The Student Room Group

Helppp-how to prep??

Hey!!So basically, I'm a first year at a target uni and somehow through cold emailing, got a short internship(around 1 month) this summer with an M&A boutique.

However, rn I literally know nearly nothing about financial modelling, how to do valuations etc(cant even use Excel properly lol)- I do study a finance related degree but still barely know anything tbh . So if anyone has any suggestions on courses/resources I could check out which preferably dont cost like 500 pounds to learn this sort of stuff, pls lmk!!!
Also, if anyone else has done smthg similar in the summer, what sort of stuff would be good to know/prep in advance, and how much should we actually know.....cuz I rlly have no clue where to start with learning all this stuff but dont want to seem completely useless/stupid at the internship lol.

Thanks for reading!!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Sorry I can’t be of more use. Well done on securing your internship though! Any advice to those hoping to gain an internship in the same way?
Reply 2
Lots of online courses for learning, consider researching some.
I'd check out asimplemodel.com.

Tbh though, I highly doubt they're going to be giving you much meaningful work, so don't fret too much.
Communicate with your contact at the boutique and ask what knowledge they expect you to come in with and anything you could practise. This is perfectly acceptable to do.
Reply 4
Original post by redvelvetcake1
Hey!!So basically, I'm a first year at a target uni and somehow through cold emailing, got a short internship(around 1 month) this summer with an M&A boutique.

However, rn I literally know nearly nothing about financial modelling, how to do valuations etc(cant even use Excel properly lol)- I do study a finance related degree but still barely know anything tbh . So if anyone has any suggestions on courses/resources I could check out which preferably dont cost like 500 pounds to learn this sort of stuff, pls lmk!!!
Also, if anyone else has done smthg similar in the summer, what sort of stuff would be good to know/prep in advance, and how much should we actually know.....cuz I rlly have no clue where to start with learning all this stuff but dont want to seem completely useless/stupid at the internship lol.

Thanks for reading!!!

Hello! Will it be possible to share your company name with me in private? I am currently looking for IB experience too and I have the relevant financial modelling skills. You will really be able to help me a lot! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending