up some questions if you haven’t seen it already:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020
I want to apply for dentistry and the universities I want to apply to don’t accept a level resits so I’m worried that if I put the calculated grade on my ucas application as ‘first sitting’ and then put my actual grade as ‘second sitting’ universities will reject me because of it...

This is an exceptional time, the unis will know this , so normal rules wont apply.
The calculated grade isnt a sitting (you havent actually sat for an exam), it is a calculated grade. If you decide to sit the exam in September/ Nov or whenever it is that will be the sitting.
Confirm this with the uni, but I think anything else would be illogical.
100% wouldn't worry on this aspect as unis are to show discretion and flexibility. they will understand the calculated grade is imposed and does not have the same criteria of a first exam test.
@Reality Check

Do take into account rules are being made on the hoof, you can ring admissions, but they might know nothing more.
Maybe pop an email to the course organiser for peace of mind.
This is an exceptional time, the unis will know this , so normal rules wont apply.
The calculated grade isnt a sitting (you havent actually sat for an exam), it is a calculated grade. If you decide to sit the exam in September/ Nov or whenever it is that will be the sitting.
Confirm this with the uni, but I think anything else would be illogical.
100% wouldn't worry on this aspect as unis are to show discretion and flexibility. they will understand the calculated grade is imposed and does not have the same criteria of a first exam test.
@Reality Check

Do take into account rules are being made on the hoof, you can ring admissions, but they might know nothing more.
Maybe pop an email to the course organiser for peace of mind.

Thanks buddy - that's a great answer. I think 'discretion and flexibility' is key here.
Original post by Emma Watson7946
How about newcastle

I have no idea, probably best to check their website in the COVID-19 updates
Original post by Deetoxic
Hello, I was supposed to resit my English Language exam this summer. But as a result of the virus, I don't know how I will be graded. Any ideas? Also, suppose I sit the november exam, the deadline for some unis is 15th October or 15th January. But you get the exam results in end January. Do you think unis will still consider me (after getting a 4 in Lan)

Please remember rules are being made up all the time.
This is my insight.
Are you sixth form and been getting tutelage or a private candidate?
You already have a 4 and what do you need?
1. Put in an application for a calculated grade. If your coursework has improved I suspect you will go up a grade. Nothing to lose, although this is more problematic if private candidate.
2. Universities know the situation and have been told to be sympathetic. If you did decide to sit in November, then you can check if they feel that will hold you back, but I think they will be sympathetic because of covid 19. For applications it often says must have the grade at time of applying. I would expect them to waive that given the situation, but its up to them. A more sympathetic attitude is what the have agreed with ofqual.
3. If your calculated grade isnt high enough then just resit in November. I think on this aspect you will be ok.

Let us know how you get on.
Original post by Reality Check
Thanks buddy - that's a great answer. I think 'discretion and flexibility' is key here.

Thats my reading of the rules. I am most concerned about a strategy for private candidates. They are making it up as they go along, plus if you read evil homers ofqual excerpt, then they spend more time bugging themselves up at the super duper system when anyone can see its cobbled together and has lots of holes. Best makeshift I think they can do I suppose, but has a lot more variables and subjectivity than an exam. Quite an extraordinary situation that they went from attend school to this sort of exam Armageddon. Had it been my year I would have absolutely loved the calculated grade, specially considering how muchmore there was to do for exams.
Imagine I pass GCSE English because of a pandemic 😂😂
Original post by Estermont
I'm assuming if people who aren't satisfied with the grades they get choose to do exams, they can also choose which subjects they can sit, right? They didn't seem specific about that.

I would have thought this would be the case, but it doesn't seem to have been completely clarified. I imagine it would be like resits, and you could choose what to resit. Hopefully we'll get more clarity when they decide these exams can be sat.
Original post by Deetoxic

You can apply to unis with a GCSE as pending. As long as you're able to be entered for an exam that'll give you a results before 31st August 2021, you'll be able to apply to uni next year. Unis can give you an offer conditional on your gcse result.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I would have thought this would be the case, but it doesn't seem to have been completely clarified. I imagine it would be like resits, and you could choose what to resit. Hopefully we'll get more clarity when they decide these exams can be sat.

You can apply to unis with a GCSE as pending. As long as you're able to be entered for an exam that'll give you a results before 31st August 2021, you'll be able to apply to uni next year. Unis can give you an offer conditional on your gcse result.

Wat about retakes can they sit the exam in November too??
Reply 796
I'm a parent but daughter was in the middle of her 2nd round of mocks when this all happened (first ones were in November). As a result around half her Biology class did not even sit them as sent home due to medical issues and of those left many were distressed/ could not concentrate. She managed to see most of her teachers and has been given reassurance that due to the timing of their 2nd round of mocks if their marks are lower/missed they won't/cannot understandably be used and they have earlier ones to fall back on. She has also been told to carry on working, they will finish their science PAG's, courses and be set module tests etc. She is at a state school with a small 6th form so possibly easier for the teachers to make quick decisions.
Original post by Alevel/Anidiot
Wat about retakes can they sit the exam in November too??

I think the PP was specifically talking about the usual November retakes run for maths and English GCSEs, which always open to anyone who wants to sit the exam.

For the government's proposed exam sitting for students unhappy with their teacher assessed grades, I'd expect this to be open to anyone with an exam entry this year, but until we have full details, we won't know for sure.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think the PP was specifically talking about the usual November retakes run for maths and English GCSEs, which always open to anyone who wants to sit the exam.

For the government's proposed exam sitting for students unhappy with their teacher assessed grades, I'd expect this to be open to anyone with an exam entry this year, but until we have full details, we won't know for sure.

Oh I’m an A level retake not gsce sorry for that
Original post by Alevel/Anidiot
Oh I’m an A level retake not gsce sorry for that

No worries! I'd expect you to be able to sit the exams like anyone else- but everything is pretty vague at the moment, unfortunately.

Latest

Trending

Trending