The Student Room Group

not a muslim

i come from a somali muslim household
(super strict, full hijab long skirt etc ) yet i am not muslim- have not been for 4 years. If i said this, bro the way id get disowned and slandered is crazy.
I'm not allowed to move out for uni, yet i got into one outside my city.
Should i just apply for student finance and leave? im planning to work all summer and save up anyway. i was told if i leave dont bother returning (and that's them when they think im still muslim)

Scroll to see replies

not a Muslim but I can relate to not being able to tell parents you don't follow their religion/beliefs I'd say if the course you want to do has high earning potential then get full finance loan and leave
Reply 2
the course i wanna do is med so five long years and six if i pan to intercalate w a masters (which i do)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
the course i wanna do is med so five long years and six if i pan to intercalate w a masters (which i do)

so long process but I'd say worth it. although you'd need quite a bit saved up. I got highest amount of maintenance loan and still needed some money from my parents especially since I needed to pay full rent upfront since I didn't have a Guarantor. imo as long as you have enough money I'd say go to uni away from home!
Original post by Anonymous #1
(super strict, full hijab long skirt etc ) yet i am not muslim- have not been for 4 years. If i said this, bro the way id get disowned and slandered is crazy.
Should i just apply for student finance and leave? im planning to work all summer and save up anyway. i was told if i leave dont bother returning (and that's them when they think im still muslim)

at the end of the day, it's your life and if you know you don't wanna follow that faith anymore, that's completely fine. its good that you still got a plan for how you want your future to go. as the other people recommended in the comments i suggest you apply for student finance (assuming you are 18 or will be - you'll be legally responsible for yourself). Also if they're only capable of loving you conditionally, they don't have real love for you, they just want to control you. Your people will find you in due time, i hope it all works out for you.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #3
at the end of the day, it's your life and if you know you don't wanna follow that faith anymore, that's completely fine. its good that you still got a plan for how you want your future to go. as the other people recommended in the comments i suggest you apply for student finance (assuming you are 18 or will be - you'll be legally responsible for yourself). Also if they're only capable of loving you conditionally, they don't have real love for you, they just want to control you. Your people will find you in due time, i hope it all works out for you.

idk how to go about it tho. coz yes everything is horrible now but coz they dont know we get along from their pov. idk how to just pack my stuff and dip yk. do you think i should wait to be quarter/midway first year before i go? idk if i could ever tell them im non religious but im planning on keeping them guessing like i plan on removing my scarf, dressing how i like and changing my surname to a surname thats actually from my ethnic background (its currently my dads name and a very religious arabic name)

is it ok if i could ask why you are no longer Muslim?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #4
is it ok if i could ask why you are no longer Muslim?

Hey too deep of a question to uncover. But there’s a lot of things I disagree w that I was taught. And my questions didn’t bring the right answers ig
Hey too deep of a question to uncover. But there’s a lot of things I disagree w that I was taught. And my questions didn’t bring the right answers ig

Sorry to hear that. I am Muslim, if you have any questions that can clarify any misconceptions i would be happy to help, you can DM me or if you don't want to that's fine. i was in a similar situation a while back, i had a lot of questions and i guess i had a bit of an identity crisis. Alhamdulilah i found my way out of it, it was a dark period of my life where i even contemplated leaving home. So if you want to talk about it, i could help... up to you of course. I just want you to know that its not the religion but the people that can push you away. I hope you understand and try to reconnect with your faith. pls do DM i will he happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ANOYNOMUS786
Sorry to hear that. I am Muslim, if you have any questions that can clarify any misconceptions i would be happy to help, you can DM me or if you don't want to that's fine. i was in a similar situation a while back, i had a lot of questions and i guess i had a bit of an identity crisis. Alhamdulilah i found my way out of it, it was a dark period of my life where i even contemplated leaving home. So if you want to talk about it, i could help... up to you of course. I just want you to know that its not the religion but the people that can push you away. I hope you understand and try to reconnect with your faith. pls do DM i will he happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability :smile:

Hi, thanks for the offer. I’m set on my decision have been for several years. Just too many things I disagree with that I cannot ignore but once again thanks for the offer
I understand... I wish you the best on your journey sister :smile:
May Allah guide you.
I think you should totally do it. I would keep saving money for when you move out officially but use a loan to pay for your degree. Best of luck.
Original post by burberry_butter
I think you should totally do it. I would keep saving money for when you move out officially but use a loan to pay for your degree. Best of luck.

if i stay, my parents wanna pay for it out of their pocket for their religious reasons, should i take maitenance and save that up?

Yes, provided you will be safe leaving get your finance and go for it.
I am Somali and I advise you to talk to your parents yes they can be so passionate but they at the end of the day love you and care about you and the religion thing nobody can forever you ultimately if you choose not to be a Muslim that’s on you
Original post by Anonymous #6
I am Somali and I advise you to talk to your parents yes they can be so passionate but they at the end of the day love you and care about you and the religion thing nobody can forever you ultimately if you choose not to be a Muslim that’s on you

And if you leave ofc they don’t agree with it as Muslim woman shouldn’t live alone if they are unmarried etc so them thinking your Muslim off there not agreeing with this it seems your disrespecting their religion
To OP,
Sorry you're going through this and I hope you find peace in your journey, whatever you decide. Have you considered (or heard about) talking to the Loans Company about estrangement? If you contact them with your details, you may be able to get additional support/money if you're estranged from your parents and they won't financially support you.
If this is at all relevant, take a look at this link:

https://www.standalone.org.uk/students/supportatyouruniversity/

Hope this helps 🧡 all the best.
Always trust your gut instinct and put your physical safety first. :smile:

Listen to what your common sense is telling you.
If something feels suspicious or you believe that your parents/relatives are trying to get you to travel overseas to somewhere that they will be able to punish you and stay beyond the reach of uk law- be very cautious.
Remember that uk law ends at uk borders and overseas countries based on other continents often have very different local customs & legal system than in the uk.

If you decide to leave for uni accomodation and end all contact with your religious relatives, make sure that you are able to take all your photoid & other items that you will need with you.
All your electronic items, books, bank & student finance info, cash, childhood gifts, clothing, favourite photos, jewellery and any other valuables.
There will be no way for you to get back any items that were left behind once you have moved out.

Have you checked what student finance loans and uni bursaries you qualify for?
Universities will usually wait 12 months to classify students under 25 as estranged, where there has been no criminal conviction or restraining order put in place.
There are several charities that will be able to offer you some advice and practical support.
Good luck!
Hi, Im also Somali and moved out for uni. I don't mean to dismiss what your saying in the slightest but im presuming your 18? or close. I would say really really think about the decisions you're making, outside of everything in your current situation that I think you've gone through. please shoot me a private message and we can talk in depth, but I have gone through pretty much everything under the sun and nothing you say can surprise me but I know I can be of great help.

if you ever would like to, then please just send a message.
Original post by Anonymous #7
Hi, Im also Somali and moved out for uni. I don't mean to dismiss what your saying in the slightest but im presuming your 18? or close. I would say really really think about the decisions you're making, outside of everything in your current situation that I think you've gone through. please shoot me a private message and we can talk in depth, but I have gone through pretty much everything under the sun and nothing you say can surprise me but I know I can be of great help.
if you ever would like to, then please just send a message.

Hi they can’t even if they wanted to ur on anonoymous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending