The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bluerainy
I strongly hope so, since I'm a private candidate who's self studying without a tutor, so I can't really see a way of getting grades.

They have said you'll get a grade. How accurate it will be, I have no idea, but I'm fairly sure you'll be able to resit without appealing if it's simply that they didn't have enough information to grade you realistically :smile:
Original post by Bluerainy
Do you have a tutor

I do have two tutors
Original post by Mrs Tate
Although this is a nightmare for all students and teachers, my child was told that mock exams were to find out what areas needed more work. Therefore revision for mocks wasn't taken that serious for most students. Also to add predicted grades were 2-3 grades higher than actual mock exam results? My son has worked so hard attending extra lessons after school and we also employed a private tutor to help. So how can this be fair as it looks like going on mock exams he will not be able to do A levels. I have spoke to at least 14 other parents whose children also have low mock results. My son is devastated along with many of his friends! The education 'people' should seriously rethink what they are doing, as this is causing anxiety and depression amongst our children!

Unfortunately that's how the education system runs when you have a garbage PM
Cambridge International have now published a statement on their website advising teachers to collect evidence based on a number of measures. It clearly states that grades should not be based solely on mocks as they recognise that student’s work really hard between the mocks and exams and performance improves significantly. I imagine the other boards will be similar to this.
Is anyone preparing for the exam just in case they say private candidates have to sit the exam in september or november?
Original post by Deetoxic
Is anyone preparing for the exam just in case they say private candidates have to sit the exam in september or november?

well am not a Private Candidate, but still i am preparing and revising for the exam in sep/nov.
Our school has just told us “there will be tests happening next term, we are not sure when or how yet, but we will let you know all of the topics to revise over Easter.” Do you think this is fair? We’re international so 80% of our students arent in the UK anymore, and we would have to do it online, or open book. Most of us now aren’t speaking English every day, so that’s another disadvantage, and there’s poor internet in other countries. This is incredibly unfair when we were specifically told there would be no more tests, right?
Original post by Devglaze
Our school has just told us “there will be tests happening next term, we are not sure when or how yet, but we will let you know all of the topics to revise over Easter.” Do you think this is fair? We’re international so 80% of our students arent in the UK anymore, and we would have to do it online, or open book. Most of us now aren’t speaking English every day, so that’s another disadvantage, and there’s poor internet in other countries. This is incredibly unfair when we were specifically told there would be no more tests, right?

Yes that's not fair and against government advice. If I was you I'd contact a newspaper (as well as talking to your school about it etc of course)

yeah I'm going until there's an actual announcement cause as a private student, I can make huge progress in short period of time not just touch up on my knowledge before exams. Even if its just an extra week I've prepared for, I could use it. Really hope they just sort something out that doesn't require me to cram though, would be nice.
Original post by krinyapajti
Yes that's not fair and against government advice. If I was you I'd contact a newspaper (as well as talking to your school about it etc of course)

I also have been set tests in biology, chemistry and geography alevels in 6 may / June - is this fair?
Original post by skaadr
yeah I'm going until there's an actual announcement cause as a private student, I can make huge progress in short period of time not just touch up on my knowledge before exams. Even if its just an extra week I've prepared for, I could use it. Really hope they just sort something out that doesn't require me to cram though, would be nice.

Same, we could be thrown in any situation and it's making me really stressed as well, especially since I'm studying independently without a tutor cause I'm retaking, so I don't even have any evidence from a tutor or teacher to show. Meaning I might not get a grade at all, but at least hope there's an exam in September and uni's let me start in 2020 still.
Original post by Lozc3
I also have been set tests in biology, chemistry and geography alevels in 6 may / June - is this fair?

No.

I don't think they will say this, but it would be a good idea to prepare regardless, as you could end up being unhappy with your grade.

Original post by Devglaze

Cambridge International have advised schools they don't need to do this.

I would be asking your school about their justification here- but equally, if they feel they don't have enough evidence to award grades otherwise, they don't really have a choice but to set new assessed work.

Edit- to clairify, no-one has said there should definitely be no more assessments yet.
Original post by Lozc3

It's not what most schools are doing, and Cambridge International have said that it's not needed BUT there is nothing saying your school can't do this either.

If they feel they don't have enough evidence to assess you, then they've not really got any other choice.
Original post by Lozc3

Do you have to go into school for these?

I am a private candidate as well. I registered myself back in first week of March to take AS Maths (Pearson Edexcel) in May-June session. I don't have any tutor. I am just studying at home by myself because I have a feeling they will announce that exams will somehow take place a few weeks before the exam day.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I don't think they will say this, but it would be a good idea to prepare regardless, as you could end up being unhappy with your grade.

Don't you think that Universities may have their offer holders sit their own maths exams (for example) if they have no subject history to use? I guess its not up to the universities to sort out grades and the usual is that they need evidence of grades before 20 something August, so their tests might be subject to the same problems that caused June exams to be cancelled. But I'm expecting like a sudden demand to do some mock papers at an exam center so needing to achieve mostly the same grades you would have achieved in June, since they'd declare private students to not be so affected by schools being closed so that no longer serving as a reason why exams can't be held for them.

If there really were no possibility of testing, would I just need to revise until the start of uni or more like October/ November? Why are people saying September when edexcel pearson said oct/ nov? Should I keep going hard or more til like July/ August deadline?

Bro so what even. I'm supposed to contact my GCSE maths teacher to ask to provide a refference when he last taught me 3 years ago? I've already completed A Levels in Computer Science, Economics, Product design so do I actually contact my Computer Science teacher who I had write my refference for UCAS? I still don't see the clear path but okay, maybe exam boards will still want some mock papers to be done at exam centers as that wasn't clearly ruled out. @SarcAndSpark thoughts?
Original post by Lozc3

How are the tests going to happen? Online? Since all schools have been closed and we are under partial lockdown.

Latest

Trending

Trending