The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
Talk to your exam centre. If they're getting more detailed guidance on how to provide information to the exam boards then they may be able to arrange for you to submit work for assessment or to sit a mock exam to allow you to be awarded.
It will be dependent on their ability and willingness to do this but it's worth asking. If enough external candidates ask then there's more chance of teachers reps raising this with exam boards to come up with a good fair solution.

It's worth asking but doing one mock exam or assessment won't be indicative of a solid grade they could possibly provide me...I doubt they will be able to really give me a grade if I was a resitter for A Levels :/

How possible is it they might make the resit/private candidates just do the exam when schools open?
Original post by Sidd1
lets say you do appeal cos you're not happy with the grade given does this mean you go uni the following year? Cos exams have to be sat in 2021? This is maddnesss I actually cannot believe this - our future's are ruined!!!!

this is what I was worried about this whole time. I cannot do another year of a levels. its becoming too much. I just want to move onto the next chapter of my life!!!!
Original post by Greywolftwo
I salute the teachers that will be going into school to help those who are children of key workers, vulnerable and on free school meals. At a time like this they are the real heroes.

Well said. :smile:
If we get **** grades and want to resit what will happen to our sixth form college places that depend on us getting a better mark at the resit?
Reply 84
I wonder if "other relevant data" includes previous year's results and exam boards plan to keep the grade statistics similar to previous years.
Original post by Gwil
Another private candidate, homeschooler and resitter here, feeling suspended in mid air. When can we expect some clarity on this?

Talk to your exam centre. Make it clear you want to provide them with whatever work they need to produce a grade for you.
Original post by young.one
So no lower grade boundaries and nothing at all to help get a better grade in these stressful and unfair circumstances?

My mfl and English teacher despises me.

At GCSE at least, last year's grade boundaries were already pretty low. If these were used for your mocks etc, then you're probably alright.

If you don't agree with the grade you're given, there is the option to retake.
Original post by young.one
I really hope they do because letting a teacher decide is unfair.

Exam boards will also be pegging grades given to previous attainment, there's some info on how they MAY do this here: https://ffteducationdatalab.org.uk/2020/03/awarding-grades-in-2020/?utm_source=FFT+Education+Datalab&utm_campaign=36ffe42296-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_03_20_01_21&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_69bf38d335-36ffe42296-204249157

This should make things a bit fairer- but if you really don't like your grade there is the option to retake.
Original post by loazing21
same here went from a 3 to a 7 in GCSE Physics

3 to an 8 for French mate. We’re all ****ed for uni
Reply 88
Original post by Evil Homer
You can also post your comment, but would need a first name to credit this to!

Hi, I'm Mike and I'm pissed off.
Original post by Obolinda
I'm not sure why you're insulting me. I won't be carrying on this conversation after this :smile: . But I appreciate this is not perfect and may produce many inaccurate grades

>can't answer my question
> decides to leave
I dont understand the announcement. Is the decision at the teacher's discretion?

If a teacher decides to award a student an A, do they need to submit EVERYTHING that suggests they would achieve this grade?

Also - exam boards must understand that students tend to do significantly better in the real exams than in mock exams, and assessments taken throughout the year and therefore grades awarded need be higher than the average of these non-exam assessments??
Original post by ChickenBlen
I am a resit student aswell so I'm in the same boat, I just wanted to give a little humor to a dark situation thats all.

I know - but joking about suicide is difficult to get the tone right online.
Original post by Reality Check
Time to start buying your teacher gifts of bog rolls and dried pasta, folks.

Alternative suggestions include biscuits, wine, nice bread and cheese :wink:
Original post by Sir Cumference
I wonder if "other relevant data" includes previous year's results and exam boards plan to keep the grade statistics similar to previous years.

According to the first post in this thread, they are taking into account previous year's grade distributions.

I guess that means you won't get a deluge of A* handed out just because teachers bumped up their student's predicted grades when applying to uni.
Original post by XxxvatxxX
It's worth asking but doing one mock exam or assessment won't be indicative of a solid grade they could possibly provide me...I doubt they will be able to really give me a grade if I was a resitter for A Levels :/

How possible is it they might make the resit/private candidates just do the exam when schools open?

There's really no way to know (and it looks probably that schools wont reopen until the Autumn).
Open up communication and make it clear that you're willing and keen to provide them with whatever they need if it means they're able to provide the information to get you a grade this year.
Original post by PQ
Talk to your exam centre. Make it clear you want to provide them with whatever work they need to produce a grade for you.

I've been recalled to duty for the NHS and won't have time to produce that work and finish my access course we're already being asked to do nearly 60 hour weeks, my school refused to put me in for a resit because i had a C and needed a B.
Original post by sweetstars
I'm so screwed, I didn't put in as much effort in mini tests and in my mocks I did so bad. Even if my teacher thinks I can do better, my grades don't show. I wanna cry, everything always goes downhill for me.

I feel the exact same, its really unfair.
Of course, no teacher is going to make optimistic predictions, or get even with that student who gave them a hard time.

And we can be absolutely certain that all those students who really pulled all the stops out after their mocks didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting a better grade. And all those who did well in their mocks would have done just as well in the real exam: even the many who managed to get hold of last summer's papers in advance.

I have zero confidence in the accuracy and fairness of this.
Original post by MarcosTheories
I dont understand the announcement. Is the decision at the teacher's discretion?

If a teacher decides to award a student an A, do they need to submit EVERYTHING that suggests they would achieve this grade?

Also - exam boards must understand that students tend to do significantly better in the real exams than in mock exams, and assessments taken throughout the year and therefore grades awarded need be higher than the average of these non-exam assessments??

If you read the full statement (linked in the OP) there is some detail on this.

Teacher assessment will be submitted to exam boards, they will use relevant data such as prior attainment to calculate a grade for each student. So if your flightpath suggests you'd normally get an A or a B and your teacher awards you a C, they may bump you up. Possibly.

There's some detail on how this might be done here: https://ffteducationdatalab.org.uk/2020/03/awarding-grades-in-2020/?utm_source=FFT+Education+Datalab&utm_campaign=36ffe42296-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_03_20_01_21&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_69bf38d335-36ffe42296-204249157

However, there will still be winners and losers, and it's important to remember the option to retake is always open.
When do we find out these generated grades? On results day?

Latest

Trending

Trending